How are those rookies doing?

Chiefer

12 hours ago, Dome said:

Erik McCoy has been everything we hoped for.

From early on in camp it was clear he had won the job and did so by a pretty wide margin. I don’t buy into preseason hype anymore, so I ignored people who said he looked every bit as good as Unger. But after his week one performance [PFF #2 center in week 1 is what I saw on Twitter, for what that’s worth] just the eye test says he was probably playing near the same level as Unger, if not better at times.

He’ll have his rookie slumps and mistakes for sure but all signs are good for McCoy

I am amazed at McCoy's play. He was able to leave Carlos Watkins and his 1 career sack in 17 games alone with the guard on a stunt and pick up JJ Watt AS PART OF A DOUBLE TEAM and push him to the side and down WITH HELP when JJ had about a phone booth's room to maneuver.

The way his line dominated against lots of 3-man and even a 2-man rush was simply incredible.

This clearly makes him an upgrade over one of the best 4 centers of the last 7 years.

Overreact much?

He may wind up being a very good and very physical center. That play did not prove it nor did that game.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Deandre Baker got torched, Dexter Lawrence struggled against that Dallas OL, Xman didn't get many snaps, Love didn't get any snaps, and Slayton is hurt. Danny Dimes got his first real action in some meaningless snaps. Ballentine looked good as our kick returner and got some late snaps at CB (he should have started over Baker and garbage Antonio Hamilton).

Overall not a good first game for the rookies, but it wasn't a good game for anyone on our defense.

3 1st round picks 

10 hours ago, SkippyX said:

I am amazed at McCoy's play. He was able to leave Carlos Watkins and his 1 career sack in 17 games alone with the guard on a stunt and pick up JJ Watt AS PART OF A DOUBLE TEAM and push him to the side and down WITH HELP when JJ had about a phone booth's room to maneuver.

The way his line dominated against lots of 3-man and even a 2-man rush was simply incredible.

This clearly makes him an upgrade over one of the best 4 centers of the last 7 years.

Overreact much?

He may wind up being a very good and very physical center. That play did not prove it nor did that game.

Sick sarcasm brah! It was a quality play. Dome likely wasn't trying to claim McCoy is great solely on one play, but rather highlighting an impressive play from his debut in a thread that asks how rookies are doing. McCoy has been drawing positive reviews for months as Dome explained earlier in the thread. I'm sure you watch every Saints game though, and follow the team really closely, so I'm sure you've studied up enough on the Saints to give such an "informed" condescending response..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Sick sarcasm brah! It was a quality play. Dome likely wasn't trying to claim McCoy is great solely on one play, but rather highlighting an impressive play from his debut in a thread that asks how rookies are doing. McCoy has been drawing positive reviews for months as Dome explained earlier in the thread. I'm sure you watch every Saints game though, and follow the team really closely, so I'm sure you've studied up enough on the Saints to give such an "informed" condescending response..

It was a play almost every center in the league would make (maybe JJ is not on the ground from all of them but the pass is completed)

Tyler McLatchy probably had no idea the play he posted was a double team with a zero pass rush threat on the other end of the stunt.

The Texans were killed for their poor play and their passive pressure scheme against Brees.

O-lines typically look better than they are when the other team is afraid to rush the passer by design.

I said it was an overreaction (the video and the twitter praise without analysis) and McCoy > Unger after 1 game.

McCoy could have an impact like Quenton Nelson did last year but its hard to see it yet from that game (and that play)

He could have stayed on the zero pass rush dude and let JJ swat the pass so good on him for doing his job.

1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Yeah, comparing some nobody rookie to Unger is pretty homerish:

Where Unger left off last year. Not prime Unger.

Unless were overrating where Unger was at last year when he retired. Still good but age was catching him quick.

Im curious as to what about McCoys first game you can look at and say that’s not about what we would’ve expected from Unger last year.

Edited by Dome

• 4 weeks later...

Update for the Raiders:

• DE Clelin Ferrell: Good against the run but leaves some to be desired as a pass-rusher still. He's strong at the POA but needs to get stronger to disengage blockers more. Is a 3 down lineman who should be a solid pro, just not an elite pass-rusher ever.  4 games played, 10 tackles, 1 sack, 2 passes defended, 2 TFL, 2 QB hits.
  • RB Josh Jacobs: He is one of the main reasons we have a winning record. In the running for OROY and is our best skill position player on O already (not saying much). We need to do a better job getting him going in the passing game as we barely do so right now. 5 games played, 430 yards, 4.9 avg, 4 rushing TDs, 6 receptions, 77 yards. 
  • S Johnathan Abram: Was put on IR after week one. Was all over the field prior and laida couple big hits. Hope he can return healthy because he is the alpha and massive hitter our Defense could use. 1 game, 5 tackles, 1 pass defended.
  • CB Taryvon Mullen: Hasn't seen the field a whole lot due to having Conley, Joyner and Worley a head of him. I wish we gave him more playing time because our pass D is super up and down. Looks to be a starter down the road. 5 games, 4 tackles.
  • DE Maxx Crosby: Already in my top 5 favorite Raiders already. Broke his hand early in pre-season and missed  time in camp, but has shown some major flashes already over the past 2 weeks. Definitely needs to get stronger but the dude has insane potential. He can do it all. 5 games, 11 tackles, 1 sack 1 FF, 2 passes defended.
  • CB Isiah Johnson: Suffered a massive head injury in preseason and hasn't played at all. I think he's on IR? N/A
  • TE Foster Moreau: Taken over the TE2 role and has seen a lot of playing time with our WR corp being banged up. He and Waller are such a dynamic duo and should only continue to get better. Moreau has been a good blocker but super reliable in the passing game. Vs. the Colts he had a sick TD grab, and last week he had 2 insanely clutch and difficult catches to win over the Bears. He is going to be a 1000x better pro than college player. 5 games, 10 catches, 97 yards, 1 TD.
  • WR Hunter Renfrow: Probably my most disappointing rookie thus far. He just doesn't get a lot of looks and when he does, they are not completions. 5 games, 12 receptions, 101 yards.
  • DE Quinton Bell: On the PS. N/A