Ranking the youth on every team

minutemancl

Every year this article is written around this time where the average age of the players on every team's roster and averaged and ranked. It is always cool to take a look at and see where your team stands. Here's the article: http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2017-edition/

The top 5 youngest teams in order are the Browns, Rams, Bengals, Texans, and Colts. The top 5 oldest teams are the Cardinals, Panthers, Bills, Dolphins, and Saints. 

Besides that, some more notable things:

-The Colts were the oldest team in the league just 2 years ago and they are now the 5th youngest. 

-My Giants have steadily been getting younger, even with a now 36 year old quarterback, and have gone from the 31st youngest team in 2014 to 25th, to 14th, to 9th now in 2017. 

-3 teams that are generally viewed as being in a "rebuilding" stage, the Bears, Eagles, and Bills, rank 22nd, 23rd, and 30th respectively. The Browns, Rams, and Jets, who are also rebuilding, rank 1st, 2nd, and 6th respectively. Interesting to see such a large disparity there, even though the range of the entire list is just about 3 years. 

It's interesting, but I've never found it to be all that useful in judging anything. I'd be more interested in it if they waited until after Week 1 and came up with a separate chart that contained the average age of each team's 22 starters. For the Titans, you're having that number bumped up because of guys like Harry Douglas (32 year old #5 receiver), Matt Cassel (35 year old backup QB), Brice McCain (30 year old #4 corner), Eric Weems (32 year old #6 receiver) and Erik Walden (32 year old #4 OLB).

With that said, I am surprised to see the Titans that low. But I guess there are enough veteran pieces that it's not too shocking.

This is from The Dope Sheet and sheds a little bit of detail on the Packers 90 man roster, just some different ways of sorting it. And I think pretty representative of the rest of the league. Its definitely a young man's game

GREEN BAY’S ROSTER ...

BY AGE (as of August 10)

• 21-24: 56 players
  • 25-28: 25 players
  • 29-32: 7 players
  • 33-plus: 2 players

BY EXPERIENCE

• Rookie - 1:  42 players
  • 2-3:   22 players
  • 4-5:   10 players
  • 6-9:   10 players
  • 10-plus:    6 players

BY DRAFT ROUND

• 1st: 7 players
  • 2nd/3rd: 14 players
  • 4th/5th: 15 players
  • 6th/7th: 10 players
  • Undrafted: 44 players

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

The Bengals went from the 23rd oldest team last season to the 3rd youngest team this season.  Peko, Whit, Dansby, Nugent, and Eric Winston not being on the team anymore drastically cut our age down...

Browns went from the 31st oldest team in 2016 to the 1st youngest team in 2017.

9 hours ago, titans0021 said:

It's interesting, but I've never found it to be all that useful in judging anything. I'd be more interested in it if they waited until after Week 1 and came up with a separate chart that contained the average age of each team's 22 starters. For the Titans, you're having that number bumped up because of guys like Harry Douglas (32 year old #5 receiver), Matt Cassel (35 year old backup QB), Brice McCain (30 year old #4 corner), Eric Weems (32 year old #6 receiver) and Erik Walden (32 year old #4 OLB).

With that said, I am surprised to see the Titans that low. But I guess there are enough veteran pieces that it's not too shocking.

I think you can make some deductions from it. 

If you are an old team and you win, give the same team another shake of the dice. 

If you are an old team and you don't win, you are about to start rebuilding. The Browns had an old, expensive, ineffective defence and the year after that they had rebuild. 

If you are a young team and you are winning you are in a great spot. 

If you are a young team and you didn't win you can say you have potential. 

these positions are very polar, most NFL teams exist outside of these positions. Each of the stated positions has some merit. Most NFL teams are on the bell curve in the middle and have different levels of potential to win, and require different strategies to get there. 

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think you can make some deductions from it. 

If you are an old team and you win, give the same team another shake of the dice. 

If you are an old team and you don't win, you are about to start rebuilding. The Browns had an old, expensive, ineffective defence and the year after that they had rebuild. 

If you are a young team and you are winning you are in a great spot. 

If you are a young team and you didn't win you can say you have potential. 

these positions are very polar, most NFL teams exist outside of these positions. Each of the stated positions has some merit. Most NFL teams are on the bell curve in the middle and have different levels of potential to win, and require different strategies to get there. 

It has some value, but it also doesn't mean a ton. If your overall roster is old and you don't win, you may need to start a rebuild. However, if it's mostly older depth players with younger starters, the average age can be high but the players that are consistently on the field can still be improving and you can still point to potential.

Beyond that, it's just pretty easy to have a couple old players drive up the average and make it look a lot worse than it is, especially given just how close the average team is. Sebastian Janikowski and Jon Condo (long snapper) is the difference between the Raiders having the 19th youngest roster in football (with them on the team) or the seventh youngest roster in football (if they were removed from the calculation).

Basically, I think where your team ranks in the average age of your starters is a far better indicator of where you should be in the team building process than the average age of your entire roster. 

Archived