Why should I watch?

biggio7

This is a different thread that I don't think I saw something similar to this. It's a thread for people who need to almost be talked into watching movies they have never seen before or something like that. No specific genre.

I'm going to start off with Star Wars. I've seen some of almost every movie. But, I just can't seem to get into. I'm willing to give it chances especially with all the newer movies and then the Clone Wars movie or show? But, I'm curious about what order should I watch, things like that.

Again, not a Star Wars thread but it's just where I'm starting this thread off.

3 hours ago, TheEdenHouse said:

You should watch The Departed. Even though it's a re-make of (I think) Japanese original, which is way worse, you'll see here acting second to none. Serious drama, breakdowns, best narrative and a complex plot... 

I agree. The Departed was a very enjoyable movie with so many different moving parts.

16 hours ago, biggio7 said:

I'm going to start off with Star Wars. I've seen some of almost every movie. But, I just can't seem to get into. I'm willing to give it chances especially with all the newer movies and then the Clone Wars movie or show? But, I'm curious about what order should I watch, things like that.

Watch in order: A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Force Awakens.  Skip The Last Jedi altogether.  Then if you're still digging it watch Rogue One and Solo.  I can't comment on Clone Wars cartoon I've never watched it.  

• Like 1

It will be hard to keep this thread on track and not turn into a second "what are you watching" or "best/favorite movie" type thread but lets see what happens.

@biggio7, you should watch the ORIGINAL Star Wars for three simple reasons:
1. It boasts the most well rounded and intimidating villain in cinema history. Vader is the bar in which all cinema villains are measured. He is complex, has a complicated connection with the protagonist (so not only is he a physical threat, he also is a threat to turn the good guys bad), and you legitimately fear for anyone face to face with him on either side of the coin.
2. The practical VFX are not only revolutionary but also hold up GREAT even 40+ years later
3. While it does exist in a sci-fi setting, the plot and story transcends the genre 

My 'why should I watch' is Mr. Robot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Watch in order: A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Force Awakens.  Skip The Last Jedi altogether.  Then if you're still digging it watch Rogue One and Solo.  I can't comment on Clone Wars cartoon I've never watched it.  

Clone wars is amazing. It's the bridge between ep 2 and 3 and should be watched as such.

Also, The Last Jedi is a good watch. Just don't overpay for it.

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Modern Star Wars movies have ruined the franchise. You don't need to watch unfortunately.

In my mind, episode 3 through 6 are the only ones that exist.  Call it blissful ignorance, but the others range from mediocre at best to unwatchable garbage.

If I want to expand the Star Wars universe further, I'll read the non canon books, which are a million times better than what is being put on the screen now.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

In my mind, episode 3 through 6 are the only ones that exist.  Call it blissful ignorance, but the others range from mediocre at best to unwatchable garbage.

If I want to expand the Star Wars universe further, I'll read the non canon books, which are a million times better than what is being put on the screen now.

I can't do that unfortunately. I was excited for 7. It was a retread but capable enough to keep my excitement high for 8. Rogue One also helped. 8 destroyed my interest. Passed on Solo and won't be watching 9. Thankfully, it looks like I'll be dodging a bullet with the train wreck it looks to be.

• Like 1

This is why I started the thread to get these ideas out there. I know that everyone feels differently about those movies but if I had an idea on order, which was great and helpful! I appreciate stuff like that. @MKnight82

@Deadpulse I've never seen Mr. Robot so I can't help you with that. I've only heard great things about season 1 but like everything other show, people think it falls.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, biggio7 said:

I've seen Star Wars, and Bill Burr is 100% right in this video. They're bad. All of them. Empire too.

• Like 3