The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

21 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Alek Manoah of West Virginia's last two starts against Texas Tech and Kansas

18 IP (115 and 125 pitches respectively)
0 R
7 H
0 BB
31 K

He and Lodolo look to easily be the best pitchers in the draft at this point.  

53 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Alek Manoah of West Virginia's last two starts against Texas Tech and Kansas

18 IP (115 and 125 pitches respectively)
0 R
7 H
0 BB
31 K

I find Keith Law annoying, but one of things I respect from him is when he highlights these pitchers throwing a ton of pitches. I don't know the details for the games, but I don't understand this guy throwing 125 pitches, especially when he might not even do that if he plays in MLB. Obviously throwing pitches is different in College than the Pros, but back to back 115+ pitches seems excessive.

Just now, Dingo18287 said:

I find Keith Law annoying, but one of things I respect from him is when he highlights these pitchers throwing a ton of pitches. I don't know the details for the games, but I don't understand this guy throwing 125 pitches, especially when he might not even do that if he plays in MLB. Obviously throwing pitches is different in College than the Pros, but back to back 115+ pitches seems excessive.

I agree, which is why I listed the pitch counts.  115 maybe, but then 125 the next start is really getting up there.  Some guys can just do that though, like Trevor Bauer.  Probably helps that Manoah is a big dude (6'7" 270), but in general you don't like to see college arms used like that.  Then again, the Reds babied Hunter Greene's workload every way imaginable after drafting and he had to get TJS nonetheless.

3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I agree, which is why I listed the pitch counts.  115 maybe, but then 125 the next start is really getting up there.  Some guys can just do that though, like Trevor Bauer.  Probably helps that Manoah is a big dude (6'7" 270), but in general you don't like to see college arms used like that.  Then again, the Reds babied Hunter Greene's workload every way imaginable after drafting and he had to get TJS nonetheless.

Felt like Greene was in line to get TJS for like a year, weren't there stories last year about him having arm trouble? Wouldn't surprise me if he throw a ton of pitches in HS, and may have been one of those guys pitching and playing baseball in all 4 seasons.

6 minutes ago, Dingo18287 said:

Felt like Greene was in line to get TJS for like a year, weren't there stories last year about him having arm trouble? Wouldn't surprise me if he throw a ton of pitches in HS, and may have been one of those guys pitching and playing baseball in all 4 seasons.

His senior year of HS he only threw 25 IP.  Greene strained his UCL last summer and decided to go non-surgical and shut it down in July I think it was.  Then he was supposedly 100% going into spring training, doctor cleared and all and then made it about 5 days into spring training before tearing the UCL.  Best hope now is that this gets out of the way, he can still sit 95-97 afterwards and is good to go in mid 2020.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 9:57 AM, BillsGuy82 said:

Casey Mize throws a No-No in his AA debut.. 9 IP, 1BB, 0ER, 7K's

Will his strikeout total increase as he progresses or is what you see is what you get with great control ?

He was major league ready last year after being drafted. You just have to wait and see when Detroit is going to want to bring up their prospects. Him, Daz, Manning, Burrows, and Funkhouser(pen) all should be brought up together soon in the next year.

He has multiple plus pitches, so there is no reason to think he cant strike out close to a guy a inning. He has top of the rotation written all over him.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, devils1854 said:

He was major league ready last year after being drafted. You just have to wait and see when Detroit is going to want to bring up their prospects. Him, Daz, Manning, Burrows, and Funkhouser(pen) all should be brought up together soon in the next year.

He has multiple plus pitches, so there is no reason to think he cant strike out close to a guy a inning. He has top of the rotation written all over him.

His season average is just a tad under 1 per inning and that was with his first start being 8 innings with only 4 K's.  He likely can improve on that.  I am guessing he will be up in September and then back up early next year after we get the extra year of control.  Detroits pitching prospects appear to be ahead of schedule, so I am hoping they go with some college bats in the draft.  I know they are linked to Greene but I hope they get someone who isn't 4 years away since their window will likely start opening again in 2021.

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

His season average is just a tad under 1 per inning and that was with his first start being 8 innings with only 4 K's.  He likely can improve on that.  I am guessing he will be up in September and then back up early next year after we get the extra year of control.  Detroits pitching prospects appear to be ahead of schedule, so I am hoping they go with some college bats in the draft.  I know they are linked to Greene but I hope they get someone who isn't 4 years away since their window will likely start opening again in 2021.

Tigers should be in a good spot to get one of JJ Bleday (RF), Hunter Bishop (CF), or Bryson Stott (SS) for a college bat.  Wouldn't completely discount Andrew Vaughn (1B) being there at 5.  He's cooled off quite a bit since his hot start, but he's being massively pitched around in Cal's lineup and was the Golden Spikes winner last year.  Any of those 4 is a worthy pick at 5.  Can probably save a million on the bonus pool to go overslot later too.

35 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Brendan Mckay is destroying AA, dint think its that unlikely he could be in tampa by August or September if he keeps it up. Snell, Glasnow, Morton and Mckay is a pretty nasty 4 man rotation.

Tampa will wait until early next season and get the extra year.  They'd control him through his age 30 season if so.  Not to mention Tampa almost always gives their pitchers more time in the minors than just about everyone else.

11 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Tampa will wait until early next season and get the extra year.  They'd control him through his age 30 season if so.  Not to mention Tampa almost always gives their pitchers more time in the minors than just about everyone else.

Yep.

• 2018 1st-Liberatore, hasnt pitched yet. Going R ball when it starts
  • 2018 1st-McClanahan, in low A as a highly regarded and polished college pitcher
  • 2017 1st-Baz, still in extended spring training
  • 2017 2nd-Mercado, still in extended spring training
  • 2016 3rd-Franklin, injured on low A roster
  • 2-16 4th-McGee, at low A

It also took Honeywell 4 years to make AAA before getting injured, and it looks like McKay is on a similar path if you look at them side by side.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:30 PM, devils1854 said:

Yep.

• 2018 1st-Liberatore, hasnt pitched yet. Going R ball when it starts
  • 2018 1st-McClanahan, in low A as a highly regarded and polished college pitcher
  • 2017 1st-Baz, still in extended spring training
  • 2017 2nd-Mercado, still in extended spring training
  • 2016 3rd-Franklin, injured on low A roster
  • 2-16 4th-McGee, at low A

It also took Honeywell 4 years to make AAA before getting injured, and it looks like McKay is on a similar path if you look at them side by side.

How much do you want to impede development though just because thats the way youve done things. Granted its an insanely small sample size but McKay isnt being challenged in Montgomery.Hes striking out almost 15 per 9 and has a FIP sub 2. It seems likely that he get moved up to Durham in the bext month or two, if he continues to dominate and the rays can stay as good as theyve been (might be even better when they get guys healthy) then i think itd be foolish to keep him down without having a real 4th starter.