College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Mariota isn’t great, but by all accounts he’s an exceptionally high character dude with a great work ethic.

We could use more of those guys and someone to push Baker on a daily basis like Tuh-Rod did.

I met his first NFL OC and he told me that Mariota is a great dude, but as dumb as a box of rocks. Kinda surprised me, as this is not the narrative I’ve seen portrayed anywhere else. 

That being said, he’s a slam dunk backup QB. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I’ll be on the Grant Delpit bandwagon at pick #10 if he’s there. 

giphy.gif

I mean. Grant Delpit a year ago? Maaaaaaaybe. Grant Delpit after THIS year? Oof. Hard pass from me personally. Gimme one of the top trio of OTs or Epenesa. Hell, gimme the Isaiah Simmons chess piece. Dude could be the next Derwin James type guy where he can play LB, SS, or even pass rush from the outside.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tackling is apparently suspect.

Delpit had a great year in 2018 and got a ton of hype as a possible top ten guy this year.

Delpit proceeded to have an awful, AWFUL 2019 but still won a bunch of awards because so many of the awards committees operate on hype instead of actually watching the players they're giving the awards to.

I think if you believe 2019 (a whole, healthy season) was somehow a fluke, you probably take him back of the 1st or early 2nd. I have NO idea why he would still get mocked top 10.

I clarify, I don't hate Delpit and would not be super ticked if we took him top of the 2nd. But top ten is crazy talk for him IMO.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Delpit had a great year in 2018 and got a ton of hype as a possible top ten guy this year.

Delpit proceeded to have an awful, AWFUL 2019 but still won a bunch of awards because so many of the awards committees operate on hype instead of actually watching the players they're giving the awards to.

I think if you believe 2019 (a whole, healthy season) was somehow a fluke, you probably take him back of the 1st or early 2nd. I have NO idea why he would still get mocked top 10.

I clarify, I don't hate Delpit and would not be super ticked if we took him top of the 2nd. But top ten is crazy talk for him IMO.

Yeah he should drop. But he’s still a very good player. Not Jamal adams by any stretch of the imagination. I like him, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I’ll be on the Grant Delpit bandwagon at pick #10 if he’s there. 

Even just from a positional value standpoint not even thinking about Delpit per se, the type of player a SS has to be to go top 10 is they have to be a franchise, immediate pro-bowler, all-pro traits and intangibles type of guy like a Jamal Adams type who can be effective in pass disruption and in run support. Delpit is not that.

As a person that thinks you've had a good scout eye in the past (not that my opinion matters), I have no clue what possibly could make you think Grant Delpit is a top 10 player or really even a top 20 player, but would be interested in what you're seeing.

Even when the hype train was on last year, he was not that. As his best self, he was still a late late first to mid 2nd type of prospect at best that was going to come with highs and some serious lows.

He has nice intangibles. He has juice. He has no length.  He's awful as a pass disrupting SS with instincts. His tackling is horrendous this year, but it's not just this year; even last year he had recognition and diagnosing issues.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

exactly this...

Thomas, Wirfs, Davis, Epenesa, Delpit is my list

Davis?

As in Ashtyn Davis? Or someone else? Did you mean Raekwon Davis?

You guys with these 2nd-round, late late first round caliber safety's selected with our top 10 pick are going to drive me pure bat sh*t nuts by the time draft time comes.

I know my takes probably do the same to us.

No SS Delpit.

No FS Ashtyn Davis

No LB Isaiah Simmons

Just for the love of goodness... they are not who you think. SImmons is the best overall prospect but if you watch more than 6 games of his you'll see his deficiencies as a LB that will still his nose in it or SS with high quality instincts. Huge college production; tremendous build up speed athlete.

We need a Free Safety and Strong Safety very bad, but you can't just pick one just because.

57 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tackling is apparently suspect.

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

I mean we could do worse.  My preference would be one of the top tackles or Epenesa, but I won't mind a Safety that can tackle and cover.

He can't cover either and his pass disruption instincts are worse than his run stopping instincts.

High high intangibles; loves the game; plays with juice even when he's completely lost and giving up gashing plays. Love the player but he just ain't... at all. More hype fabrication because of the intangibles and big flash hits than substance. He'll be a positive add to the locker room until he hurts defenses and teammates realize he's a mismatch nightmare that offenses seek out.

3rd round is appropriate value. Top of the 2nd round will be where he goes because of all the intangibles and belief that some coach can fix his tackling and pass disruption issues.

His analytics on passes completed out of 17 targets are not accurate as it doesn't take into account the dozen or so blown coverages he had all year long

Edited by Mind Character

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

He can't cover either and his pass disruption instincts are worse than his run stopping instincts.

High high intangibles; loves the game; plays with juice even when he's completely lost and giving up gashing plays. Love the player but he just ain't... at all.

I'll take your word.  The few times I watched LSU, he seemed to be all over the place, flying around the ball.

5 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Davis?

As in Ashtyn Davis? Or someone else? Did you mean Raekwon Davis?

You guys with these 2nd-round, late late first round caliber safety's selected with our top 10 pick are going to drive me pure bat sh*t nuts by the time draft time comes.

I know my takes probably do the same to us.

No SS Delpit.

No FS Ashtyn Davis

No LB Isaiah Simmons

Just for the love of goodness... they are not who you think. SImmons is the best overall prospect but if you watch more than 6 games of his you'll see his deficiencies as a LB that will still his nose in it or SS with high quality instincts. Huge college production; tremendous build up speed athlete.

We need a Free Safety and Strong Safety very bad, but you can't just pick one just because.

I'm sorry, that was a miss-type. 

Derrick Brown.

Delpit is my last, I hope one of the other 4 will be there.

I would put Chase Young on there but he obviously will be gone by then.

• Like 1