College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I tend to agree with this.

He’s not gonna be mistaken for Orlando Pace any time soon, but if our RT is solid and we’re able to give Greg some help and game plan a little more intelligently he could be fine for another year.

Obviously we all want an upgrade, but franchise LT’s aren’t all that easy to find and there’s a lot of competition for them.

Yeah, if one T spot or the other is getting fixed this year, I'd rather it be RT and ride with Robinson (a decent-to-good starter) for another year. If our new OC is doing their job, they are going to be calling a hell of a lot more Mayfield bootlegs to the right, so a stud over there could really help out.

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

There’s going to be a lot of cuts next year if Pauly d is in charge. And not a lot of signings. 

Just because they stripped crap players and salaries to tank doesn’t mean that’s his only tactic.

This isn’t the same situation we were in then.

And honestly, some of these guys, Carrie and Hubbard in particular, haven’t played any better than a vet minimum guy or mid rounder would for a fraction of the price, so have at it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just because they stripped crap players and salaries to tank doesn’t mean that’s his only tactic.

This isn’t the same situation we were in then.

And honestly, some of these guys, Carrie and Hubbard in particular, haven’t played any better than a vet minimum guy or mid rounder would for a fraction of the price, so have at it.

I have a bad feeling about schobert. Not sure analytics will tell us to spend on him. 

30 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What about analytics says no?

Or are we back to using “analytics” as a vague term without context?

I’m assuming many are afraid that we will let our bigger producing players walk and not pay them so that we can get a replacement level player at the fraction of the cost ala Moneyball, small market style.

This doesn’t take into account that we have a salary cap/floor sport here with non guaranteed contracts and the ability to walk away, not to mention rollover money, etc. unlike baseball.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’m assuming many are afraid that we will let our bigger producing players walk and not pay them so that we can get a replacement level player at the fraction of the cost ala Moneyball, small market style.

This doesn’t take into account that we have a salary cap/floor sport here with non guaranteed contracts and the ability to walk away, not to mention rollover money, etc. unlike baseball.

Yeah the rules are different, you can’t apply ALL of the same concepts.

I do think we’ll see a purge of guys who aren’t playing at the level of their contracts (Kirksey, Carrie, Hubbard, perhaps Vernon), but that doesn’t mean we won’t pay anyone.

Schobert has been exceptionally productive under multiple coordinators, durable, is a high character guy and a “coach on the field” type for 3 years now. There’s no reason to believe he won’t be resigned unless he hits FA and some other team offers him a Mosley type deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah the rules are different, you can’t apply ALL of the same concepts.

I do think we’ll see a purge of guys who aren’t playing at the level of their contracts (Kirksey, Carrie, Hubbard, perhaps Vernon), but that doesn’t mean we won’t pay anyone.

Exactly. And those guys are all likely roast. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see a few trades of and for players ala a non friendly but not hateful contract for a team friendly one, draft day trade packages for players/draft picks, etc. Kirk/Hubbard/Carrie are toast and Randall is gone. It’s likely Vernon is as well.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Schobert has been exceptionally productive under multiple coordinators, durable, is a high character guy and a “coach on the field” type for 3 years now. There’s no reason to believe he won’t be resigned unless he hits FA and some other team offers him a Mosley type deal.

Absolutely agree. He deserves a payday and plays a solid defensive position in terms of need based. If we cut the rest of the deadweight, I’d bet we sign him more to up front money with the ability to walk away after 3 years or so.

7 hours ago, pnies20 said:

We won’t have any LBs. Are we going to keep Kirksey? Mack Wilson is going to be up and down again next year.

What makes everyone so fast to basically label Mack Wilson a bust (in so many words, even with where we drafted him--guy was mocked in the 2nd/3rd in many mocks, fwiw)?

He had some great moments at Alabama and some great moments as a rookie and yet the narrative across the board seems to be that he'll never amount to anything. Not seeing the quick trigger here (?). Help Tayne understand. And can't he put on five more pounds of muscle then suddenly be big enough--see the "not big enough to be anything note than a coverage guy" narrative going strong in the forum as well--? He isn't 210 lbs or anything. 🤔 Pines, answer for all the people.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Paying a Lb 8-10M a year

I think you’re kidding yourself if you think he’s only getting 8-10.  Could be wrong, but I’d expect more like 12, and that’s if he doesn’t hit the open market.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

when you can conceivable find one to draft would be against analytics. 

What analytics are you referring to?

Is there data that says you can’t pay a good player just because he plays a specific position?

Both the Pats and (iirc) Seahawks are big into analytics and both have payed an off ball LB a “big” contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

What makes everyone so fast to basically label Mack Wilson a bust (in so many words, even with where we drafted him--guy was mocked in the 2nd/3rd in many mocks, fwiw)?

He had some great moments at Alabama and some great moments as a rookie and yet the narrative across the board seems to be that he'll never amount to anything. Not seeing the quick trigger here (?). Help Tayne understand. And can't he put on five more pounds of muscle then suddenly be big enough--see the "but big enough to be anything note than a coverage guy" narrative going strong in the forum as well--? He isn't 210 lbs or anything. 🤔 Pines, answer for all the people.

He seems to miss a lot of tackles and runs himself out of position regularly. The 5th round is about where he should have been drafted and is probably a decent back-up or special teams player at this point in time. Nothing more unless he improves drastically.

• Like 1