College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

10 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I need Thomas or Wirfs somehow 

This!

I would LOVE to see Thomas fall to us, but I would be perfectly happy with Wirfs.

The best part is they are run blockers too!  Imagine the season Chubb with an OLine who can block for him...

• Like 1

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS

FA: Jack Conklin/OT
FA: Marcus Mariota/QB
FA: Vonn Bell/FS
FA: Nazair Jones/DT
FA: Eddie Vanderdoes/DT

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CONTRACT EXTENSIONS/TERMINATIONS/REWORKINGS

*Restructure Christian Kirksey's contract
*Re-sign Joe Schobert
*Re-sign Kareem Hunt
*Let Damarious Randall Walk
*Cut TJ Carrie
*Cut Chris Hubbard

NFL DRAFT PICKS

#10: Tristin Wirfs/LT/Iowa
2nd: Tyler Biadasz/IOL/Wisconsin
3rd: Colby Parkinson/TE/Stanford
3rd: Kenny Willekes/DE/Michigan State
4th: Alohi Gilman/SS/Notre Dame
6th: Essang Bassey/CB/Wake Forest
6th: Trajan Bandy/CB/Miami Fl.
7th: Brady Ross/FB/Iowa

2020 BROWNS ROSTER

QB: Baker Mayfield/Marcus Mariota/Garrett Gilbert
RB: Nick Chubb/Kareem Hunt/Dontrelle Hilliard
FB: Brady Ross
WR: Odell Beckham/Jarvis Landry/Khadarel Hodges/Derrick Willies/Taywan Taylor/Damion Ratley
TE: David Njoku/Colby Parkinson/Demetrius Harris
LT: Tristin Wirfs/Greg Robinson
LG: Joel Bitonio/Drew Forbes
C: JC Tretter/Eric Kush
RG: Tyler Biadasz/Wyatt Teller
RT: Jack Conklin/Kendall Lamm

LE: Olivier Vernon/Chad Thomas/Bryan Cox
DT: Sheldon Richardson/Larry Ogunjobi/Nazair Jones/Eddie Vanderdoes
RE: Myles Garrett/Kenny Willekes/Porter Gustin
WLB: Christian Kirksey/Adarius Taylor
MLB: Joe Schobert/Tae Davis/Willie Harvey
SLB: Mack Wilson/Sione Takitaki
CB: Denzel Ward/Greedy Williams/Terrance Mitchell/Essang Bassey/Trajan Bandy/Donnie Lewis
FS: Vonn Bell/Sheldrick Redwine
SS: Morgan Burnett/Alohi Gilman

K: Austin Seibert
P: Jamie Gillan
KR: Trajan Bandy/Dontrelle Hilliard
PR: Trajan Bandy/Dontrelle Hilliard

FUTURE NEEDS

1. Slot WR
2. Starting LDE
3. Starting SS
4. DT Depth
5. LB Depth

Edited by BleedTheClock

3 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

Can Tristan Wirfs play Left Tackle?  I've read a few articles that say he is a Right Tackle.

Yes. He has excellent footwork and can easily mirror speed rushers. He plays on the right side because he's Iowa's "Power Tackle." They always put their best run blocking OT on the right side because they are so TE-heavy. It's not that they want him away from most team's speed rushers.

Also, they have a pretty good LT in Alaric Jackson. He's not as good as Wirfs, but he has a lot of potential as well. Both could be pro bowl caliber players in the NFL. Wirfs is more likely as he is more refined in both areas, but both are a little raw & supremely talented.

Edited by BleedTheClock

Another huge blow to the draft prospect pool...

Smith has some of the best film and all-around play (deep vertical threat, 3rd down big play reliability, and combat catches) of any WR in this draft. He's not thought of as highly as others, but was going to run a high 4.3 or low 4.4, he blocks, is as tough as nails despite his slight frame, and he was the 2nd round gem with pro-bowl impact ability that scouts league wide had as their favorite prospect...

This was shaking out to be the best WR draft in history. So, far 3 key WRs have decided to return to school. It's still a class with great depth, but players like Smith are what put it over the top. He'll easily be a top 25 prospect next year assuming that he's healthy. Fringe 1st round prospect this year (but I think he had a great shot of being a 1st rounder), if all goes well he'll be a guaranteed first rounder next year.

His film is electric and gives the feeling like unearthing a true diamond in the rough. Hope he has a healthy and productive final season at Bama.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Also, they have a pretty good LT in Alaric Jackson. He's not as good as Wirfs, but he has a lot of potential as well. Both could be pro bowl caliber players in the NFL. Wirfs is more likely as he is more refined in both areas, but both are a little raw & supremely talented.

Calling my shot now as reference/prediction. No matter what, Alaric Jackson won't go before the 5th round. He's that athletically deficient. No way shape or form is Jackson a pro-bowl talent or will he ever be. No way shape or form will he go before the 4th round.

We'll see what it looks like down the line.

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

Calling my shot now as reference/prediction. No matter what, Alaric Jackson won't go before the 5th round. He's that athletically deficient. No way shape or form is Jackson a pro-bowl talent or will he ever be. No way shape or form will he go before the 4th round.

We'll see what it looks like down the line.

I don't think we're watching the same guys. He's got sloppy footwork, but he's a good athlete. He doesn't struggle to mirror speed and is a good run blocker. His struggles are all tied to his feet. Yeah those are important, but it's possible to develop those.

He's a better version of Roderick Johnson when he was coming out of Florida State. A big lump of clay to work with. Will he develop into a stud? We'll see in time. But I don't see what makes him a 5th round pick and a guy like Austin Jackson a 1st round pick.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

Can Tristan Wirfs play Left Tackle?  I've read a few articles that say he is a Right Tackle.

Peace!!!

Wirfs has the athleticism to do whatever he wants.

The question is where will he thrive best.

His positive power skill set, powerful/flexible hips, and ability to anchor and redirect in close quarters compared to his instinctual/technique deficiencies when preparing to engage or engaging Defenders on outside at tackle all suggest that Wirfs best position will be at Guard and not tackle. At Tackle, he has to wait to engage the defender in pass sets and that's where he comes undone technique wise (reaching, waist-bending, whiffing, over-setting, etc) because his instinct is to strike immediately.  His decision making and awareness (when to help; who to block) also needs maturation and development at the tackle position.He's best when he can get on people right away in run and pass pro.

When he gets that opportunity to get his hands on people immediately it's over almost every single time. He has an elite wrestling background and dominates as an immovable force when he gets his vice-grips on defenders shortly after the snap. He has the hips and feet to change direction quickly and never get out of position or give leverage to defenders on the inside. Everything happens quicker and faster on the inside; decisions and impact; everything. It's rare that a prospect has elite power, elite anchor, elite hip flexibility, elite leverage instincts, elite hand/upper body strength, elite upper body flexibility, and elite inside blocking instincts. That's the skill set of an All-Pro/First Ballot Hall of Fame Guard prospect.

This has led many scouts, personnel people, and amateur scouts to see Wirfs as having the best Guard skill set of anyone to enter the draft in decades.

Wirfs is so uber talented that he can play Left Tackle or Right Tackle or Defensive Tackle for that matter. He'll likely be able to do so at a quality level. To me though, he'll be an All-Pro Guard, but not a All-Pro Tackle out the gate. If it came to left or right tackle, I'd play him at right where's he comfortable but would cross-train him to play Left Tackle down the line.

Ultimately though, I plug and play him at Right Guard and watch him put together a HOFer career without the need of a tremendous deal of development and technique work because he naturally does what the great ones have done at guard.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's a better version of Roderick Johnson when he was coming out of Florida State. A big lump of clay to work with. Will he develop into a stud? We'll see in time. But I don't see what makes him a 5th round pick and a guy like Austin Jackson a 1st round pick.

Athleticism in this case to me is "Coordination." Roderick Johnson is actually a great comparison and one I've made except Alaric Jackson has more base power, better balance, and better instincts than Roderick Johnson did. Roderick Johnson was a good linear athlete but was not a well-coordinated athlete. I see Alaric as a better version of Johnson, but he also is not the most coordinated footwork or hips athlete.

I know for a fact that teams had a 6th and 7th round grade on Johnson because of his balance, contact balance, and footwork deficiencies. According to former scouts and people connected in league like Bucky Brooks and Lance Zierlein, Roderick Johnson was seen as a slight overdraft in the 5th round. 

I see Alaric as being a similar prospect considered late round prospect going the 5th to 7th much like a Johnson.

I think we can evaluate Austin Jackson on his own merits apart from comparing him to Alaric Jackson.  Austin Jackson has 1st round movement ability, 5th to 6th round awareness, instincts, and feel for the game, 2nd round anchor ability, 3rd round ability to handle power; 1st round knee bend. When scouts see Austin Jackson they can see a world where hard work and coaching development can help Jackson be a viable high quality starter some day. In the end, his skills likely make him a mid-to-late 2nd rounder; that is, a player with 1st round upside but too many serious question marks to take that risk. This is a league where Kaleb McGary goes in the 1st round and tackle Greg Little goes at the top of the 2nd.

I can see Austin Jackson becoming a high quality starter down the line (though he doesn't have the awareness to bet that he'll likely get there); I can't see that Alaric Jackson becoming that. The former is a 2nd-early 3rd round prospect; the latter a 5th-7th. What separates them is the ceiling and upside.