Tunsil, Stills traded to Houston

minutemancl

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

If you look at the moves in conjunction, then you can absolutely make the argument you're making.

I'm looking at this from a needs perspective. The Texans needed a young LT and got a young LT. 

they could have gotten a young LT in the draft and keep all their high picks instead. 

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, is the plan to let Tunsil walk in a year? LT is no longer a need, that carries over into 2020, 2021, etc.

That money you didn't give to Clowney now goes to Tunsil in two years. 

How is that a one year consideration?

Because Tunsil has been average his career, compared to a draft pick he’s 2nd Round Talent at best. 

Two 1sts and a 2nd for a couple of good and not great players? How is that not the over payment of the century?? 

Bill o Brian is trying to save his job this year. This is why a coach without the massive reputation of Bellicheck should NEVER be both GM and Head Coach. They are trying to win NOW to save their job since they are coach. A GM never does that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dante9876 said:

The draft picks given up is what I assume he meant. 

I get that, and it's a high price. But if I could get a cost controlled, 26 year old LT who is trending upwards when that is your BIGGEST need by far, why do the picks matter?

People overvalue picks in such a bad way when it comes to these trades. If Tunsil continues to develop and turns into a top 5 T, will the price paid matter?

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

they could have gotten a young LT in the draft and keep all their high picks instead. 

What guarantee is there that the young LT in the draft will work out? What if you end up drafting a Luke Joeckel, or a Robert Gallery?

Just now, ET80 said:

I get that, and it's a high price. But if I could get a cost controlled, 26 year old LT who is trending upwards when that is your BIGGEST need by far, why do the picks matter?

People overvalue picks in such a bad way when it comes to these trades. If Tunsil continues to develop and turns into a top 5 T, will the price paid matter?

More than that even...just helping keep your young "franchise QB" in one piece is worth quite a bit on its own merits imo.  There's hidden value in not getting Watson killed dead.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

What guarantee is there that the young LT in the draft will work out? What if you end up drafting a Luke Joeckel, or a Robert Gallery?

id rather take that risk when the texans have no shot at winning a sb. they reached for howard round 1 in hopes he becomes a LT, only to move him inside to guard while trading a premium for tunsil. o'brien clearly made this move out of desperation.

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Because Tunsil has been average his career, compared to a draft pick he’s 2nd Round Talent at best. 

I really don't know who you're watching if you're coming to this conclusion. He's improving year over year, which is what you want to see out of a young T...

Just now, ET80 said:

I really don't know who you're watching if you're coming to this conclusion. He's improving year over year, which is what you want to see out of a young T...

to be fair, although those are career bests, where do those rank compared to other starting LT's? It could still very well mean he's average.