Tunsil, Stills traded to Houston

minutemancl

4 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

bottom line is if the texans didnt screw up the draft none of this crap wouldnt have happened.

makes you wonder what would have happened if we found a way to keep Duane happy

Edited by tab

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Kind of humorous to remember that the Texans are kind of one of those teams (The future first they gave to Cleveland to move up for Watson ended up being #4, which definitely has late 1, future 1, second round pick value) 

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If the Dolphins are in a full rebuild mode for the future:

1. Why would you trade for Josh Rosen?

2. Why would you trade away an asset like Laremy Tunsil?

3. Why would you start Ryan Fitzpatrick, whose entire freaking brand is built upon winning like 4 games a year?

None of this makes sense.

1. Apparently Stephen Ross, owner of the Dolphins, told coaches that he wants a QB. Rosen just so happened to be available and they took a shot. He may or may not be the QB of the future but they also have several other chances to try. Best case scenario is he's good and is flipped for picks in two years.

2. Tunsil is a great LT but you can't ignore two 1st round picks and a 2nd. The OL this year was going to be bad regardless if Tunsil stayed or not. I'm also assuming they didnt want to pay him.

3. Do you start the seasoned vet behind a bad OL or the young QB that you just bought who doesn't know how to recognize blitzes and throws late behind a bad OL?

You're thinking about this year which is opposite of what Miami's front office is thinking. They're thinking 2-3 years from now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

bottom line is if the texans didnt screw up the draft none of this crap wouldnt have happened.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that (well, Clowney was going no matter what). A 4th to move up a spot would have saved us two firsts and a second.

I agree with that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

That haul for Miami is absolutely insane. Wow. 

Houston could have avoided all of this by just trading a 2nd to move up a few spots in the draft and get Dillard. The price you pay for not having a GM. 

yep, probably could have been even less honestly
I was stunned when they didn't and we snagged him by just giving up a 4th & 6th

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

That haul for Miami is absolutely insane. Wow. 

Houston could have avoided all of this by just trading a 2nd to move up a few spots in the draft and get Dillard. The price you pay for not having a GM. 

Eh, they had a GM. Not trading up is why he's no longer here.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this, that lack of action set up a chain reaction that led to today.

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is the price the Texans are paying to keep their young QB upright and not injured.

For sure. Late first / second round picks can certainly be overvalued - there are some big hits and big misses there. There's a good chance that you could brick all three selections quite easily. I think people just generally tend to be risk averse in trades - they want the total upside with none of the risk, which simply isn't feasible most of the time. 

Everyone should acknowledge that there is a huge percentage of risk here for the Texans, and that is perfectly fine. We will never know what the Texans would have done with those picks, so it's really pointless to think about. Once those drafts happen, you could easily find 3 players that they could have taken in each of those spots who will be studs, and you will also be able to find players in all three of those spots the Texans could have drafted that would completely bomb. 

The trick for the Texans is to keep the rest of the roster afloat, have Tunsil play extremely well, and win games. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

For sure. Late round picks can certainly be overvalued - there are some big hits and big misses there. There's a good chance that you could brick all three selections quite easily. I think people just generally tend to be risk averse in trades - they want the total upside with none of the risk, which simply isn't feasible most of the time. 

Everyone should acknowledge that there is a huge percentage of risk here for the Texans, and that is perfectly fine. We will never know what the Texans would have done with those picks, so it's really pointless to think about. Once those drafts happen, you could easily find 3 players that they could have taken in each of those spots who will be studs, and you will also be able to find players in all three of those spots the Texans could have drafted that would completely bomb. 

The trick for the Texans is to keep the rest of the roster afloat, have Tunsil play extremely well, and win games. 

I'm out of footballs, but I owe you at least five for this. Very well said.

12 minutes ago, Ajayii said:

1. Apparently Stephen Ross, owner of the Dolphins, told coaches that he wants a QB. Rosen just so happened to be available and they took a shot. He may or may not be the QB of the future but they also have several other chances to try. Best case scenario is he's good and is flipped for picks in two years.

2. Tunsil is a great LT but you can't ignore two 1st round picks and a 2nd. The OL this year was going to be bad regardless if Tunsil stayed or not. I'm also assuming they didnt want to pay him.

3. Do you start the seasoned vet behind a bad OL or the young QB that you just bought who doesn't know how to recognize blitzes and throws late behind a bad OL?

You're thinking about this year which is opposite of what Miami's front office is thinking. They're thinking 2-3 years from now.

Tanking this year directly impacts your future years. If you finish dead last this year, you don't have to use the picks you just gained to get a franchise QB. If Ryan Fitzpatrick wins you 4+ games in a tanking year, you do.