Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

31 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Andromeda wasn't a flop. 

Yes it was. They pulled all DLC plans for the game and BioWare Montreal was dissolved into their Motive Studios because of its poor sales.

Oh, and Anthem I hear is crashing PS4 consoles. Like I needed any more reason to avoid this game like the plague, keep EAing, EA. 

• Like 2

So anthem has a very fun gameplay with lots with some frustrating issues.  If they fix the issues it would be an amazing game

biggest current issues - mobs scaling off weapon level... there are reports and videos that show the level 1 rifle you start the game with will melt mobs in grandmaster 1/2/3 quicker than god roll legendary items.  The game scales mob health off weapon level, people have tested this by equiping both the level 1 and a god roll legendary and killing basic trash mobs.  the level 1 item will 3 shot them and the god roll with 5 shot them (hitting non crit areas), this is very bad for a looter game as it makes loot not matter.

Scaling through difficulty levels GM 1/2/3 - you can roll though gm 1 but in gm 2 enemies turn to bullet sponges and trash will 1 or two shot you.  Further more there is no increase in drop rates or item bonuses by increasing difficulty.

There is no stat page or any kind of explantion of how mechanics in the game work.

It is worth a play through and if they fix the issues it could be a great game, they playstyle is great and it is a beautiful game but probably released 6 months to early.

I'm actually enjoying Anthem to a degree but it is deeply flawed to the point where they may not be able to fix it or at the very least it won't be fixed before people lost complete interest. 

The Bad: 

1. Scaling is wacky.

2. Loot is uninspired and doesn't really assist in creating different builds. 

3. Loading is still too long .

4. Doing anything outside of combat is a chore (Jetpack heat mechanic, picking up quests, changing loadouts, talking to people). 

5. No customization at all besides a few differing skins/colors. 

6. Only 3 endgame missions, none of which are all that interesting or make use of any interesting mechanics. One is just the last mission of the campaign just made harder. 

7. All 3 strongholds give the same loot so your stuck playing the easiest of the three over and over unless your a glutton for punishment. 

8. Although differing skills are fun and the javelins feel a bit different their isn't a whole lot of interesting mechanics to build off of. 

9. Flying in like iron man and exploding everything in your way is a blast but the game makes no attempt otherwise to incorporate flying as a skill besides one little part in the intro where you dodge lasers for 3 seconds. 

10. Repetitive and uninspired enemies for the most part. 

The Good:

1. The general gameplay is extremely fun. 

2. The Javs at least have enough differences to really vary up their gameplay. Playing a Storm is a totally different experience than the Colossus. 

Edited by Spartacus

I would have bet my life's savings on Anthem being a pos game at launch, how could anybody be surprised that it is?

People say the gameplay is fun but from playing the demo i'll say that it's not that great. The gunplay is bad compared to a game like Apex or Destiny, the only fun thing is flying around.

14 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

Man i got Assassins Creed Odyssey on this recent sale they had and I am loving it. Haven’t played one in a while but this could end up taking top spot over Black Flag for me. 

i said the same thing a couple pages back. Still playing it, and still enjoying it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

i said the same thing a couple pages back. Still playing it, and still enjoying it.

It’s great. Really wish I would have spent the extra 17 bucks to get the ultimate edition over the standard one because i see myself playing this one all the way through. 

On 3/6/2019 at 5:02 PM, MikeT14 said:

Is Anthem selling well? How does BioWare survive two flops in a row?

I'm hoping that with Casey Hudson at the top of the organization two things happen: 

1.) Bioware can secure a loan to buy themselves out of EA, similar to how Bungie got free of Microsoft.  However, that would likely result in leaving their IPs in EA's hands, which can be a good or bad thing.  

2.) EA sells BioWare to another developer, where the IPs may or may not change hands.  The price would obviously depend on that, but since EA has the Star Wars license, at the very least The Old Republic stays with EA, and that would likely be the death of that game at this point.  

It's more likely EA views Bioware as a sunk cost, closes them down or guts them to the point that it's not Bioware anymore.  I said earlier in this thread, I was legitimately considering buying Anthem just to keep them going as an investment in a company that has provided me with hundreds of hours of entertainment over the years.  It may be in their best interest long-term to try and find some way to get out from under EA's constraints and back to making the games that have made them a success, even if it means giving up the IPs.  I want another Mass Effect game, but at this point I'm not sure we get one either way this goes. 

On 3/7/2019 at 12:29 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

This is why EA gets away with constant mediocrity....they know they have hoards of mindless sheep to throw $60 at their games, regardless of quality.   

Honestly, the launch of Anthem sounds a lot similar to the launch of The Old Republic, especially with lack of endgame things to do.  That's where they lost a lot of players early on with that game, and chances are it happens again.  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 10:02 PM, KManX89 said:

Yes it was. They pulled all DLC plans for the game and BioWare Montreal was dissolved into their Motive Studios because of its poor sales.

Oh, and Anthem I hear is crashing PS4 consoles. Like I needed any more reason to avoid this game like the plague, keep EAing, EA. 

As a huge fan of the franchise, I agree it was a flop.  What pisses me off is that people bashed the game for the bad facial animations before it game out, scaring away people from the game.  Not just criticized it in reviews, but meme'd the hell out of it.  Not many people gave it a fair shake.  

That isn't to say that the game was without faults.  Anyone new to the game was not immersed into the universe and would have no idea who the starting races are and their beefs with each other.  The game started ridiculously slow, and the main story line if followed directly without side quests ends far too early.  The planets could be done better and get repetitive later on  Those are things that are well within the controls of the developer, and not things EA forced on them, such as the Frostbite engine (which they had to do a ton of work on), losing developers to Anthem and not replacing them and generally placing this in the hands of Montreal, who only did ME3 DLC and were too inexperienced and equipped to do this title justice. 

I'm of the mind that most DLC is in some level of completion at the time of launch.  I wish that they would release what they have, as the novels were good but don't follow up with the game itself.  But they made their decision, and we've got to live with it. 

Edited by naptownskinsfan

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Honestly, the launch of Anthem sounds a lot similar to the launch of The Old Republic, especially with lack of endgame things to do.  That's where they lost a lot of players early on with that game, and chances are it happens again.  

They release beta-test quality games all the time, and people keep buying their games day 1.  I don't get it.

Speaking on another EA flop, Battlefront II is expected to launch a game mode similar to Titan mode from Battlefield 2142 at the end of March.  This will involve gameplay on the ground, in space and in capital ships.  One side will be trying to destroy the capital ship, while the other team is defending.  It is expected that the attacking team can use ground-based artillery to take down the ship, or land starfighters into the hanger bays to destroy components on the inside of the ships.  There are triple and double XP events leading up and immediately after the launch of this mode if anyone is interesting in returning to the game or buying it on the cheap.