Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

On 2/3/2019 at 8:14 PM, KManX89 said:

I'm 100% physical, too. These digital-only people want to open the door for this: 

aa6KV29.png

The whole "need Internet" to play thing was always overblown to me IMO.  What % of people are using a gaming console in 2019 (or even in 2014 or whenever the X1 dropped) without an internet connection for 24 hours?

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

The whole "need Internet" to play thing was always overblown to me IMO.  What % of people are using a gaming console in 2019 (or even in 2014 or whenever the X1 dropped) without an internet connection for 24 hours?

My little brother is one. They live out in the sticks with just the verizon hotspot that's too expensive to use with gaming. Why is connecting to the internet necessary? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I'm kinda torn on this. Some games like Blizzard titles, I don't care if they're always online because they're all online games. Single player only game? Ehh, why is it necessary? I mean I KNOW why it's necessary, the creators want to have access to you info and collect data and have control over the product. Why is it necessary for ME though? It's not.

The bad part will be when you buy a TV or some other tech product which will actually not work until you connect it online. I hope when (not if) that happens, there will be some actual push back to make the manufacturers think twice.

13 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Well, me. I lived out in the country for 3 months in the summer last year and didn’t have access to any sort of internet. Then moved to this place with my brother and the WiFi only extended to his side of the house cause it’s a long house. Didn’t have internet in here til literally yesterday cause I bought a 100 ft Ethernet cable lol

13 hours ago, iknowcool said:

60% of America has poor coverage. And a lot more on limited data plans. Unless living on the main road that runs directly through the center my county, you cant survive in the "need internet to play" world. And its like that in every surrounding county. You branch off from the main highway, and youre screwed.

5 hours ago, Tyty said:

Well, me. I lived out in the country for 3 months in the summer last year and didn’t have access to any sort of internet. Then moved to this place with my brother and the WiFi only extended to his side of the house cause it’s a long house. Didn’t have internet in here til literally yesterday cause I bought a 100 ft Ethernet cable lol

Ethernet is definitely the way to go regardless but maybe it’s time for your bro to get a new router lol

On 2/4/2019 at 10:13 PM, iknowcool said:

I'm older now. I don't play online with friends anymore. I know I am towards the minority of playing nowadays, but it is what it is.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2019 at 10:13 PM, iknowcool said:

Who cares?    You shouldnt have to connect to the internet to play games you purchased.    Online games....sure, thats obvious....but single player offline games?   There is no reason for it.   

I can play all of my digitally downloaded PS3 and PS4 games without internet.     Just another shady business practice from Microsoft.  

Edited by FourThreeMafia

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Who cares?    You shouldnt have to connect to the internet to play games you purchased.    Online games....sure, thats obvious....but single player offline games?   There is no reason for it.   

I can play all of my digitally downloaded PS3 and PS4 games without internet.     Just another shady business practice from Microsoft.  

The shift is coming and it will happen eventually. Having everything digital is inevitable. Cloud storage is cheaper than having hardware shipped to every customer, digital sales is cheaper than the discs. Microsoft just tried to do it too early

45 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

The shift is coming and it will happen eventually. Having everything digital is inevitable. Cloud storage is cheaper than having hardware shipped to every customer, digital sales is cheaper than the discs. Microsoft just tried to do it too early

Yup. However, you can still do digital and make customers feel like the actually "own" their game, like GOG does.

This is worse on consoles too because digital should mean you own the game and can take it with you to other consoles, but everyone is going to make you buy it again, or I guess to subscribe to a service to play it. At the end of the day, not only is this cheaper in terms of distribution, but the companies have firm control over their product, and can extract data from you whether you like it or not. Win, win, win. It's easier to sell to the PC market because you can't share PC games, can't return them, and basically can't sell them in physical form so nobody cares. But with console gamers haven't been conditioned the same way. It's not just gaming too, like I said earlier I dread the day I buy a fridge and it won't work unless it's synced with some server.

Edited by Mossburg

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Define "shady"?  How is requiring someone to connect to the internet once every 24 hours, and making that fact well-known prior to the launch of the Xbox, shady?  

I get the frustration from those who don't have access to the internet.  But there is nothing shady about it.  If you don't have internet, then it isn't like Microsoft withheld information and you could just as easily get a Playstation.  And if you do have internet, then what is the problem?  

Edited by iknowcool

On 2/5/2019 at 11:40 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

60% of America has poor coverage. And a lot more on limited data plans. Unless living on the main road that runs directly through the center my county, you cant survive in the "need internet to play" world. And its like that in every surrounding county. You branch off from the main highway, and youre screwed.

And what percentage of that 60% is/was upgrading to an Xbox?

I'm aware that there is a large portion of America without reliable internet, if access at all.  But that same portion aren't the ones spending $499 on a new Xbox (at the time), along with purchasing the games, additional controllers, headsets, or whatever other accessories they want.  This could be my ignorance speaking on the situation because I don't know the numbers, but I feel confident that a very large majority of gamers who were looking at an X1 or PS4 at the time had a stable enough connection to connect once every 24 hours.  It isn't like you had to stay connected (to my knowledge).  And if you couldn't, then there was always the Playstation.  

I don't know.  I mean, I definitely understood the frustration to an extent.  But it just felt overblown.  For most people upgrading to an Xbox One in 2014, I doubt internet was a hindrance.  And for the people who it was, then there was another easily accessible and less expensive option.  I mean unless someone was that big of a fan of Halo and Gears campaigns (since w/o internet, they aren't playing multiplayer anyway), then switching to a PS4 (at the time) shouldn't have made a difference.  

Edited by iknowcool