PFF Rankings: All 32 NFL offensive line rankings after the 2019 NFL preseason

TecmoSuperJoe

I take PFF OL grades with a small grain of salt; I don't trust that their graders know enough about each player's assignment on every play to grade accurately.

Still, it is nice to see the Giants with an average OL in any sort of ranking. That's a whole lot better than it has been the last few years.

• Like 1

1. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

They’re ranked first even without factoring in rookie tackle Andre Dillard, who looks like he’s already the most talented backup tackle in the NFL. This preseason he earned an 83.8 pass-blocking grade on 75 passing snaps.

2. DALLAS COWBOYS

The Cowboys look primed to regain their No. 1 spot here in 2019. On 38 snaps this preseason, center Travis Frederick looked almost back to form. He earned an 83.0 pass-blocking grade and 71.0 run-blocking grade on his limited snaps.

3. PITTSBURGH STEELERS

One of the most consistent units of the past half-decade, the Steelers are heading into 2019 with their first known starter change since the 2016 season. The good news is, they still look to be in good hands. Matt Feiler is taking over for the oft-injured Marcus Gilbert at right tackle, and Feiler earned himself a 77.5 overall grade on 72 snaps this preseason.

4. TENNESSEE TITANS

Jack Conklin didn’t get his fifth-year option picked up earlier this offseason, and if he picks up where he left off in the preseason, it looks like that might have been a mistake. His 91.4 overall grade on 40 snaps was the highest grade for any offensive lineman this preseason.

5. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Andrew Luck might be gone, but the line remains a strength. They also may finally have some depth, as Joe Haeg looked fantastic as a swing tackle this preseason, earning an 81.1 overall grade on 149 snaps.

Pretty nice change-of-pace from past adventures for @Wyld Stallyns, @tom cody, @Warhorse and the other Colts' fans. From a liability to a strength after some good drafting:

5. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Andrew Luck might be gone, but the line remains a strength. They also may finally have some depth, as Joe Haeg looked fantastic as a swing tackle this preseason, earning an 81.1 overall grade on 149 snaps.

Image result for Quenton Nelson

Edited by bzane
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, bzane said:

Pretty nice change-of-pace from past adventures for @Wyld Stallyns, @tom cody, @Warhorse and the other Colts' fans. From a liability to a strength after some good drafting:

5. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Image result for Quenton Nelson

They solidified 2 spots on the OL in one draft; one of those guys is probably already the best at his position. It can't be understated how important and impressive that is.

Also, everywhere you look at OL rankings, you'll generally find the same teams at the top. It is no coincidence that those teams have the best OL coaches. The Bears OL is generally made up of a bunch of previous JAGs that Hiestand whipped into shape. A good OL coach is supremely rare and more valuable than any other position coach. Hiestand, Scar, Munchak, Stoutland are the best of the best. Curious to see if my hypothesis holds up and the Steelers OL maybe regresses a bit and the Broncos OL performs even better than last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I had it as; Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Chicago. Close, but seems I'm underrating Dallas. 

It depends on Frederick and if he can come back to being the 2nd best Center in the league, as well as Tyron Smith and his ability to return to form.

22 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

pff is garbage but they got the Dolphins right

I agree that PFF is garbage ... I do not know how they judge the QB, but in the preseason, I could not believe that Josh Dobbs (one of the Backup QB of the steelers) had a high grade in 2 of his games even if he missed some easy throw in his 2 games and in his games, Dobbs had also had an awful interception because of a very inaccurate pass.

All these analytics and how they grade OL is interesting to say the least. PFF currently has the Chargers' OL ranked 29th. My confusion with PFF is that I initially thought the 29th ranking was only because of pass protection. If you go by Footballoutsider QB and pressure in both 2017 and 2018, we're roughly ranked around the Twenties as well. I believe 20th in 2017 (even though we had the 3rd fewest sack at only 18), and 23rd in 2018 (they included 34 QBs for some reason). I believe PFF takes into account sacks and hits/pressure for pass protection, so there's not that big of a disparity.

However, if the PFF ranking is overall, then we should technically be higher according to Footballoutsider, which had us ranked #5 in run blocking by OL.

Needless to say, that is a much bigger disparity. What does this all mean? Perhaps just that different sites have different grading system, and it's difficult to understand the methodology that they used and how sound it is.

On a side note, someone did an article ranking the OL coaches in the league currently. Apparently it goes back to 2004. Once again, not sure how sound the methodology is. There are some former Charger OL coach on there (Joe D, Hal Hunter, etc.). But the point is that Dante Scar is currently the best OL coach, and it's not even close.

28 minutes ago, Xenos said:
All these analytics and how they grade OL is interesting to say the least. PFF currently has the Chargers' OL ranked 29th. My confusion with PFF is that I initially thought the 29th ranking was only because of pass protection. If you go by Footballoutsider QB and pressure in both 2017 and 2018, we're roughly ranked around the Twenties as well. I believe 20th in 2017 (even though we had the 3rd fewest sack at only 18), and 23rd in 2018 (they included 34 QBs for some reason). I believe PFF takes into account sacks and hits/pressure for pass protection, so there's not that big of a disparity.

However, if the PFF ranking is overall, then we should technically be higher according to Footballoutsider, which had us ranked #5 in run blocking by OL.

Needless to say, that is a much bigger disparity. What does this all mean? Perhaps just that different sites have different grading system, and it's difficult to understand the methodology that they used and how sound it is.

On a side note, someone did an article ranking the OL coaches in the league currently. Apparently it goes back to 2004. Once again, not sure how sound the methodology is. There are some former Charger OL coach on there (Joe D, Hal Hunter, etc.). But the point is that Dante Scar is currently the best OL coach, and it's not even close.

Just an FYI is all. I am big supporter of what FO does and I absolutely hate PFF, but I do have to say that FO's DVOA ratings for OL's are not the most accurate, to say the least.

They even admit this very same fact.

However, it is important to understand that these ratings only somewhat separate the offensive line from the running backs. A team with a very good running back will appear higher no matter how bad their line, and a team with a great line with appear lower if the running back is terrible 

Basically, FO's system is built on the result of a single play,  how it happened and how it compares to the rest of the league's average. But how do you calculate that into the most team reliant position(s) in football---the OL-- without having insider knowledge about what each lineman's duties were supposed to be without being subjective? You can't. All we can do as fans is guess. So in order to take away the subjective guessing process they decided to rely only on the result of the play, the direction and adjusted number for run plays and use their adjusted sack % to gauge pass protection vs the average. 

PFF seems to think they can judge each offensive lineman, individually, without being subjective at all and place a grade on each player, fairly. And do all this even before the all-22 footage is even released. They have some incredible human beings over there. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 3

So they said Russell Bodine has never graded above 70 and then they praise Cody Whitehair as worth the money.

Whitehair's 2018 grade ... 70.4

O.o

Andrews grade last year ... 70.8

I am not sure if the guy who writes the blurbs actually looks at the analysis.

Edited by SkippyX