2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

Case Keenum is exactly the QB2 that we need.

Highly competitive, knows the offense well, can compete to win a game if he has to play, no one thinks he's a franchise QB, and has been a back-up QB in a mentorship role before.

He'll be inexpensive as well. He's perfect for what the next season will require.

Cut ties with Drew Stanton and Garrett Gilbert then bring in a young developmental guy in the event that Baker ain't it.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Case Keenum is exactly the QB2 that we need.

Highly competitive, knows the offense well, can compete to win a game if he has to play, no one thinks he's a franchise QB, and has been a back-up QB in a mentorship role before.

He'll be inexpensive as well. He's perfect for what the next season will require.

Cut ties with Drew Stanton and Garrett Gilbert then bring in a young developmental guy in the event that Baker ain't it.

If we can get Keenum cheap, I’m all in.

We need a vet who can push Baker.

• Like 3

I'd be fine with either Keenum or Mariota if they're cheap as a QB2 to push Baker. Both are consummate professionals, film geeks, and great locker room presence(s). TBH, I'd almost be ok, if the price was right, with Nick Foles for the same reasons.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Would love it if Stefanski could pluck some Minnesota guys like Anthony Harris. The other names are Trevor Simien, Jairus Wright, and Rashod Hill.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2020/01/15/stefanski-linked-free-agents-alter-browns-2020-nfl-draft/4/

Except for OLine, Harris is almost priority #1 for the team based on his likely contract projections relative his elite all-pro performance as measured by production analytics. He along with Jimmy Ward will be top Hybrid-Safety players (Ward more so of a box player) that can completely change the complexion of our defense and allow us to save the draft capital required to likely reach on on what amounts to be a non-productive Safety prospect.

Jimmy Ward, Anthony Harris, Graham Glasgow, Case Keenum, and Joe Schobert are all signings that have the chance to provide winning synergies to the core of the roster without sending the team in to Salary Cap Crisis.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Would love it if Stefanski could pluck some Minnesota guys like Anthony Harris. The other names are Trevor Simien, Jairus Wright, and Rashod Hill.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2020/01/15/stefanski-linked-free-agents-alter-browns-2020-nfl-draft/4/

Yeah I want Harris. 

We have a huge hole there let’s make that happen

we gotta cut Vernon too 

Don't see a free for all Mock off season thread so I'll put this in here.

Exec/Coaches

GM George Paton

OC - Klint Kubiak & Gary Kubiak

DC Joe Woods

Paton and the Kubiak's have solid ties with Stefanski and could be persuaded to come on board. Klint would basically be the OC/QB coach with his father as OC assist and consultant. Woods would bring the Seahawks/Niners scheme over.

----------------------------------------

Cut/Walk

S Damrious Randall

LB Christian Kirksey

S Morgan Burnett

LB Adarius Taylor

OT Kendall Lamm

QB Drew Stanton

Randall is a good FS but his character reeks of the bull**** Browns. If the market dries like it did last year I'd resign him for cheap if he wants to stay. Kirksey is the opposite. A great leader and character guy that just doesn't make an impact with his onfield play.

-----------------------------------

Resign/Tender

LB Joe Schobert

OT Greg Robinson

RB Kareem Hunt

OG Justin McCray

TE Ricky Seals Jones

Schobert has steadily gotten better and is one of the best LB's in the league. If he ever gets competent run defending DT's in front his run grades will dramatically improve. Robinson isn't the bust he was earlier in his career although he's not exactly solid either. I think you could do worse though and I'd sign him back for a fair deal. RSJ is better than Njoku and I'd get him back for a full year. McCray can run block.

--------------------------

Free Agency

DT D.J. Reader

OT Dennis Kelly

OG Joe Haeg

S Karl Joseph

QB Nate Sudfeld

Trying to go realistic here. I'm highly doubtful the top guys would sign here. That said, Reader is quietly a  beast of a NT. Kelly and Haeg aren't stars upfront but they're pretty solid O Lineman. Joseph when he's healthy is a serious inside presence vs the run. Sudfeld is possibly the most underrated back up QB in the league imho, is relatively young, and has starter ability. Yes..it wouldn't surprise me in the least for him to outplay Baker at some point.

-------------------------

DRAFT

1. ED K'Lavon Chaisson | LSU

Chaisson is an extremely versatile edge guy that could play primarily in space like an Anthony Barr SAM or primarily put his hand down and be another T.J. Watt. He's a good coverage defender, flashes surprising power at the point of attack, and is a slippery pass rusher.

2. TE Cole Kmet | Notre Dame

Njoku is done. Great guy but he's a terribly unreliable receiver and does nothing in the run game. Kmet's probably the #1 TE in this class and is a better prospect than Kyle Rudolph imo. If he's off the board, UCLA TE Devin Asiasi is nearly as talented.

3. DT Leki Fotu | Utah

Fotu's a massive guy inside and a good athlete. He plays high too often but that's coachable. Likely a 5T DE in Woods' scheme.

3. S Myles Bryant | Washington

He's Quandre Diggs. That's it.

4. RB Eno Benjamin | Arizona St

He's a smaller Bills Devin Singletary but actually runs angrier. Fills need as a returner and depth RB...which could be a big need with Stefanski's run/pass %.

6. OT/OG Victor Johnson | Appalachian St

Project for a zone based OL. He really fires out with quickness and animosity but lacks length and anchor strength in pass pro.

7. WR Joe Reed | Virginia

There are bound to be some diamonds in this deep class and relative unknown Reed could be one of them. He's got great quickness and attacks the ball beautifully.

7. LB Dele Harding | Illinois

Lacks  athleticism but Harding made a ton of tackles last year for the Illini.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

Exec/Coaches

GM George Paton

DC Joe Woods

Paton and the Kubiak's have solid ties with Stefanski and could be persuaded to come on board. Klint would basically be the OC/QB coach with his father as OC assist and consultant. Woods would bring the Seahawks/Niners scheme over.

Cut/Walk

S Damrious Randall

LB Christian Kirksey

S Morgan Burnett

LB Adarius Taylor

OT Kendall Lamm

QB Drew Stanton

Randall is a good FS but his character reeks of the bull**** Browns. If the market dries like it did last year I'd resign him for cheap if he wants to stay. Kirksey is the opposite. A great leader and character guy that just doesn't make an impact with his onfield play.

Resign/Tender

LB Joe Schobert

OT Greg Robinson

RB Kareem Hunt

OG Justin McCray

TE Ricky Seals Jones

Schobert has steadily gotten better and is one of the best LB's in the league. If he ever gets competent run defending DT's in front his run grades will dramatically improve. Robinson isn't the bust he was earlier in his career although he's not exactly solid either. I think you could do worse though and I'd sign him back for a fair deal. RSJ is better than Njoku and I'd get him back for a full year. McCray can run block.

Free Agency

DT D.J. Reader

OT Dennis Kelly

OG Joe Haeg

S Karl Joseph

QB Nate Sudfeld

Trying to go realistic here. I'm highly doubtful the top guys would sign here. That said, Reader is quietly a  beast of a NT. Kelly and Haeg aren't stars upfront but they're pretty solid O Lineman. Joseph when he's healthy is a serious inside presence vs the run. Sudfeld is possibly the most underrated back up QB in the league imho, is relatively young, and has starter ability. Yes..it wouldn't surprise me in the least for him to outplay Baker at some point.

DRAFT

Chaisson is an extremely versatile edge guy that could play primarily in space like an Anthony Barr SAM or primarily put his hand down and be another T.J. Watt. He's a good coverage defender, flashes surprising power at the point of attack, and is a slippery pass rusher.

Njoku is done. Great guy but he's a terribly unreliable receiver and does nothing in the run game. Kmet's probably the #1 TE in this class and is a better prospect than Kyle Rudolph imo. If he's off the board, UCLA TE Devin Asiasi is nearly as talented.

3. DT Leki Fotu | Utah

Fotu's a massive guy inside and a good athlete. He plays high too often but that's coachable. Likely a 5T DE in Woods' scheme.

He's a smaller Bills Devin Singletary but actually runs angrier. Fills need as a returner and depth RB...which could be a big need with Stefanski's run/pass %.

Project for a zone based OL. He really fires out with quickness and animosity but lacks length and anchor strength in pass pro.

There are bound to be some diamonds in this deep class and relative unknown Reed could be one of them. He's got great quickness and attacks the ball beautifully.

Stopped reading after you didn’t cut/walk Baker Mayfield. Major fail, #amiright?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Exec/Coaches

GM George Paton

DC Joe Woods

Cut/Walk

S Damrious Randall

LB Christian Kirksey

S Morgan Burnett

LB Adarius Taylor

OT Kendall Lamm

QB Drew Stanton

Resign/Tender

LB Joe Schobert

OT Greg Robinson

RB Kareem Hunt

OG Justin McCray

TE Ricky Seals Jones

Free Agency

DT D.J. Reader

OT Dennis Kelly

OG Joe Haeg

S Karl Joseph

QB Nate Sudfeld

DRAFT

3. DT Leki Fotu | Utah

I like cole Kmet!

• Like 1

Am I the only one who hasn't made up their mind about Schobert?  Is there any way he's not getting like $17 million a season from somebody?

I can see the argument with some better d-line play he won't be as much of a liability against the run, but he's just a cruddy tackler in general.  Yet if we let him walk we are going to put a huge hole in our defense.  Damned if you do damned you don't situation.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Am I the only one who hasn't made up their mind about Schobert?  Is there any way he's not getting like $17 million a season from somebody?

I can see the argument with some better d-line play he won't be as much of a liability against the run, but he's just a cruddy tackler in general.  Yet if we let him walk we are going to put a huge hole in our defense.  Damned if you do damned you don't situation.

For our scheme, LBs are not that important.

I won’t lose sleep over him leaving, but I’d like to keep him