FA 2020

drfrey13

Regarding Slay. Fans are WAY to attached to draft picks that are just lottery tickets in the end hoping to land guys like Slay.

The Raiders have ZERO at CB opposite Mullen, which puts him in a tough spot. The draft class is poor at the position so expecting a rookie to come in and start is misguided. 

The Raiders need a #1 corner if they want to field a decent defense in 2020. They have the reigning Superbowl champs in their division with more fire power than any team in the league.

I don't get you guys scrutinizing money and draft picks when it comes to getting better. If they don't find a known commodity at CB, we will be in here for a year cussing Guenther again and having arguments over which CB to sign next year in FA. 

Missing on Byron Jones and Harris left a HUGE void in the rebuilt defense. They need an answer at CB and there is no CB in the draft I trust stepping in day 1 and matching up against their schedule this season. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Regarding Slay. Fans are WAY to attached to draft picks that are just lottery tickets in the end hoping to land guys like Slay.

The Raiders have ZERO at CB opposite Mullen, which puts him in a tough spot. The draft class is poor at the position so expecting a rookie to come in and start is misguided. 

The Raiders need a #1 corner if they want to field a decent defense in 2020. They have the reigning Superbowl champs in their division with more fire power than any team in the league.

I don't get you guys scrutinizing money and draft picks when it comes to getting better. If they don't find a known commodity at CB, we will be in here for a year cussing Guenther again and having arguments over which CB to sign next year in FA. 

Missing on Byron Jones and Harris left a HUGE void in the rebuilt defense. They need an answer at CB and there is no CB in the draft I trust stepping in day 1 and matching up against their schedule this season. 

Does it mean we should give whatever it takes to get Slay? I wanted Slay long before FA started but i'm not fine giving a 1st for a guy who's nearing 30 at a position where athleticism is key. Nothing more than a 3rd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

#19 for Slay and #35 is tempting.

I'd do it. 

This draft class is deep enough that 35 is still going to net a 1st round talent at a few positions of need, depending on what we do with 12, and it's still a high enough pick to package with someone on draft day to move back into the 1st if we really really really wanted to.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Does it mean we should give whatever it takes to get Slay? I wanted Slay long before FA started but i'm not fine giving a 1st for a guy who's nearing 30 at a position where athleticism is key. Nothing more than a 3rd.

Not saying that at all, no. I certainly wouldn't give up anything more than a 3rd for the fact he is nearing 30 and the Lions can't keep him. There's a rift with Patricia and they have no leverage.

I was just generalizing the attachment to draft picks. There is certainly a "value" a player is worth depending on situation. 

From a financial standpoint... just write the check. Fans stressing about the money is hilarious to me. As if it's their money. I'd have gone all in on Jones personally. It's a major need and he was a young FA corner. The salary cap is a myth. Great players always stay with their teams if they want to afford them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

3 years 50 million. We don't know what the Raiders cap looks like, but easy to assume they can't fit in a 16 million price tag this year. 

Well, that's more per year than Jones so probably out of our budget. The guarantee per year is a bit better for Jones (3Y/46, 2Y/30 for Slay) though. The reason Jones is believed to have signed with Miami is they offered more upfront. He's getting a 11M salary in 2020 to go with his 15M signing bonus. The Raiders don't structure big contracts with signing bonus anymore, they use roster bonus in the first 2 years to be able to get away from contracts with no dead money after that so they couldn't match 26M in the first year.

Edited by oakdb36

18 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

If Mayock didn't offer the same offer and contract for Slay that was a mistake. 

Great deal for the eagles.

I don’t know I’m assuming the Raiders are going the way of the Titans double TE power running game and a defense that pressures the QB.  That’s the feeling I get from the FAs signings ( 2 LBs, DE, DT,S,CB and TE)

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Xavier Rhodes or Jimmy Smith on a 1yr prove it deal? One more body to compete for the other boundary CB gig

No on Rhodes but I liked Smith from the limited action I saw from him last year. At this point, I'm good *fine* with the corner room before the draft. Unfortunately, the team is clearly signaling to the rest of the league a need at the position.

I really wish they could have landed either Jones or Waynes.