FA 2020

drfrey13

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

I think that's more accurate. Nassib's cap hit probably low in year 1.

It may be a slightly lower cap hit in year 2,,, but we know it’s 3yr, 25m with 17m guaranteed so with that information it’s likely that the cap hits every year are relatively close. 

we “know” the third year has around a cap hit of 8M and the first 2 years have combined cap hits of 17M.  So it’s most likely he has a cap hit of ATLEAST 7M.  

I was looking at the list of players who will likely be cut after camp and the cap savings it will give us.  Here is the list:

Peterman- 2.133m

Kizer- 1.139m

Possibly Zay Jones- 1.389m

Carrier- 1.750m (note- he has a cap hit of 1.850 but he’d have received his workout bonus of 100k by then)

Note: these numbers aren’t the pure savings off the cap as the cut players salary will be replaced by the 52nd (then 53 and so on) Player.  As a general rule subtract 750k from these figures to get the actual cap savings.

its not a huge savings but is 2.75m to 3.5m (depending if jones is released or not).  That’s enough money to go into the season with to ensure when players get hurt we can afford to sign veterans to replace them.

8 hours ago, Totty said:

JFC... it's like we don't want to address the CB spot.

Meh. We swung for the fences with Byron Jones and offered him $17M a year. Miami’s deal was just structured better than ours. We also offer CHJ a nice two year deal but he liked the Chargers defense better than ours. CB will be addressed early in the draft. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

It may be a slightly lower cap hit in year 2,,, but we know it’s 3yr, 25m with 17m guaranteed so with that information it’s likely that the cap hits every year are relatively close. 

we “know” the third year has around a cap hit of 8M and the first 2 years have combined cap hits of 17M.  So it’s most likely he has a cap hit of ATLEAST 7M.  

Like you hinted, we don't really know that. If they used a signing bonus on that contract, the cap hit can be low in year 1(eg 2M base + 6M SB = 4M cap hit, he still gets 8M guaranteed in year 1). Anyway, we'll know soon enough.

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Meh. We swung for the fences with Byron Jones and offered him $17M a year. Miami’s deal was just structured better than ours. We also offer CHJ a nice two year deal but he liked the Chargers defense better than ours. CB will be addressed early in the draft. 

I'd argue that we let Slay and Jones go by, Dunbar go by (for a 5th) etc.  It's like we went after CB 1-3 but not after CB 4-5 When we didn't land one of the top three.  Grabbing a CB to pair with Mullen would literally transform our draft.  

7 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Like you hinted, we don't really know that. If they used a signing bonus on that contract, the cap hit can be low in year 1(eg 2M base + 6M SB = 4M cap hit, he still gets 8M guaranteed in year 1). Anyway, we'll know soon enough.

Yes that is true but we never use SB’s anymore.  
so yes technically he could have a low cap hit year 1 but it’s just unlikely if you go by our history 

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Yikes... 

That's a great move by MM. We have a system sticking to it and being consistent is how you build a winning organization.

Also like I have been saying for months. Joyner is not playing Safety. He is our NCB through thick and thin.

Edited by OG_C2X

18 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

That's a great move by MM. We have a system sticking to it and being consistent is how you build a winning organization.

Also like I have been saying for months. Joyner is not playing Safety. He is our NCB through thick and thin.

This has been obvious, but doesn't mean it's smart. He was terrible in that role last year, so why keep trying to put a square peg in a round hole? 

Winning organizations tailor the position based on the players skill set. 

• Like 3

I’m not going to act like I watch the All 22 of the defense but in regards to Joyner and his struggles...

Do we see him improving with a year in the system? With more talent at LB and DL? More talent at boundary CB? 

or is y’all strictly a talent thing? I think he has the skill set to thrive but we’ll see. 

7 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I’m not going to act like I watch the All 22 of the defense but in regards to Joyner and his struggles...

Do we see him improving with a year in the system? With more talent at LB and DL? More talent at boundary CB? 

or is y’all strictly a talent thing? I think he has the skill set to thrive but we’ll see. 

I don’t expect much improvement. 

I was hoping at Pick 91 we pick Darnay Holmes or Amik Robertson. Both will be solid nickel corners imo. Groom them for a year and send Joyner packing after 2020, unless he is leaps and bounds better. 

• Like 2