Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) at Packers (1-0)

swede700

Last year, Kirk Cousins passed for 425 yds in Lambeau, how many will he throw for this time?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Last year, Kirk Cousins passed for 425 yds in Lambeau, how many will he throw for this time?

• Less than 100 yds
    • 100-203 yds (Rodgers' total last week)
    • 204-275 yds
    • 276-325 yds
    • 326-400 yds
    • 400+ yds

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think Kirk does have the tools, and without knowing too much about MIN's 'scheme' or offensive coaching, could it be that they're not making it easy enough for him currently? Compare it to LAR, who put Goff into a warmed leather chair all game and ask him to throw to open reads. MUCH easier said than done, it takes monumental coaching skill, but is it maybe more up to the coaching than Kirk? I don't know, just wondering

Thing is, when Goff was coming out, there was a reason he was viewed as a potential #1 overall guy. Yes he had the physical tools, but what you saw on tape was a guy who did process quickly, got the ball out on time, and who didn't let games get ahead of him. There was maturity, leadership and calmness to his game. His coaching in the NFL has seemingly taught him good habits, and his team plays to his strengths. 

Cousins was never a clutch guy at Michigan State. He put up good numbers, but his teams never seemed to win because he put them on his back. That continued in Washington. It's become obvious here. If you want to put Cousins in a position to win, the defense has to let him get up early. Late game heroics are just never going to be his thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

You raise good points but at what point do you go in a new direction? How long can you stay on the current path of one good year, one .500 year.....one good year, one .500 year, etc?

Do you fire Zimmer? Do you fire the GM? Do you fire both? Or do we just keep on the track of what we've been doing sine 2014?

It hardly seems the time or place to talk about this, but since others are putting their opinion in about the GM I'll add my two cents. I have been on record saying I am done with Rick Spielman since the draft this year. I am still done with him. I won't say a lot more about it here because it isn't the right time but you can bet that I'll be banging the drum for Rick's firing as soon as this season is over. If you read back my posts from the offseason you'll know why. But you don't have to bother yourself to do that because you can bet when the season is done that I'll be posting exactly why I want him fired.

As far as the coach, I let the new GM worry about that. He can keep Zimmer or bring in a new guy. He is paid to make that decision and he has to be measured by the results of that decision. I would not make it for him.

Rick Spielman put himself in the hole he is in. In theory, there is time for my mind to be changed but in reality the hole is so deep that the odds of him getting out of it are vanishingly slim.

13 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Guys it's WEEK 2.

You're already talking about replacing the front office and Zimmer. Zimmer coached well enough to beat Green Bay. 

Apparently, he'd rather have the Triangle of Authority back...or Fran Foley...maybe even Jeff Diamond.  I'm not going to go into the Spielman thing any further than to say yes, he has some faults...but far less faults than most GMs this team has ever had and much less than many around the league today.      

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Guys it's WEEK 2.

You're already talking about replacing the front office and Zimmer. Zimmer coached well enough to beat Green Bay. 

I don’t think it’s a coaching problem. It’s an identifying a QB problem with limited resources. If Kirk flops as he has most of his career, does Spielman start to feel heat. I mean hypothetically two badly botched deals (Bradford and Cousins), that I think would disqualify most Gms. Spielman has used 3 firsts  on a QB plus the Cousins contract.

I realize it’s week 2, but so far, it looks like a continuation of last year. Zero progress even though he vowed to be better than a .500 QB. Patience is going to wear thin if results aren’t improved. And I don’t mean putting up 3 TDS on the Raiders. Let’s beat the Bears. The Cowboys. The Rams. Is it in Kirk?

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Apparently, he'd rather have the Triangle of Authority back...or Fran Foley...maybe even Jeff Diamond.  I'm not going to go into the Spielman thing any further than to say yes, he has some faults...but far less faults than most GMs this team has ever had and much less than many around the league today.      

I agree, Spielman is the best we’ve had in awhile. but he shouldn’t be absent from criticism because of that. That’s an attitude that leads to mediocrity.

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree, Spielman is the best we’ve had in awhile. but he shouldn’t be absent from criticism because of that. That’s an attitude that leads to mediocrity.

Oh, I agree, he's open to criticism, but unless there's a clear upgrade available, I'm not sure that cutting off the nose to spite the face is a good option to take.  While an upgrade may certainly occur, I think the risk is far greater that there's a regression.  

• Like 2

Our run game and defense should keep us in every game. We just need Kirk to not make the stupid decisions he made yesterday. He was 14/32, or 43% of passes completed! If he goes 20/32 I think we win that game. 

The biggest ones that stick out in my head were the Diggs drop on 3rd down (not Cousins fault), the forced throw to Diggs into an area where 3 Packers were extremely close and resulted in the first INT (absolutely Cousins fault, Rudy looked open), the terrible miss to Thielen who was open on an intermediate route towards the sideline, and I remember at least one, maybe two overthrows to Diggs. He did have a very nice deep ball to Diggs on the TD, Diggs made a hell of a catch as well.

19 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Our run game and defense should keep us in every game. We just need Kirk to not make the stupid decisions he made yesterday. He was 14/32, or 43% of passes completed! If he goes 20/32 I think we win that game. 

The biggest ones that stick out in my head were the Diggs drop on 3rd down (not Cousins fault), the forced throw to Diggs into an area where 3 Packers were extremely close and resulted in the first INT (absolutely Cousins fault, Rudy looked open), the terrible miss to Thielen who was open on an intermediate route towards the sideline, and I remember at least one, maybe two overthrows to Diggs. He did have a very nice deep ball to Diggs on the TD, Diggs made a hell of a catch as well.

Also the fumble, and the fumble he didn't lose.

The fumble on the scramble was a boneheaded play. He had the first down. He just needed to slide. He looked like a backup QB just thrown into the game yesterday. 

• Like 1

Just now, wcblack34 said:

Also the fumble, and the fumble he didn't lose.

The fumble on the scramble was a boneheaded play. He had the first down. He just needed to slide. He looked like a backup QB just thrown into the game yesterday. 

Great point, I did forget those.

Agreed, he 100% should've slid. I'm all for him making the decision to take off and run when the opportunity presents itself but he has to slide to not only protect himself but the football as well.

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Great point, I did forget those.

Agreed, he 100% should've slid. I'm all for him making the decision to take off and run when the opportunity presents itself but he has to slide to not only protect himself but the football as well.

The first thing I thought when seeing him dive was that he wasn't sure where the sticks were.

17 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

95% of posters saying Kirk cost the game today.......

Yet I'm the only one attacked for saying it and standing by it after being a Kirk Bobo since he was signed up until week 17 last season.

Makes sense.....

Ok...here's the point...do with it what you will.  I don't think anyone is saying that your opinion is wrong.  Most agree with you.  However, it's HOW you deliver your opinion that's the problem.  Belittling the opinions of others is not what this board is all about.  I'm not a moderator, nor do I want to be.  I may be out of line pointing out your behavior, but it's your behavior, not your opinion, that has upset a lot of your fellow posters and Viking fans.