Week 2 GDT: Still the Browns vs. New York’s 2nd Team

NateDawg

Bounce Back  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

6 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

That week 5 OT win 12-9 was a completely different Ravens team with Joe Flacco in the league, key defensive players injured, and that team not fully formed. 

I do remember the last game of the season when they were closer to fully formed. We lost. 

We beat the Jets, Bengals (twice), Broncos, Falcons, Panthers (Cam with a spaghetti arm pre-surgery), Broncos ... none contenders, none in high leverage, high pressure situations. 

Falcons were probably the best win. My point is we haven't taken that next step yet. We have a 5 game stretch where I'm excited if we can compete and win against contenders. Then, we'll know what we have.

Broncos, Panthers, Falcons and the 1st Cincy game were against teams fighting for the playoffs. After we beat them and stole their souls they began a downward spiral.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mistakey said:

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah idk what mind was referring to about not looking labored, but he looked like he was shot out of a damned cannon.

If that’s him with a hip strain and tight legs, heaven help opposing defenses.

.I'm not so sure why what I actually said is being misinterpreted.

You all are like " Oh he looked fast so he's fine. Next gen stats said he went faster than anyone so all is well so you're wrong everything is perfect."

That was not my point. I said he was "laboring" based on my perception of his movement dynamics RELATIVE to how he moves when he's unencumbered and that it will be something I watch closely going forward. That's all. Nothing crazy. 

From what OBJ said post-game and his teammates it seems I was right in that he was laboring. Let's take a look at what Odell said himself: 

OBJ's words: " I knew I would score if my hamstrings would hold up. For some reason tonight they were tight. I didn't know if I was going to make it to the endzone but God willing I did... It wasn't the fastest I could run."

Mary Kay asked him why he was grabbing his leg/hip in endzone on the touchdown... OBJ's words "I was cramping a lot tonight."

By his own words, he's fighting through and "laboring" all night in his movement. I attributed it to his hip pointer while I was watching the game. Where I may have been wrong is that it was due to cramping although he did also say his hip felt tight.

I never said he wasn't fast. I said his movement looked labored. A car that can go 350mph but has an engine that is off and laboring allowing it to go 330mph is still an elite speed car.

Edited by Mind Character

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

By 2, on the road, with them fighting for their playoff spot.

I have no idea how good they are, but beating up on Miami and AZ impresses me as much as our win against the Jets.  

We don’t what either team is yet tbh.

Indeed. I agree with the overall point for sure.

My point isn't that the Ravens have arrived and we haven't; instead it's just that we don't know who we are yet until further testing against top competition.

On that road lost at the end of the year, it was tough and hard fought for sure. We learned a lot about this team and a lot of good.

But for what we all hope for this team; for how we see them taking the next step; we all probably agree that it's about executing and finishing in a win against playoff contenders. That's the first step. The next is doing so consistently. 

So, for step one, we have Rams, 49ers, Pats, Ravens, Seahawks. The Rams, Seahawks, and Pats will give us the test we all want. The Ravens if Lamar is who he's proving to be will as well.

We'll know a lot about this team over the next 5 weeks. 

I don't think I've been as excited for a stretch of 5 games ever since 2007. Somewhere inside I'm panicking about the implications if we only win 1 or even worse none.

14 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Broncos, Panthers, Falcons and the 1st Cincy game were against teams fighting for the playoffs. After we beat them and stole their souls they began a downward spiral.

Every team is "fighting for the playoffs" early in the season. If you think that the reason the Broncos and Bengals weren't playoff contenders last year was because of the Browns then we just agree to disagree on their respective teams make-up and composition. 

I already mentioned the Falcons as being the best win, but it does bear mentioning that the context headed into that game for the Falcons was Devontae Freeman having been injured and put on IR AND the 3 out of 5 Starting OLineman being injured and another on snap limitations due to in-game injury. They had no OLine. 

That of course is not some excuse as any given week all teams have to get through the adversity of not having important players, but it just speaks to my point in that we imo haven't taken the step yet; we haven't passed the test yet of being able to beat a really good team and/or playoff contender yet. And that is what's important imo for us to figure how good this team can be.

I just don't thing those games you mentioned did that. I do believe over the next 5 weeks we'll get our chance to see what's what.

35 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

.I'm not so sure why what I actually said is being misinterpreted.

You all are like " Oh he looked fast so he's fine. Next gen stats said he went faster than anyone so all is well so you're wrong everything is perfect."

That was not my point. I said he was "laboring" based on my perception of his movement dynamics RELATIVE to how he moves when he's unencumbered and that it will be something I watch closely going forward. That's all. Nothing crazy. 

From what OBJ said post-game and his teammates it seems I was right in that he was laboring. Let's take a look at what Odell said himself: 

OBJ's words: " I knew I would score if my hamstrings would hold up. For some reason tonight they were tight. I didn't know if I was going to make it to the endzone but God willing I did... It wasn't the fastest I could run."

Mary Kay asked him why he was grabbing his leg/hip in endzone on the touchdown... OBJ's words "I was cramping a lot tonight."

By his own words, he's fighting through and "laboring" all night in his movement. I attributed it to his hip pointer while I was watching the game. Where I may have been wrong is that it was due to cramping although he did also say his hip felt tight.

I never said he wasn't fast. I said his movement looked labored. A car that can go 350mph but has an engine that is off and laboring allowing it to go 330mph is still an elite speed car.

Smh just can’t admit you’re wrong when you’re wrong 

• Like 1

Overall I am completely unimpressed with this team through 2 weeks, especially the offense and coaching.

Front seven is unreal.

We need to stop running so many slow developing deep plays. Last season everything was quick and decisive and it worked great and now we are going completely away from it why?

I thought this was a 12-4 team but I am worried we are going to go 6-10 or so. A good team would have throttled the Jets and beat the Titans.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Smh just can’t admit you’re wrong when you’re wrong 

Smh. you just can't admit I was right. Me: "OBJ looked like he was laboring but still fast." OBJ: " I was tight, laboring and cramping and couldn't go as fast as I can."

Another win in the books for the big dawg... lol

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Smh. you just can't admit I was right. Me: "OBJ looked like he was laboring but still fast." OBJ: " I was tight, laboring and cramping and couldn't go as fast as I can."

I mean I wouldn't argue in good faith either if I had to read a book chapter in response. Reading is hard lol.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

couldnt go as fast as I can? He was tracked at around 21mph, fastest in the league so far...if he is hurting...shhhesh

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Every team is "fighting for the playoffs" early in the season. If you think that the reason the Broncos and Bengals weren't playoff contenders last year was because of the Browns then we just agree to disagree on their respective teams make-up and composition. 

I already mentioned the Falcons as being the best win, but it does bear mentioning that the context headed into that game for the Falcons was Devontae Freeman having been injured and put on IR AND the 3 out of 5 Starting OLineman being injured and another on snap limitations due to in-game injury. They had no OLine. 

That of course is not some excuse as any given week all teams have to get through the adversity of not having important players, but it just speaks to my point in that we imo haven't taken the step yet; we haven't passed the test yet of being able to beat a really good team and/or playoff contender yet. And that is what's important imo for us to figure how good this team can be.

I just don't thing those games you mentioned did that. I do believe over the next 5 weeks we'll get our chance to see what's what.

Broncos in week 14 were a game back of a wildcard spot. The Bengals at 4-4 had as many wins as any other AFCN team at the time (half game back of the Steelers). Panthers were a half game out of the 2nd wildcard spot. Not great teams but teams playing for something (we weren't at that time because of our early hole even though we ended up with a better record than any of them). It isn't like the Jets this week or what playing the Dolphins would be like. That second Bengal game was like that, they had already given up.

We took the step last year to prove we were better than average.

We haven't taken any steps this year. We haven't even proven to be as good as last year. We do have the components to be though and we have the QB that took us from perennial losers to better than average in his rookie season. When it does click this year we will be dangerous but it does have to happen either this week or next or we'll be in too big of a hole to have enjoyable games.