2020 Draft thread

lavar703

19 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Smokescreen. Trying to see who wants the pick and how much they will pay to get it.

I mean, even if I was all in on a player (which I am with Chase), if someone trots out 4 x first rounders? I might be trading that pick. So this is one way to gauge interest and the value to other teams for this pick.

I’m of the opinion a trade down will just blow up in this teams face. Somehow, someway it will go wrong. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m of the opinion a trade down will just blow up in this teams face. Somehow, someway it will go wrong. 

I mean trade downs have generally blown up in the Redskins face in the Dan Snyder era.

Yes, I mean let’s look at history here.

1. The trade down in 2002 when we took Patrick Ramsey, we traded down instead of drafting Ed Reed with out natural pick.

Could you imagine having Ed Reed at FS & Sean Taylor at SS if we had still taken Sean two years later in the 2004 draft - which I would hope we would have.

2. We all know that the 2008 trade down when we took Devin Thomas (I still can’t believe he busted, he was a beast in college/so much ability), Fred Davis and Malcolm Kelly blew up in our faces.

3. The trade down in 2011 didn't exactly blow up in our faces bc Ryan Kerrigan did still turn out to be a good player, but we did pass on an elite DL in JJ Watt.

4. 2014 we traded down instead of drafting Dexter Lawrence (Cowboys) and missed we on Stephon Tuitt (Pitt DE/DT) bc of that trade down. We got ok players but the ones we passed on were better once again.

5. 2015 we traded down in round 3 passing on the Seahawks Tyler Lockett to draft Matt Jones.

Those are some lowlights of us trading down and passing on the best talent available w/ our natural picks. I'm sure there are more but those come to mind off the top of my head.

So, as we both agree the smart move is to draft the best prospect in the 2020 draft and take Chase Young to make our front 4 & our top 6 rotation along the DL one of the best in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Why not be OPEN to receiving an offer? What do we have to lose to be OPEN? We haven’t accepted anything. This is a stupid story- every team and every person is OPEN to receiving an offer 

Doc- you've been posting long enough now that I'm sure you're open to Making and Receiving an offer !! :D :D B|

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Why not be OPEN to receiving an offer? What do we have to lose to be OPEN? We haven’t accepted anything. This is a stupid story- every team and every person is OPEN to receiving an offer 

Absolutely.  Plus our best opportunity is to drum up offers so the lions are scared someone takes their target and swaps with us and we get Young + Bonus pick.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The easy solution to that is for the Redskins to draft him 2nd overall.

Correct but the way they have moved in Free Agency maybe says they are willing to add/build around multiple pieces oppose to just 1 guy. Now if Young is Rivera's Cooper/Hooper than he's the pick. Yet if not we have seen Rivera miss out on those guys and settle for less. 

I stand by getting 3 1st round picks for the #2 pick but it would be a mistake to settle for anything less. Young could make this defense even better. Maybe not leading to wins immediately, but he would be a hell of a building block to add along with Payne, Allen, and Sweat. Add Chase that's a front 4 I could live with. That's Culture Change, leading the Defense to top rankings, and having opponents scoring no more than 21 points against. 

Yet you add a Jeudy,  Thomas, and McKinney or Delpit that's a TEAM ready to compete in the league. Plus all guys fit the Culture. John Gruden just did this last year with the Raiders.  

29 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

2 for 5, 18, and 56. 

Simmons
Lamb
Trautman 

I’d be shocked if Lamb is still there around 18. Not to mention it would almost be criminal to trade down and not get a tackle. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The Lions would just take Young.

Yeah I think so too. If Young is there, there’s no way Matt Patricia let's the Lions pass on the best defensive prospect in the draft. They passed on some great D prospects last year for Hockenson when they probably should’ve taken one on those defenders at 8, I would have.

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Correct but the way they have moved in Free Agency maybe says they are willing to add/build around multiple pieces oppose to just 1 guy. Now if Young is Rivera's Cooper/Hooper than he's the pick. Yet if not we have seen Rivera miss out on those guys and settle for less. 

I stand by getting 3 1st round picks for the #2 pick but it would be a mistake to settle for anything less. Young could make this defense even better. Maybe not leading to wins immediately, but he would be a hell of a building block to add along with Payne, Allen, and Sweat. Add Chase that's a front 4 I could live with. That's Culture Change, leading the Defense to top rankings, and having opponents scoring no more than 21 points against. 

Yet you add a Jeudy,  Thomas, and McKinney or Delpit that's a TEAM ready to compete in the league. Plus all guys fit the Culture. John Gruden just did this last year with the Raiders.  

I stand by trading as well.

Skins drafted a first round DL the last 3 years with it costing us our 2nd this one. Its a solid DL already. And every other position is getting ignored.

Slightly improving the DL doesnt equate significantly improving up to 3 other positions while we have a solid DL atm. 10th in sacks, 2 away from top 5 with the line rarely ever at full strength last year.

Overall cost to build a 4 man front could be 6 first round picks and a 2nd or 2. Since we already have 3-1st and a 2nd invested in it. The cost it too great. And it shows because everywhere else is suffering. Need to offset that and address other areas of major needs.

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I stand by trading as well.

Skins drafted a first round DL the last 3 years with it costing us our 2nd this one. Its a solid DL already. And every other position is getting ignored.

Slightly improving the DL doesnt equate significantly improving up to 3 other positions while we have a solid DL atm. 10th in sacks, 2 away from top 5 with the line rarely ever at full strength last year.

Overall cost to build a 4 man front could be 6 first round picks and a 2nd or 2. Since we already have 3-1st and a 2nd invested in it. The cost it too great. And it shows because everywhere else is suffering. Need to offset that and address other areas of major needs.

But that’s a silly reason not to take Young. He’s clearly head and shoulders better than the current talent we have. Kerrigan is old and clearly slowing down, Anderson isn’t good and Orchard is a back up. Allen, Payne and Ioannidis are not 4-3 DEs. So right now we’re relying on Sweat who struggled as a rookie and Kerrigan who is limited to one side of the field because of his hearing issue. 

• Like 2