2019 WEEK 3 PACKERS vs broncos GAME DAY THREAD

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Everything one would read in this thread points exactly to what he said. Graham missed a day of practice and you were triggered by it.

Rodgers and LaFleur need to get Graham the ball, just that simple. He's best vertically now, time to have a staff that figures out what our players are good at and play with that knowledge and not force them into a scheme they don't fit. There should be one seam shot to Graham every half. Move the safety to the other side of the field with your eyes, throw high to Graham and hope he boxes out and grabs it. Worst case you overthrow it to empty grass. 

There should be a boundary shot to MVS called every half too. There are very few CBs in the league that can run vertically with him.

In the stretches our offense has stalled LaFleur and Rodgers have done an extremely poor job of planned attacks. As an offensive playcaller there needs to be one vertical shot taken every quarter. A seam shot taken, stretch plays that attack the alleys. You need to feel as a defensive player/play caller that every blade of grass needs to be defended. They attacked like that in the first Q last week and then got super stale. Call the plays and if Rodgers doesn't throw the shots, keep bitching at him until he does. 

My feelings of Graham literally have nothing to do with this week's injury report. 

CB Josh Jackson answering a reporters' question about his lack of playing time:

“Mentally, I’ve been absolutely great,” he said. “As far as playing time, it’s not something I’m concerned about. I’m really just doing what I can to help the team. I think the team is what’s most important right now. I’m not trying to be selfish. If I was selfish right now that would put me in a bad spot mentally and a bad spot as a teammate. "

If tasked with playing safety, or the hybrid safety-linebacker role Greene occupied, Jackson felt he could do it.

“Yeah, for sure,” he said. “I think I have the versatility to be able to go to any spot, for real. I just gotta make sure I’m learning it all. It’s a lot. It’s a lot of different spots and a lot of different jobs so I just gotta make sure whatever I’m playing I’m up to date on what I’m supposed to be doing and just knowing my assignments.”

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

CB Josh Jackson answering a reporters' question about his lack of playing time:

“Mentally, I’ve been absolutely great,” he said. “As far as playing time, it’s not something I’m concerned about. I’m really just doing what I can to help the team. I think the team is what’s most important right now. I’m not trying to be selfish. If I was selfish right now that would put me in a bad spot mentally and a bad spot as a teammate. "

If tasked with playing safety, or the hybrid safety-linebacker role Greene occupied, Jackson felt he could do it.

“Yeah, for sure,” he said. “I think I have the versatility to be able to go to any spot, for real. I just gotta make sure I’m learning it all. It’s a lot. It’s a lot of different spots and a lot of different jobs so I just gotta make sure whatever I’m playing I’m up to date on what I’m supposed to be doing and just knowing my assignments.”

This was kind of nice to hear. He has reason to be irritated with his lack of playing time. But he has a better reason to take a great attitude and work at getting better.

As it stands, three outcomes seems possible to me. He might gradually find a really productive role on the team; he might never be an NFL stud the way he was a college stud; or he might be like Micah Hyde and do much better elsewhere.

I hope for the first and suspect the last.

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I'm kind of excited to see Tonyan as a focal point of the offense if Graham can't go. Time to see if we just have a career tease on our hands or a guy that we can pair with Sternburger and sign/draft a blocking TE and have our TE group set for years.

IDK if Tonyan is anything either but I'd rather see what he can do than see any more of Graham, I know that.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm kind of excited to see Tonyan as a focal point of the offense if Graham can't go. Time to see if we just have a career tease on our hands or a guy that we can pair with Sternburger and sign/draft a blocking TE and have our TE group set for years.

Evan Baylis, your new blocking TE. How excited are we?

I liked the little I saw of Baylis in the last pre-season game.  Graham has sucked yeti crap from his Seahawk days up till now.  At least when you consider his compensation.  That being said, with bullets live here in prime time I don't expect much from Baylis anytime soon.  I will hope for something more from Tonyan.  Graham can just go away.  Go buy yourself another helicopter and fly away.

• Like 1

One small favor :
Can we please put a moratorium on the Jimmy Graham whining/bashing/kvetching in the Game Day Thread ?
You've all stated your case eleventy million times in a dozen threads.

5bf4ace7a2429.image.jpg?resize=400,476

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm kind of excited to see Tonyan as a focal point of the offense

Me too, and Tonyan was one of the players identified as a breakout candidate by several posters here.
He spent his offseason training with 49er TE Kittle, bulking up and honing his craft.
Time to cut him loose on Sunday afternoon.

• Like 2

more on broncos embattled OT Garrett Bolles

"Fangio said has patience with Bolles. Munchak and Fangio talked with him earlier in the week, with Munchak talking to him extensively. They need improvement and the elimination of penalties. Has 26 over first 34 games"

I forgot that Munchak went to Denver, top notch OL coach

34 minutes ago, 15412 said:

I liked the little I saw of Baylis in the last pre-season game.  Graham has sucked yeti crap from his Seahawk days up till now.  At least when you consider his compensation.  That being said, with bullets live here in prime time I don't expect much from Baylis anytime soon.  I will hope for something more from Tonyan.  Graham can just go away.  Go buy yourself another helicopter and fly away.

I'm still going down with the Graham ship, so....

I'll say this.  Some of ya'll are being a little too tough on Graham.

I pulled this from the Rodgers Appreciation thread.  Much was said about the throw from Rodgers and the play design.  And...I LOVED the play design.

Take a closer look and see what Graham does.  The lower gif is the better one to watch him.  He's not split out too wide.  He's also not an in-line tight end.  He's more or less "flexed" out.  He blocks the end, then goes out on a route to draw some attention away from where the ball is going.  Love that scheme.  Mac would put his tackle on an island.  We flex a tight end and have him block for a second while the tackle looks inside.  Love it.  For a few moments, Graham occupies two defenders.  And does an admirable job on the end so the tackle can pick him up cleanly and win that set.

I just wanted to highlight that, because it showed that in some instances, Graham can block.  Unlike his other Hunter block that was truly not admirable.

And...if you follow Graham.  He is open for a very slight gain if the ball is thrown quickly.  Then when he turns his out to an out and up, he's even and that's not a bad place to throw a high back shoulder to him.  Safeties are occupied, Jimmy's down the field with a corner on him.  Just a guess, but we will see the play again.

I think that @Packerraymond is onto something.  You gotta give him some 1:1 matchups down the field every game and throw him those contested balls.Oh, and we do need more Tonyan.  No doubt about it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

One small favor :
Can we please put a moratorium on the Jimmy Graham whining/bashing/kvetching in the Game Day Thread ?
You've all stated your case eleventy million times in a dozen threads.

5bf4ace7a2429.image.jpg?resize=400,476

Me too, and Tonyan was one of the players identified as a breakout candidate by several posters here.
He spent his offseason training with 49er TE Kittle, bulking up and honing his craft.
Time to cut him loose on Sunday afternoon.

I do not believe I was one of the eleventy million, although I could be wrong.  Can't remember ever commenting on Graham before, so I claim exemption..  That being said, he sucks.  Make that a number two.

In reality maybe he needs to get healthy and take a break.  Since we gain nothing by cutting him now other than a roster spot just maybe the goal should be to keep Jimmy healthy and use him sparingly.  In key situations if the staff believes he can still do it in at least limited situations.  I have sincere doubts.

Come on Tonyan, this is your chance to shine!

Mike Klis is the beat reporter for the broncos, here's his write up on their offensive struggles

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/broncos-offense-starts-out-with-the-best-finishes-with-the-worst/73-98441d23-0487-439e-b14c-d2b1f94300d2

They are the few, the promising -- but in the end, the inefficient.

The Broncos have been a peculiar study in offensive contrast through two games.

Start with a mere 17 offensive possessions combined – the fewest in the league. This suggests both the Denver defense is not getting off the field quick enough and, more positively, the Broncos’ offense is sustaining possessions.

Indeed, in 14 of those 17 possessions, the Broncos’ offense has crossed the opponents’ 50. That’s pretty good. The Broncos rank an impressive fifth in the NFL in yards per drive with better than 42 yards a series.

If only they finish the movement. The Broncos are in the bottom five in scoring with just 15.0 points per game.