2019 WEEK 3 PACKERS vs broncos GAME DAY THREAD

Shanedorf

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because coaches and players grow aroused at the thought of playmakerz with the ball in their hands. Regardless of the fact that there's something like10x as many fumbles lost as there are KR TDs, and the expected return yardage is less if you take it out.

Unless Slocum or Zook are your opposing ST coaches. Then you are 10x more likely to score a TD vs fumbling and the expected return yardage is far greater if you take it out.

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Unless Slocum or Zook are your opposing ST coaches. Then you are 10x more likely to score a TD vs fumbling and the expected return yardage is far greater if you take it out.

I believe even that brain trust managed to come out ahead on both measures. Which really demonstrates how common sense it actually is.

But I believe if you look around the league, nobody's actually taking it out anymore.

Zach Kruse:  If Jimmy Graham can't play Sunday, I'll be excited to see Robert Tonyan in a significant role. It's possible the offense could operate more smoothly with 85. He's just a better fit.

(I cant see the team carrying 4 TEs on the active roster for any reason other than Graham not being able to go)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because coaches and players grow aroused at the thought of playmakerz with the ball in their hands. Regardless of the fact that there's something like10x as many fumbles lost as there are KR TDs, and the expected return yardage is less if you take it out.

Plus there is a really good chance that the return team will get called for a hold or a block in the back, pinning the offense inside their own 10 yard line. I think the Packers went through a brief phase a couple years ago when they were not returning kicks, with similarly good results, and then they started returning them again. 

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse:  If Jimmy Graham can't play Sunday, I'll be excited to see Robert Tonyan in a significant role. It's possible the offense could operate more smoothly with 85. He's just a better fit.

(I cant see the team carrying 4 TEs on the active roster for any reason other than Graham not being able to go)

I've been hoping for more Tonyan. I noticed that he had more snaps last week including the first play from scrimmage, but the ball was never thrown to him. They called up Evan Bayliss from the practice squad, which is interesting because he is considered to be a pretty good blocker but has also looked good receiving at times. And they gave him #88 instead of making him keep that awful 49. All numbers in the 40s suck except 42 and 44, but 88 is a rock solid TE number. 

In an ideal world, Tonyan would take over for Jimmy Graham as the season went on and Bayliss would take over for Mercedes Lewis. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

I've been hoping for more Tonyan. I noticed that he had more snaps last week including the first play from scrimmage, but the ball was never thrown to him. They called up Evan Bayliss from the practice squad, which is interesting because he is considered to be a pretty good blocker but has also looked good receiving at times. And they gave him #88 instead of making him keep that awful 49. All numbers in the 40s suck except 42 and 44, but 88 is a rock solid TE number. In an ideal world, Tonyan would take over for Jimmy Graham as the season went on and Bayliss would take over for Mercedes Lewis. 

At this stage Bayliss's presence is probably more cover for Graham not being able to go than anything else.

20 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Don't be shocked if our offense looks better without him. Here's the question: if Jimmy is out the next 2 weeks and the offense looks better/more consistent, what do you do with him moving forward? Turn him into a $12.5 million redzone-only player? 

Yes.  Get what we can out of him until the offseason when we can cut him for relatively cheap.  There is no reason to cut him now when we will still have to pay him.  Make him a TD monster.  He is still tall and can still jump.  Line him up wide and throw endzone jump balls to him.  Play 7th grade basketball with these CBs.  He should win most of those match-ups.

18 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yes.  Get what we can out of him until the offseason when we can cut him for relatively cheap.  There is no reason to cut him now when we will still have to pay him.  Make him a TD monster.  He is still tall and can still jump.  Line him up wide and throw endzone jump balls to him.  Play 7th grade basketball with these CBs.  He should win most of those match-ups.

K.  So in this scenario the offense looks better without Graham...for the next two weeks.  That's the premise.

I think that Graham is a vested veteran, so his contract is guaranteed.

Packerraymond has shown us all how his contract isn't crippling.  No harm in using him in different packages while keeping him healthy.  None at all.  If the offense truly looks better with Tonyan getting his snaps.

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

K.  So in this scenario the offense looks better without Graham...for the next two weeks.  That's the premise.

I think that Graham is a vested veteran, so his contract is guaranteed.

Packerraymond has shown us all how his contract isn't crippling.  No harm in using him in different packages while keeping him healthy.  None at all.  If the offense truly looks better with Tonyan getting his snaps.

Seems pretty obvious to me that keeping 4 TE and a FB, was the Packers looking ahead to next year, when Lewis and Graham will be gone.

Tonyan is on the light side as a blocker (237lb), Sternberger and Bayliss are 250lb guys. However, I don't think any of these three have shown much skill as a blocker, so I'm guessing next year it is Sternberger and Tonyan as the receiving threats,  and the no.3 TE is either Bayliss (if his blocking really improves) or a draft pick or vet pickup, with a Lewis-like role. I don't see Lewis himself as a blocking TE in 2020,  he will be 36 by then.

PS Although I expect very little from Sternberger this year, especially with him on IR, I do have high expectations next year, given how smoothly he moves for a big man.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive