2019 WEEK 3 PACKERS vs broncos GAME DAY THREAD

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Seems pretty obvious to me that keeping 4 TE and a FB, was the Packers looking ahead to next year, when Lewis and Graham will be gone.

Tonyan is on the light side as a blocker (237lb), Sternberger and Bayliss are 250lb guys. However, I don't think any of these three have shown much skill as a blocker, so I'm guessing next year it is Sternberger and Tonyan as the receiving threats,  and the no.3 TE is either Bayliss (if his blocking really improves) or a draft pick or vet pickup, with a Lewis-like role. I don't see Lewis himself as a blocking TE in 2020,  he will be 36 by then.

PS Although I expect very little from Sternberger this year, especially with him on IR, I do have high expectations next year, given how smoothly he moves for a big man.

Not going against anything in your post, except sizes for Tonyan and Sternberger.

From what we saw in camp, I'd flip flop those weights.  Tonyan looks larger and more developed now.  Sternberger, to me, does not have an NFL body yet.  He will greatly benefit from a year of NFL strength training.  I'd be amazed if Jace was actually 250 in camp.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not going against anything in your post, except sizes for Tonyan and Sternberger.

From what we saw in camp, I'd flip flop those weights.  Tonyan looks larger and more developed now.  Sternberger, to me, does not have an NFL body yet.  He will greatly benefit from a year of NFL strength training.  I'd be amazed if Jace was actually 250 in camp.

Very possible. I was going with the weights listed on Packers.com

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Let the Elgton era begin.

Lane hurt I saw posted earlier or not practicing. I re watched the game and Lane was not as bad as some others made him out to be ( not you Lodestar ). Had some nice blocks got out in front of the TD pass to Williams.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greg C. said:

. And they gave him #88 instead of making him keep that awful 49. All numbers in the 40s suck except 42 and 44, but 88 is a rock solid TE number. 

Dude, you're killing me.  #41 is the most aesthetically pleasing number between 1 and 99.  Spencer Havner- we need you!

Their offensive line is shaky to say the least. You've got Garrett Bolles who is struggling badly at LT. The starting RT is out injured. His back up is a G/T who is struggling too. They start two rookies in the interior of the line as well. We need to put Flacco on his butt, a lot. Because, ironically Flacco hasn't been sacked yet this year.

Edited by Golfman

It's been noted that not running out kicks is best.  

What is the data on punt returns?  My jaded perspective is that the Packers lose more yards to on punt-returns via penalty than they gain via returns.  If you told all your punt-return team to lie down so they can't commit any penalties., and let the return guy fair-catch the ball, would you be better off than having them try to block and set up returns?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, craig said:

It's been noted that not running out kicks is best.  

What is the data on punt returns?  My jaded perspective is that the Packers lose more yards to on punt-returns via penalty than they gain via returns.  If you told all your punt-return team to lie down so they can't commit any penalties., and let the return guy fair-catch the ball, would you be better off than having them try to block and set up returns?  

You could do even better. Just have 10 of them rush every time. The extra .1% punt blocks you’d get also would help tour per punt average field position. 

• Like 1