Jalen Ramsey requests trade from Jaguars

TitanLegend

27 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

the opinions about Ramsey's play vary and then you have to pay him immediately. I can understand why some would not sell the farm.

That's fine, but at that point keep him then.

He has this year, a 5th year option, and franchise tags as options.

Not to mention our owner said he'll pay up and this sure just sounds like a Coughlin issue. Shad can tell him to shut up/leave him alone or take a hike.

19 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That's fine, but at that point keep him then.

He has this year, a 5th year option, and franchise tags as options.

Not to mention our owner said he'll pay up and this sure just sounds like a Coughlin issue. Shad can tell him to shut up/leave him alone or take a hike.

Ahhh I trust Tom more to take me to the SB then Ramsey considering hes done it twice before. 

44 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Ahhh I trust Tom more to take me to the SB then Ramsey considering hes done it twice before. 

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

As a coach he did, not as a GM/VP.

Plus, it doesn’t appear Coughlin is cultivating good player relations with the guys in the locker room. Had that issue a bit in NY too. 

At least we know what we’re getting with Ramsey, for the most part. The front office has shown to be pretty sub-par, sans one outlier season. 

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

It's also pretty clear that top tier players get what they want in terms of deals or trades because keeping them on your roster being unhappy in their situation does not benefit the team.

It's literally Tom Coughlin. This isn't the coach, teammates, city, etc.

Makes a big difference, especially when our billionaire owner just said he loves him and wants to get him paid.

5 hours ago, pwny said:

I think a big part of it is the stuff that Coughlin eased up on was more related to coaching. Those are all things he's not involved in. Somebody else decides whether they have to push harder during practice, or whether they can play music in the locker rooms, or when they get a day off, etc. Now the players mostly only interact with him in stressful situations; contract issues and negotiations, disciplinary situations, when he speaks about them to the media, etc. and they still run on Coughlin time. Those are the areas where I don't think he ever had to relax on, and now that they're the only areas of his direct involvement, it's right back to feeling like he's the guy he was 13 years ago, even if he is technically where he was after that.

Another part of the problem is that before he came in, Dave Caldwell as GM was doing a completely terrible job of providing structure and adhering to a plan of how to build a team. So really when Coughlin came in, he was brought in to create a rigid structure to follow. And in doing so, he took it too far the other way. The proper place is somewhere between what Caldwell was doing and now where Coughlin is holding them to. But nobody there really seems to get that.

Yeah.  It's complicated, because Coughlin was brought in, largely to get some structure and discipline in the organization.  You have to remember, prior to Coughlin...we had players literally describing their time with the Jaguars organization as, "a paid vacation in Florida".  It was clear people weren't taking this organization seriously, and Caldwell seemed clueless and powerless to get things under control.  People were treating the organization like a complete joke...and rightfully so, considering the directionless flailing that was going on at the time.

But Coughlin has, in traditional Coughlin fashion...gone too far in the other direction.  It's just not an approach that works with today's players who are far more empowered than they were back in the day.  Especially not something that works in the role Coughlin has now as...well...something one vaguely defined level above GM?

You just can't be the rigid hardass disciplinarian in that sort of nebulous detached role.  It leads to a situation where that basically becomes your only interaction with some of these players.  ie.  The only time some of the players really interact directly with you, ends up being when you have to "punish" or "discipline" someone for something.  Like being sent to the principal's office...it's not usually for good things.  Doesn't take long for people to resent someone in that role, and it spreads through the locker room.  Even among the players who aren't running afoul of the Coughlin doctrine.  They only really hear one side of the story second-hand from their trusted teammates, that easily paint Coughlin as villain-esque.

So it's kinda equal parts "Coughlin being Coughlin"...but also exacerbated by the totally goofed up power structure the Khan has installed in the organization.  Where the actual GM has a supervisor that basically dictates how he does his job.  It's easy to see how to the players especially, it can quickly devolve into looking like they brought in a "bad guy", pretty much strictly to punish and discipline.  Which ends up looking super weasely and deceitful, as though they brought in a guy just so Caldwell can avoid being "the bad guy" when the tough stuff needs doing.  Because in a lot of respects...that is what Coughlin's role appears to be.

It's a messed up front office structure, and it has been from the start.  It got the team back on track briefly because that discipline and direction was badly needed, but it's easy to see how it derailed again so quickly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

the opinions about Ramsey's play vary and then you have to pay him immediately. I can understand why some would not sell the farm.

At the end of the day too, you really just have to take a long hard look at whether a DB is the guy you want to make that megadeal investment in.  Are contending teams really built around a Cornerback?  Or do you want to keep that money set aside to pay for pass rush up front?  Or robust OLine protection or offensive weapons?  Or obviously a Quarterback.

I think most people are on board with the idea that Jalen is at very least, a Top-3/5 sort of CB, with a lot arguing he's the very best.  But CB is one of those positions where i think schematically, you can do things to get by with just "good" players, rather than elite ones.  It's where, even without the consideration of giving up valuable draft assets to acquire Jalen...i'd be pretty on the fence when it comes to paying him what it seems like he's going to want.  Top paid CB?  Yeah, okay...fine.  If he wants to be one of the top paid defenders altogether though?  Do you invest that in a DB?  I don't think i do.

14 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Don't dampen my mood by seeing Ramsey to the Pats...

Nah, I don't think they are gonna trade him in the AFC, if they trade him at all. 

I really think he will be an eagle if they trade him. It makes so much sense 

• Like 1