2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

Beyond being BPA, why the interest in Delpit ? With having Simmons (he'll be franchised at worst IMO) and Jackson  playing at such a high level, would you spend that high of a draft pick on a player that would be a backup with so many more pressing needs on this team ??

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Add DL to that mid-R1 cluster. Even after Brown undoubtedly goes top 10, you have Javon Kinlaw and Marvin Wilson who I really like. Another thing to keep in mind: there's so little depth at DL in this draft. You can find WRs, CBs and OL on Day 2. Should be plenty. You're probably reaching for a DL if you can pick one in that range. 

With a DL, you are waiting a year for him to develop though, just like the TE position it seems like DLs take some time to cook.  Or, do you take some of that cap space and land the best FA at the position?  

With a DL, you are waiting a year for him to develop though, just like the TE position it seems like DLs take some time to cook.  Or, do you take some of that cap space and land the best FA at the position?  

I am always wary of taking non-blue chip DL's in R1. Unless they are cant miss, top 5-10 type talents it just seems that so often they develop into JAG or slightly-better-than JAG's. The value seems to be poor very often, the learning curve can take years and its infuriating how many former non-elite R1 DL's end up becoming worthy reclamation projects on a second team. I have not looked at metrics compared to other positions so this take could be off, but it just feels like I see it all the time. 

Also have a similar feeling w/ TE's, and while Fant hasnt been truly elite in regards to rookie TE's, he has absolutely been elite. He is putting up stats that just dont happen often for young TE's. Give him a QB and he produces. He will be a beast for years in the pass game, just needs to improve blocking. 

10 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I am always wary of taking non-blue chip DL's in R1. Unless they are cant miss, top 5-10 type talents it just seems that so often they develop into JAG or slightly-better-than JAG's. The value seems to be poor very often, the learning curve can take years and its infuriating how many former non-elite R1 DL's end up becoming worthy reclamation projects on a second team. I have not looked at metrics compared to other positions so this take could be off, but it just feels like I see it all the time. 

Also have a similar feeling w/ TE's, and while Fant hasnt been truly elite in regards to rookie TE's, he has absolutely been elite. He is putting up stats that just dont happen often for young TE's. Give him a QB and he produces. He will be a beast for years in the pass game, just needs to improve blocking. 

I remember Trevor Pryce getting labeled a bust in his 1-2 years.  Then in year 3, he busted out, and from on there he was arguably the best DL in the league.  BTW, why isn't he a ring of famer? 

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Beyond being BPA, why the interest in Delpit ? With having Simmons (he'll be franchised at worst IMO) and Jackson  playing at such a high level, would you spend that high of a draft pick on a player that would be a backup with so many more pressing needs on this team ??

If he's Malik Hooker or Derwin James-level great, then you find a way to make that work.   But ONLY if he's that great.

The same thinking you're giving is why Hooker & James fell to the mid-teens.   Pretty much every team in the 7-14 range both years really regrets it now. 

I haven't seen enough of Delpit to see if he's that good, but that's the thinking.   

P.S.  I could see us using Kareem Jackson as a 3rd safety / ILB hybrid if we got Delpit.   But it would have to be something like that.   Keep in mind something like 65 percent of plays nowadays use nickel formation or more DB's as the base.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Don't know if I agree with the premise there. Some first round DL taken outside the top 10 from 2011-2016: 

Sheldon Rankins, Kenny Clark, Aaron Donald (obviously should have gone higher), Sheldon Richardson, Star Lotulelei, Dontari Poe, Fletcher Cox, Michael Brockers, JJ Watt, Muhammad Wilkerson, Cameron Heyward 

Actually, the hit rate on iDL outside the top 10 is pretty high relative to most other positions in the back 2/3 of the first round. We didn't help that hit rate by picking Sly Williams. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

Yeah I think Duvernay is going to kill it in the slot at the next level and has the speed to lineup on the outside and be a nightmare downfield.

This WR class is just absolutely loaded, which is why I think Denver needs to hold off on a WR round 1.  Sutton is a legitimate #1 and Denver can hit on multiple #2 type wideouts in rounds 2 and 3.  

As far as Biadasz.  He doesn’t thrill me.  Sloppy looking and un athletic.  As far as interior OL goes give me Creed Humphrey over Biadasz all day.  Netane Muti out of Fresno St. is probably the best IOL in this draft, but is in a Trey Adams situation with his injuries (though not as serious) knocking him down the board. 

18 minutes ago, germ-x said:

As far as Biadasz.  He doesn’t thrill me.  Sloppy looking and un athletic.  As far as interior OL goes give me Creed Humphrey over Biadasz all day.  Netane Muti out of Fresno St. is probably the best IOL in this draft, but is in a Trey Adams situation with his injuries (though not as serious) knocking him down the board. 

I like Cushenberry (what a name) from LSU a lot. On the Draft Network simulator, I always end up picking him with our early 3rd. 

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I like Cushenberry (what a name) from LSU a lot. On the Draft Network simulator, I always end up picking him with our early 3rd. 

Cushenberry is solid too.  Overall though this IOL class isn’t great.  Probably has guys being over drafted by teams based on need.  Risner was a far better prospect than all of these guys, with a far better track record, capable of playing 3 positions in the NFL and he went 2nd round last year.  

If Denver wants to roll with Bolles/James at OT, I think the best route is addressing the interior in FA than taking one of these IOLs round 1.

8 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Rather just resign Parks for cheap. Not sure if he is going to have a major market and since it doesnt look like CHJ will be back next year there will be some more cap space than the normal. I love Jackson/Simmons/Parks as the 3 safetys 

Edited by AkronsWitness

13 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Jackson was brought in here to be a mentor ala Flacco imo. 

I think our team has enough holes where we really just let the board fall to us, and we can truly pick BPA. Positions we definitely won't take Rd 1 are basically QB, RB, TE, and maybe S? 

I remember some of the love for Munchak came from the fact that he was able to take non blue chip prospects and turn them into solid starters - so I think that helps me wait off on OL until 2nd/3rd/whenever for that obvious position of need. I think AAA nailed it when he referenced the 6 positions we need to target with our first couple of rounds. Hope the board is friendly, move up if we have to, and trust our evaluation of talent ('18 and '19 were good - let's hope they continue that trend).

PS - I am automatically on board with drafting any prospect with the last name Wilson, as that is my dogs name and will likely become one of my favorite players because of that. Although Mack Wilson coming off the board prior to our 2nd rounders last year worked pretty well...

3 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

I remember some of the love for Munchak came from the fact that he was able to take non blue chip prospects and turn them into solid starters -

It's not just Munchak and the OL. As far as position coaches/teachers, we've got the best group we've ever had for developing talent across the board. What they've done with the talent they had to work with is stunning. 

• Like 1