2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

28 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

On that note, D-Bag has been pushing one of the worst narratives I've ever heard: the Broncos should have taken Drew Lock at 10 because that shows "belief" in him, more important than also having a stud TE + a future 3rd. 

Seriously? Is he trying to destroy any credibility he may have?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

On that note, D-Bag has been pushing one of the worst narratives I've ever heard: the Broncos should have taken Drew Lock at 10 because that shows "belief" in him, more important than also having a stud TE + a future 3rd. 

I understand the side he is taking, but he is taking it to the extreme.

If you think a dude is a HoF QB, you take him at 1.1 no questions asked. We were able to get a guy who our front office obviously liked, but didn't think was a no doubt pick. That is what it is, and it is totally fine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

I understand the side he is taking, but he is taking it to the extreme.

If you think a dude is a HoF QB, you take him at 1.1 no questions asked. We were able to get a guy who our front office obviously liked, but didn't think was a no doubt pick. That is what it is, and it is totally fine.

Yeah, if you aren't sure about Lock, you don't take him Rd1.  If he falls far enough where the return is worth the risk, you take him.

To then criticize Elway for waiting this long, is beyond dumb.   Value based drafting is how teams build perennial contenders. SMH.

And let's be clear here - if Elway was THAT convinced - he wouldn't have put Lock on IR-return with a 4-6 week injury to start the year - and then waited until now to start playing him, let alone start his practice time from 2 weeks ago, when our season was over.   Or use that ridiculous "false positive/false negative" risk in letting Lock be activated, and start games this year.  

There's some massive revisionist history being applied if anyone says otherwise.  Elway's actions alone speak to the facts - they weren't sold, but they felt it was definitely worth the risk.  And he's no means a sure thing long-term - but at least he's shown we should give him all of 2020 to prove to us this hot start is real.  That alone is a W.   Nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

, and we've seen this before with Bolles.   

Actually, we never have. 

I went over a month without ever watching a snap, reading a box score etc. The 1st 4 games were just painful across the board. Missed assignments, looking lost, no cohesion............ and that wasn't just Bolles.

Last week I really started paying attention and the difference on both sides of the ball is remarkable. Missed assignments are rare, communication is far better, technique improvement is noticeable and once again, not just Bolles. I will say he's the poster child for it though.

The last two weeks I haven't seen him lose a one on one or miss an assignment. He and Risner are really working well as a pair. Watching James yesterday was a real treat also. There's a huge dropoff between he and Wilkinson. 

Now granted, I'm only watching about a third of the snaps, but the Bolles I'm watching now has no resemblance whatsoever to the Bolles I've watched the last 2+ years.

Looks to me like the kid is finally getting it.

• Like 2

As of now where Denver is picking WR will be in play as there might be a couple of them available that would arguably be BPA.  Lamb and Ruggs are two of my favorite prospects in this draft as well.  Still think going a different direction round 1 is a better option with how deep this WR class is.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, germ-x said:

As of now where Denver is picking WR will be in play as there might be a couple of them available that would arguably be BPA.  Lamb and Ruggs are two of my favorite prospects in this draft as well.  Still think going a different direction round 1 is a better option with how deep this WR class is.  

I think CeeDee has vaulted himself to my favorite WR in this draft. Such a phenomenal talent and I underestimated how explosive he is. Not just an above the rim, body control, possession type. 

After these two wins and probably at least one more coming, not sure we'll have a chance to get him anyway. You can probably get a WR like Reagor and Hamler in the 2nd after getting a trench guy in the 1st. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think CeeDee has vaulted himself to my favorite WR in this draft. Such a phenomenal talent and I underestimated how explosive he is. Not just an above the rim, body control, possession type. 

After these two wins and probably at least one more coming, not sure we'll have a chance to get him anyway. You can probably get a WR like Reagor and Hamler in the 2nd after getting a trench guy in the 1st. 

Yeah I don’t think Denver would have a shot at Lamb.  He’s phenomenal.  What I like most about him is he’s tough as hell on top of it and arguably the best blocking WR in the draft.  He does it all and brings it every snap.  Ruggs is a dog as well.

Jeudy’s soft.  Ridiculous talent as well, but there’s almost 0 physicality to his game.  His change of direction and instincts are insane with the ball in his hands, he’s going to be good, but the lack of physicality worries me a bit.  

I'm not gonna defend DMac's takes but everyone understands that he has to go on the air and fill radio time for 3 hours a day right? He's an entertainer, not an analyst 

Same thing when people get upset about Skip Bayless, Stephen A, etc. They are entertainers...not analysts 

• Like 3

On 12/9/2019 at 8:10 PM, germ-x said:

Yeah I don’t think Denver would have a shot at Lamb.  He’s phenomenal.  What I like most about him is he’s tough as hell on top of it and arguably the best blocking WR in the draft.  He does it all and brings it every snap.  Ruggs is a dog as well.

Jeudy’s soft.  Ridiculous talent as well, but there’s almost 0 physicality to his game.  His change of direction and instincts are insane with the ball in his hands, he’s going to be good, but the lack of physicality worries me a bit.  

So I haven't been around this board in forever but the emergence of Lock has me excited that maybe we can turn this thing around.  I understand its only 2 games but Locks at shown he has skills to make throws, read a defense, and Confidence.  Something I never saw in Lynch or Brock.

I'm a fan of CeeDee, he seems to always make plays.  You don't think he'll be there at 11-12ish?  I see him being in play but also if a top tier OT or Derrick Brown falls I think we gotta go that direction and pick up a speedster with our 2nd round pick.  I love Ruggs speed, but its too early to take him imo. 

On 12/9/2019 at 9:10 PM, germ-x said:

I agree about Jeudy. I think he'll be good, not great. Ruggs/Lamb are going to be a problem in this league if used right. I know there's a lot of WR value, but I truly believe these guys are an order of magnitude better than some comparable skill WRs. We don't need another Sutton type, we do need a dynamic player with the ball in his hands- that to me is Ruggs/Lamb.

I like the idea of double dipping at WR, but not taking one R1. The class is very deep. We need two WR, one dynamic guy and one 'sure thing' type. My favorite ying / yang in that regard is Devin Duvernay R3 (Elite YAC, great straight line deep threat, high potential) + Tyler Johnson R2 (Elite route runner, great hands, NFL ready)

Ideally, we trade down from 10-12 (Unless Isaiah Simmons is available, he has ticked into blue chip status to me) and snag a late R1 + R2. Then go:

R1 - Tyler Biadasz IOL - Wisconsin

R2 - CJ Henderson CB - Florida

R2 - Tyler Johnson WR - Minnesota

R3 - Trey Adams OT - Washington

R3 - Devin Duvernay WR - Texas

R3 - Troy Dye ILB - Oregon

Sign Danny Trevathan to be the teams defensive QB, resign Harris + Simmons + Wolfe if the price is right, target a stopgap WR if the kids cant get right on the field. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I like the idea of double dipping at WR, but not taking one R1. The class is very deep. We need two WR, one dynamic guy and one 'sure thing' type. My favorite ying / yang in that regard is Devin Duvernay R3 (Elite YAC, great straight line deep threat, high potential) + Tyler Johnson R2 (Elite route runner, great hands, NFL ready)

Ideally, we trade down from 10-12 (Unless Isaiah Simmons is available, he has ticked into blue chip status to me) and snag a late R1 + R2. Then go:

R1 - Tyler Biadasz IOL - Wisconsin

R2 - CJ Henderson CB - Florida

R2 - Tyler Johnson WR - Minnesota

R3 - Trey Adams OT - Washington

R3 - Devin Duvernay WR - Texas

R3 - Troy Dye ILB - Oregon

Sign Danny Trevathan to be the teams defensive QB, resign Harris + Simmons + Wolfe if the price is right, target a stopgap WR if the kids cant get right on the field. 

Totally agree with possibly taking 2 Wr's, and having one be a speed/home run type and another being just an all around type.  I watched Johnson a few times and he didn't WOW me, he just seemed above average to me. I'd like to add a speed type like DeVonte Smith, Hamler or maybe Tylan Wallace.  First round go BPA which I think will be Derrick Brown/Simmons/Lamb.  

The WR class is so deep I dont think it makes any sense to draft one round 1 unless Lamb is there somehow. He might actually slide down a bit just because teams may pass on WR because of its depth.

I would much rather spend a 4th/5th on a guy like KJ Hill than a 1st/2nd on a guy like Ruggs or Hamler. Value is going to be crazy at WR in the mid rounds.

Would much rather go heavy on OT/DT in the early rounds and save the skill guys for the mids/late.

Edited by AkronsWitness