Patriots release WR Antonio Brown

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

if social media is a path for ill behaviour, it could be said that brown is the standard for such.  What will he do next ? What bout if he ends up behind bars, how will he live without social media xD

He's not even part of that generation that have never been without social media in their adult lives. Isn't he 30 something? Grow up man. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He's not even part of that generation that have never been without social media in their adult lives. Isn't he 30 something? Grow up man. 

imagine ...say 10 years from now, there could be many players in pro sports that behave like this on social media? That will be nice won't it o.O

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I will just lock myself in a cabin and take up reading fiction full time xD

nothing wrong with that .  By then defences won't be allowed to do as much and the rules will also protect qb's even more. It will be unwatchable for the older generation(s) no doubt. Good that you are prepared for the future;)

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

No one is signing him until it’s completely over. Which probably won’t be this season. 

I’d say Ravens, 49ers, Titans could be interested parties. 

Re: TEN, I don't see it, unless AB is a better QB than he's shown so far.

And yeah, the NFL is going to take its own sweet time here, and likely drag the investigation so AB can't play this year....and probably even into 2020's games, enough that AB has zero chance to dominate the offseason news cycle.  A midseason 2020 ETA for league-sanctioned return would be the earliest ETA IMO...and by then, odds are AB adds enough additional sideshow antics that teams stay away.  He's a hot mess now, imagine what he will be like as the limelight dies down.  The dude cannot stay out of the limelight, so one can only shudder at the possibilities of what social media antics are coming soon.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, August4th said:

Why does their investigation supposedly "Prevent " him from playing? Wouldn't they have to conclude their investigation, have a Suspension ruling to then limit his play for the year?

If anything, isn't it the opposite? It allows him to play until the legal system or their investigation runs its course?

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why does their investigation supposedly "Prevent " him from playing? Wouldn't they have to conclude their investigation, have a Suspension ruling to then limit his play for the year?

If anything, isn't it the opposite? It allows him to play until the legal system or their investigation runs its course?

Teams won't sign him while he's under league investigation. The second someone did, he'd be suspended.

15 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:
3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Teams won't sign him while he's under league investigation. The second someone did, he'd be suspended.

How can they suspend him without completing and or making a ruling on their findings? Or are you suggesting they already know the results from that investigation but are making it known to the masses, We will suspend him If/When he is signed by a Club?

20 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Agreed.  But wouldn't that be collusion, given that Brown was due a bonus?  Not that anyone in Brown's camp would be able to prove it

I think so.  I'm not aware of the exact procedures to going on the commissioners exempt list.  Didn't something similar with Hunt happen last year where he was put on the CEL and got cut like 1 hour later?

Anyways, it really wouldn't shock me if something like this went down:

RG: "Hey Bill, yea its Rog.  Look these interviews look bad for Antonio.  Best case he's getting on the commissioners exempt list."

BB: "Rrrrrarrr I'm onto the Jets. Rrrrrrrr"

RG: "Look you guys to tore up pretty good.  Kraft's thing is on going.  You had a murderer on your team for three years.  We're giving you a chance to just cat him.  No one will sign him now."

BB: "I'm onto the Jets."

RG: "Ok.  It's been, something."

--------------------------------------------------

Later that day (Spongebob narrator voice):

BB: "Hi Antonio, it's Bill."

AB: "Whattup coach?  I promoted TB12 on insta rather than pay!"

BB: "Your cut.  No need to turn in your playbook.  Tom and I reprogrammed....I mean we changed the gameplan."

AB: "But coach, you were my last chance.  I burned my bridges in the Burgh and embarrassed the Raiders.  Who will take me now."

BB: "Rrrrrrarrrrrr, I'm onto the Jets."

AB: "The Jets you say?"

BB: "The Jets are not the team you're looking for."

AB: "Huh, the Jets are not the team I'm looking for."  "Coach about that $9mil.  I owe some people money."

BB: "Raaarrrrrrrr, I'm onto the Jets."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

How can they suspend him without completing and or making a ruling on their findings? Or are you suggesting they already know the results from that investigation but are making it known to the masses, We will suspend him If/When he is signed by a Club?

They can technically suspend him while he's a FA.  What they can't do while he's a FA is put him on the commissioners exempt list.  I think what most are going to assume is that he won't be signed quickly because he will land on the CEL the minute he's signed by someone.

I know some have questioned if that's technically collusion, and in a way I think it is.  But at the same time what can AB and his team really do about it?  If he signs with a team for a non-guaranteed contract at league minimum, and he goes on the CEL, and is on it all season, that team basically just wasted money.  So from teams standpoints, instead of wasting money and getting nothing from him (why would he sign a cheap 2 year deal right now?); why not just let this finish out before you sign him to a contract.  If his investigation goes on for 8 weeks, then he's suspended 6 weeks (based on precedent); why not talk him into a 2 year deal, so you get him to have the playbook for 6 weeks, in the building for week 17, and the entire offseason program before the 2020 season.

I think really his future in the NFL is squarely on the shoulders of the NFL right now.  How long does this go on and how long is his suspension?  Miss all of 2019, half of 2020, be a 32 year old WR who hasn't taken a snap in 14 months, with that off the field baggage?  I think I put it a few days ago best.  Antonio is hitting the "mercenary" part of his career.  Teams will still sign him for good money, but it's not going to be guaranteed, and he might not be with a team for more than 2 years at a time.  Teams that think they are literally right there but need that 1 guy will be quick in on him, and quick out on him if he acts up.