Patriots release WR Antonio Brown

RaidersAreOne

18 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The two things can co-exist. He could be "smart" enough to cause problems, get cut by Oakland and go to his team of choice, AND stupid enough to let all of his personal issues catch up with him and ruin that plan.

I mean, I've questioned from the start how "smart" it is to torch all public goodwill and a guaranteed $30mil to force your way to your team of choice. Even if all these other issues didn't bubble up, it still would have limited him to 1 year deals going forward, I think. In football, that is an insane move. You are always one unfortunate injury away from being done, and injuries happen all the time, often out of your control. Guaranteed money is the only money that really matters, and he made sure he limited his guarantees despite having a career that merited a golden parachute contract.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I will say the NFL's statement on Brown certainly read like "if you sign him, expect it to happen."

My $0.02 conspiracy theory on it: Goodell called the Pats, said Brown will be on the CEL, but to save face we'll give you until 5 to cut him.

Agreed.  But wouldn't that be collusion, given that Brown was due a bonus?  Not that anyone in Brown's camp would be able to prove it

I can actually explain this. When AB texted in the group chat he commited assault. Because his lawyer was in the chat when a crime was commited, he is now considered a witness and all attorney-client privelage is gone. This allows him to be subpoeanad about ALL evidence related to the case and if prosecutors choose to press charges they can.

Source:My dad is a supreme court lawyer

@jrry32 @The_Slamman ^^^^ Is that true?

It’s not “one or the other” I think he did both. I think he sabotaged his release from Oakland. No other reason to skip 85% of your scheduled practices, talk to a social media person about how to get axed, post your mandatory fines that anyone gets for missing practice on instagram, and a scuffle with Mayock. I still have no doubts he wanted off the Raiders all along. He just wanted it to be AFTER Week 1 so he could get guaranteed 30M. 

He didn’t tell New England about the rape allegation or other off the field issues. New England found out as we did. 

1) Rape allegation popped up

2) Report he owes 14 businesses and possibly majorly in debt

3) Sends intimidating texts about the victim (this was the last straw for Bill, enough is enough in just 11 days)

AB is an idiot, plain and simple. 

• Like 1