Patriots release WR Antonio Brown

RaidersAreOne

It sucks that one of the best football players I have ever seen isn't smart enough to stay out of his own way.

Obviously this release was warranted and hopefully no other team signs him unless he proves he's turned his life around (also depending on the end result with the allegations; why he thought texting her was a good idea, I have no clue).  But damn what a crazy end to what would have been seen as one of the greatest careers by a WR.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

@jrry32 @The_Slamman ^^^^ Is that true?

Idk if the dudes dad is a supreme court lawyer or not, but there are kernels.  From what I have seen in the text there is no assault, but, if the lady in question is on the plaintiffs witness list its 100% tampering which would definitely endanger privilege.  This conversation regardless is not privileged, and the attorney has been put in a compromised position bc he is obligated by ethics to report if he has knowledge that his client "intends" to commit a crime.  You can tell your lawyer after the fact if you did something, that's privileged, but you cant tell your lawyer you are GOING to do something.

• Like 2

No. As Superman said, there are some breadcrumbs of accurate information there. I haven't seen the texts, but if he said something incriminating there, it's not privileged. And it could conflict his lawyer out. However, it would not vitiate the attorney-client privilege for information exchanged prior to that. Everything Superman posted is correct.

6 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Idk if the dudes dad is a supreme court lawyer or not, but there are kernels.  From what I have seen in the text there is no assault, but, if the lady in question is on the plaintiffs witness list its 100% tampering which would definitely endanger privilege.  This conversation regardless is not privileged, and the attorney has been put in a compromised position bc he is obligated by ethics to report if he has knowledge that his client "intends" to commit a crime.  You can tell your lawyer after the fact if you did something, that's privileged, but you cant tell your lawyer you are GOING to do something.

I’m not a lawyer but am a LEO, not familiar with federal/other state laws either, but I don’t think the those texts constitute assault. Not even the federal definition, which is more broad than my state’s definition. 

They don’t look good for him from a PR perspective but you’d be hard pressed to prove them criminal IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Sorta.  What is true that any communication that you make to others while your attorney is present is not privileged.  For example, in my line of work it happens occasionally that a corporate defendant has an attorney.  An accident happens.  The corporate attorney meets with lower level employees and an outside vender who may have contributed to the accident.  Any conversation that takes place is NOT privileged as the outside vender has no attorney-client relationship.

However could the attorney notes from the meeting be subpoenaed or the attorney forced to testify regarding the meeting?  Not likely.  Work product privileges apply.  Under the hypothetical above... could the anyone else at the meeting be subpoenaed?  Yes! 

Quick Edit...

there is is nothing about the text message that appears illegal.  The text messages are not an assault.  It probably was very stupid.  And for the life of me, the only reason I can think of why the attorney would condone the text messages is under the hope that the alleged victim responds with a stupid comment that could be used against her.  

An example of a situation where that tactic worked was Roger Clemens recording his conversation with his personal trainer.  Roger accused the trainer of lying.  The trainer’s response was something to the effect... “what do you want me to do?”  That response probably saved Roger.  Still a bad idea IMO.  It makes AB look really bad.

Edited by The_Slamman

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I was proudly one of those people. Everything comes out in the wash. If he had forced his way out and had all his ducks in a row it would of been smart. 

T.O forced his way off teams, Randy Moss took a career hiatus in Oakland. If you do that you better make sure you're squeaky clean off the field/ in the community and be prepared to be all in to salvage your legacy the rest of your career.

AB and his moves this offseason could of gotten him refocused like the former two to an extent.  I just doubt he was focused to begin with.

22 hours ago, titanrick said:

Does anyone know how agent pay works?  When AB loses his guaranteed money, which Drew Rosenhaus was supposed to get a nice percentage of, does Drew lose out too?  I imagine that's how it works but I'm not sure.  If so, I'd love to hear a closed door meeting between the two as Drew realizes how many hours he's spent defending AB only to have his stupidity wipe out Drew's cut of $30M and then $9M.

Agents get 3% max. It's set by the league. Agents have to be approved by the league, and they have to be lawyers. But agents get whatever percentage they negotiate with the client for any endorsements.