Marcus Mariota FACTS

Oregon Ducks

30 minutes ago, Riftty said:

I feel like he is falling into the Bradford curse. Had the potential to be good, but has been on some really bad teams and the lack of stability in coaching has lead to poor development.

I don't think it's over for the guy but it's not looking good.

Smith came out of it. Maybe Mariota will too. He won't ever be the guy, but he could still turn into a decent starter

Come on OD - you start a Marcus Mariota FACTS thread title and you don't expect heat?

The reality is that the Mariota in his first 2+ years isn't the same Mariota we see now.    He sees shadows.  He's eyes down with pressure.  In the pocket, he's so uncomfortable it's painful to watch.

I say the above with nothing invested - I don't own him in fantasy, I obv. don't root for/against TEN or the AFCS in general.   I hope TEN wins vs. us in 3 weeks time so our 2020 draft position is way better.    So take it all when I say I hope Tannehill is the QB when TEN faces DEN - it improves our chances of losing.

• Like 2

I'm in the "change of scenery" side.

I don't know if it's just a random thing, but the few games I've seen from him in the last couple years he's actually played well. Seems to be more a problem of consistency than actual lack of talent.

He need to go somewhere where there's a QB guy that is willing to spend time polishing his game. Don't think he's had many stability throughout his career, and that is actually an important factor.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Smith came out of it. Maybe Mariota will too. He won't ever be the guy, but he could still turn into a decent starter

Alex Smith is a great comparison.

I think people get too wrapped up in Mariota's draft position, and expect him to have some kind of upside of being a dynamic player. With a few years of tape, it's pretty obvious he lacks the instinct and talent to be that guy.

But by all accounts he's a great kid. He can deliver the ball accurately if he knows where he's going with it. And he's done reasonably well to avoid turnovers in his career. That's a sound foundation. Improve his pocket presence and decisiveness getting the ball out, and I think he could have a career like Smith.

Here's the fun question. Who outlasts the other as a starting QB, Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kramxel said:

I'm in the "change of scenery" side.

I don't know if it's just a random thing, but the few games I've seen from him in the last couple years he's actually played well. Seems to be more a problem of consistency than actual lack of talent.

He need to go somewhere where there's a QB guy that is willing to spend time polishing his game. Don't think he's had many stability throughout his career, and that is actually an important factor.

I can agree with this. You know, Steve Young was a disaster with the Buccaneers, and the Bucs shipped Young off to San Francisco, where he played caddie to Joe Montana for a few years before carving out his own HoF career. 

I think teams like the Saints (pending Drew Brees sticking around for a year) or the Chargers would be a nice destination for Mariota. I'd hate to think of it, but Mariota playing second fiddle to Tom Brady? That would probably work out well enough to where the Patriots would continue their dominion over the rest of us.

Only Daniel Jones could save us, then.

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I can agree with this. You know, Steve Young was a disaster with the Buccaneers, and the Bucs shipped Young off to San Francisco, where he played caddie to Joe Montana for a few years before carving out his own HoF career. 

I think teams like the Saints (pending Drew Brees sticking around for a year) or the Chargers would be a nice destination for Mariota. I'd hate to think of it, but Mariota playing second fiddle to Tom Brady? That would probably work out well enough to where the Patriots would continue their dominion over the rest of us.

Only Daniel Jones could save us, then.

Pretty sure its Haskins or Dak next on the docket 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

most of whom are garbage and haven't used his skill set at all
despite not having a OC that utilizes his legs at all.

Ah, don't ever change NFL General. The headline reads facts, and then the bolded would be...what exactly? Measurable/proven?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

one of the better things about moving on from mariota will be jettisoning the horde of oregon fans who glommed onto the titans and will never admit in a million years that the guy is maybe just not that good

I understand it though. I grew up with Connor Halliday, played baseball with him from the time I was like 7 all the way through high school. Played football with him in High School, too. When he was the starting QB at WSU I was a huge Halliday fan. When he made it to the NFL for the Redskins I followed everything about it and started following the Redskins. I understand the hype that Oregon fans feel with Mariota - dude was a GOD at Oregon (still is) and those fans want him to succeed in the NFL because they feel like he represents them. I felt the same thing with Halliday. He was representing my home town, my high school, all of us kids who grew up with him and watched him go from baseball phenom to football god.

So, when he hasn't succeeded, they are doing everything possible to believe it's everyone else's fault that he's not succeeding. Fact is, when you watch the guy play, it's all on tape just how bad he looks. He's running into sacks. He's staring down targets. His footwork is abysmal. His accuracy is terrible. He's just not a good QB in any facet right now. I do believe a change of scenery could do him some real good, because whatever is happening in Tennessee right now just isn't working for anyone.