Is Aaron Rodgers still good as a pre-snap QB?

AlexGreen#20

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Literally has nothing to do with what I said.  No offense.  I’m saying his age, injuries, and ability to process reads and make quality throws has diminished.  So just accept that, and design a system that doesn’t require you to stand in a pocket for four seconds, get happy feet in 1.5 seconds, and then miss all of the open receivers.  Create a scheme that fits an aging Rodgers, not a 25 year old Rodgers.

He then needs to accept said scheme.  Throw on time.  As noted, he is late on some out breaking routes and that would aid to him not having to stand in the pocket for 4 seconds.  

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

ymlV1l7.png

Somebody needs to explain to MVS at the top of this shot that the reason he's not going to see this ball thrown is that his QB isn't willing to stand tall in the pocket and deliver a throw. Your offense is always going to be limited if your QB plays scared. 

You have made some good points. Not many of us want to see how many flaws AR has grown over the last few years. He doesn’t want to get hit and get hurt I would think and it shows. His technique is not good. 
Plus he has his own other issues run through his head. Again you do make good points.
There have been some glimmers of early career AR in the last 3 weeks.

Let’s hope that MLF, Hack and CO are as astute at play dissections as you are. I have said it in other threads if AR is willing to look at himself openly with MLF he can get some of this fixed. This can’t be easy for AR and or MLF. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're 5th of 8 in points per drive against teams with a new HC/Offense.

We're worse than the Broncos who have played Raiders/Bears/Packers. We're worse than the Cardinals who have played Lions/Ravens/Cardinals

We have a way more talented offense than any of these teams that we're comparing them too. 

Yea man, like i said. Take a breather. 

We are 3-0. There are unique circumstances behind every play and every game...for instance, we adjusted our offense week one after halftime..bringing in more heavy alignments and playing a "field possession" style of game. It worked. We got enough first downs, and played well enough on D & ST's to win the game.

-3 wins, 0 losses

-Tough defenses

-NEW offense

-lots of mental mistakes so far

Take a breather. Quit over-analyzing every detail just to let your negativity win out. Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

He then needs to accept said scheme.  Throw on time.  As noted, he is late on some out breaking routes and that would aid to him not having to stand in the pocket for 4 seconds.  

He’s late because he looks like he literally can’t see what’s unfolding out there.  That or he panics and starts looking all over the field, back and forth, like a mom who just lost her child.  It’s bizarre behavior for sure, but it doesn’t appear as though he’s very confident standing back there anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

BS. I just watched that play and it just isn’t possible. If he could have heaved that thing up there you would have ripped him for throwing off platform. He was moving into a rusher and had to adjust and adjusted into another rusher. 

Furthermore, the still makes it looks like MVS is about to be wide open and he wasn’t, the DB was step for step with him. 

Liar say what?

XkC9fMC.png

I don't know man. He looks pretty set and ready to throw to me in that original screen shot. I don't know why he would have to throw off platform???

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I can't really judge the Tonyan potential TD. I'd like to assume it's a TD, but I've seen enough of Rodgers throwing deep over the last few years that I know that throw is far from a sure thing.

I'm aware that I'm picking out bad plays here, but it's not like these are new developments. We've run into stacked sides several times now. The 4th down we lost in particular was awful, assuming you don't believe that he simply missed the first down marker. He's late on every out breaking route. He won't stand tall and deliver throws. This isn't a handful of bad plays in a game, this has been going on for two years now.

As far as the slow starter thing, I've also seen him fail to kick it into gear more recently than I've seen him throw himself into form. 

Yes there is truth to this. You are getting piled on pretty good AG but you have made some good points. I am sure MLF is working with him on these things. Likely why we are trying to get a run game going. 

Just now, Sasquatch said:

He’s late because he looks like he literally can’t see what’s unfolding out there.  That or he panics and starts looking all over the field, back and forth, like a mom who just lost her child.  It’s bizarre behavior for sure, but it doesn’t appear as though he’s very confident standing back there anymore.

I'm actually seeing the opposite. He literally looks at one guy the entire play.

I'll put it out there again. If we've got 3 plays in this game where he moved off his first read outside of being pressured, I would be shocked. He stares Adams down

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

And my main gripe hasn't even been touched upon yet. The whereabouts of this cutting edge new offense that was supposed to come here. I'm not seeing any McVay influenced stuff.

This.  If Rodgers is getting antsy due to past injuries and poor offensive game planning then change the offense to what works for him.  Totally agree that I haven't seen to much of the cutting edge offense that was supposed to lift the team to glory.

33 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

our overall offensive DVOA is 20th despite our passing DVOA being 14th and our rushing DVOA being 16th. Something's funky. 

Pre-snap penalties don't factor in rush or pass, we may have disturbingly more of those than average. Also, it's not linear either. A team ranked 1 better in pass and 5 worse in rush may be ranked 4 better overall.

Plus, DVOA doesn't account for level of comp yet either. Just against the league average. 

It is true that GB has had a below average offense so far in 2019. It has also been against 2/3 really good defenses and 1 average one. Don't be surprised to see GB top 12-14 after this next week.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm actually seeing the opposite. He literally looks at one guy the entire play.

I'll put it out there again. If we've got 3 plays in this game where he moved off his first read outside of being pressured, I would be shocked. He stares Adams down

At times yes, but if that’s not there, you can literally see him start to panic, and honestly, I can’t blame him after all the trauma he’s been through.  It’s moronic to ask Rodgers to play like he’s 27, and it’s moronic that Rodgers thinks he still see’s reads, or the field in general, as good as he used to.

3 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

Yea man, like i said. Take a breather. 

We are 3-0. There are unique circumstances behind every play and every game...for instance, we adjusted our offense week one after halftime..bringing in more heavy alignments and playing a "field possession" style of game. It worked. We got enough first downs, and played well enough on D & ST's to win the game.

-3 wins, 0 losses

-Tough defenses

-NEW offense

-lots of mental mistakes so far

Take a breather. Quit over-analyzing every detail just to let your negativity win out. Enjoy the ride.

If we adjusted our offense to kill clock and score fewer points at halftime in a 10-3 game, we have massive problems in our coaching staff. 

We had drives of 4, 3, 7, 10, and 3 plays that went for a total of 109 yards. We were bad at controlling the clock. 

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The injuries have skewed my sense of time, but I don't think we are too far removed from Rodgers looking off safeties etc etc. New offense, recent injuries, I guess I wanna see how he progresses this year assuming he stays healthy.  LIS, the past 4 years would have anyone a bit skiddish. Or I'm a homer.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is this due to wr's not being open, not knowing where to go, thinking the scheme sucks or is Rodgers not trusting anybody but Adams?