Packers & Eagles Postgame

Leader

40 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Goodson? Would summers be any worse?

Goodson is at least experienced. I would have liked to have seen him a bit more in the third quarter to see how things shook out. I was surprised we kept going that way. Pettine is clearly protecting his young DB's to a degree.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Funny thing is, I was saying to myself, win or lose the offense looks dangerous again, so that's major progress. Of course, as the game unfolded further, I wanted that win

Yeah if we couldve gotten the win with the STs ****ting the bed that wouldve felt nice.

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Spot on.

Seems like the plan all along when he was drafted was for Jones to play that hybrid/ILB role where we have no one now that Greene is down.

Sucks when you spend 2nd round draft capital and it flames out so quickly (and it is not like the rest of the NFL is clamoring to add Josh to their roster).

I guess Burks is the next great hope there, we shall see.

Jones did it for selfish reasons, but as I've said before, that's a tough gig for a DB. Just ask Greene.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Jones did it for selfish reasons, but as I've said before, that's a tough gig for a DB. Just ask Greene.

You may be 100% correct about that being a tough gig for any DB, which begs the question of whether the decision to select Jones to fill that position in the first place was just another example of trying to force a square peg into a round hole on the defensive side of the ball.

Not sure if already stated but this was interesting stat I came across. Packers Passing percentage on 1st down : 1st qtr = 56%, 2nd qtr = 53%, 3rd qtr = 39%, 4th qtr = 24%. The Packers are getting further behind the down/distance after 1st down as the game goes on, because they are (mistakenly) running more on 1st down as the game goes on. That's why we have only scored 6 points in the 4th quarter in all games this season. Interesting.

14 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

You may be 100% correct about that being a tough gig for any DB, which begs the question of whether the decision to select Jones to fill that position in the first place was just another example of trying to force a square peg into a round hole on the defensive side of the ball.

I guess I should have been clear. It's a tough gig physically for any DB to play in the box among the big boys. I can't even imagine the beating they take. Even just avoiding falling and rolling bodies. Jones was better equipped than most, but even he would take a beating. My wild guess is he wanted to play the HHCD style of safety. Much safer and more glamorous

Edited by cannondale

I'll just start by saying the NFL is officially a joke! Why institute a rule if you have no intention of getting the calls right regarding pass interference. As a fan, it leads me to believe you take our viewership for granted. The reality is you shouldn't because I think there are a lot of fans who are to a point where they think they can find better things to do with 3-4 ours on a Monday or Thursday evening. Not to mention the waste of a Sunday afternoon watching the blatant incompetence of your officials and replay officials who get to watch in slow-motion from a variety of angles. I count myself among those people. What is worse, like the Fail Mary, you come out and defend the indefensible. Your trying to protect the NFL shield, but in fact you continue to tarnish it every time. END RANT! 

As for the game, all is not lost, even if we lost a few players for a while. Most on this site would have done cartwheels if we could have taken a 3-1 start with the 4 games we had to play. So mission accomplished. The bad news is Davante Adams looks like he's probably out a few weeks. The good news is Davante Adams is out a few weeks and that is going to force Rodgers to trust people who he is not comfortable trusting. Long-term this is a net gain for the Packers. 

As frustrated as I was with the defense last night, Z. Smith and Clark were on the injury report all week and less than 100%. Adams was out and we were exposed. Blake Martinez played terrible but in fairness he's trying to cover the gaps of two ILBs each down. We ran into a very physical offensive line when we were going light in the box and they also employed two TE's who actually know how to block. The result was expected or should have been. I understand Pettine's philosophy, but sometimes you have to adapt to what the opponent is doing to you. Hoody did this to the AFC competition last year in the playoffs as well. Just beat them down with the run game. 

LaFleur frustrated me to no end as a play caller last night. We had a depleted secondary we were torching and he insisted on putting us in second, third and long by forcing a running game that was going nowhere, to backwards. Stupid and there is no other way to put it. Not to mention running a deep route and having Mercedes Lewis try and block Barrnett while coming in motion. Brilliant, just brilliant. That play plus two special teams blunders did us in. 

In the end Rodgers put is in a position to tie, possibly win the game and the officials swallowed their whistles again on a clear interference on MVS. No review even though it was under 2 minutes and a turnover. NFL is going to be not for long in my house if they don't clean this crap show they call officiating and review. 

All is not lost Packer fans. There is hope and light at the end of the tunnel. 

Edited by Golfman
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Josh Jones is literally the epitome of what people have been clamoring for how long now?  First it was Deone Buchannon, then Deion Jones, etc.  Everyone wants this super speedy LB who can cover in space, and think they're players who grow on trees.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

It doesn't matter how bad it "looked" they both were still hindered from making the catch due to the defender altering their body and not playing the ball. Just because one guy had his arm pushed and the other had one around his back doesn't matter. 

Right - PI should be PI no matter how it "looked".  Both instances were DPIand should have been called.  The play on the INT that ended the game should have been defensive holding.  The league implemented these reviews to get the calls right and they still can't.

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

Right - PI should be PI no matter how it "looked".  Both instances were DPIand should have been called.  The play on the INT that ended the game should have been defensive holding.  The league implemented these reviews to get the calls right and they still can't.

While I certainly agree with you, the NFL is never going to want the game to be decided by a penalty.

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

K, so we all agree then that your dudes got away with at least one more DPI than the Packers in a game changing situation?  

Look, I’m not blaming the calls as the reason the Packers lost this game - they shot themselves in the foot plenty last night.  It would appear, however, that your dude’s have have taken on the POS persona of your defensive coordinator - play dirty until you get flagged, fined, or ejected.  Whatever the cost.  Amiright?

Philly's present DC's turned a blind eye to this kind of garbage when he was in Detroit.

Just now, CWood21 said:

While I certainly agree with you, the NFL is never going to want the game to be decided by a penalty.

Having it decided by not calling a clear penalty which resulted in altering the result must be better in their eyes. Really? It gave them the ball instead of us having another chance to punch it in. Not calling the penalty was more of a deciding factor than calling it and moving us 1 yard closer. 

It's a joke! 

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

Clark is considered in NFL circles a star in the making at nose.  He just had a bad game last night.  

Don't get me wrong I love Kenny but he's not a big NT  he's an athletic NT that can put pressure on QBs and get sacks but he can be pushed around in the run game.  He's no Raji,  BJ was big and stout against the run plus he could collapse  the pocket better than Clark and eat up blockers. That's why I wanted Goldman in 2015, he's a big pure space eater. Clark would've been the pass rusher and Goldman would be the run stopping NT.  We need a big lane clogging beefy DT that can eat up blockers but there's no one on this roster that fits the bill. 

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He really didn't. This isn't Clark's fault. We line up every snap outnumbered and have a JAG and a JAG+ playing next to him.

This is the classic, Blame LeBron for losing to the Warriors

Are you saying Clark isn't thought of highly in NFL circles?