Packers & Eagles Postgame

Leader

- Special Teams

- Run Defense

- Run Blocking

We should never try to get cute on special teams. Boot it out of the end zone every possession and never worry about it. Not sure how we fix the atrocity they called run D last night but something has to be done. I trust they will work on it. We need to give up the pitch nonsense. The only time Jones ever had a chance is when went up the gut.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

Josh Jones is literally the epitome of what people have been clamoring for how long now? 

Who are all these people you contend are clamoring for Josh Jones?

Certainly not any people associated with the National Football League or surely Josh would be on one of the 32 NFL rosters.

3 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Certainly not any people associated with the National Football League or surely Josh would be on one of the 32 NFL rosters.

I think you misunderstood his point. He's the prototype height/weight/speed combination folks have wanted at the inside linebacker position. The problem is he didn't want to play that position. I think Oren Burks also fits those measurables. I hope he can figure it out because we could use him in a bad way. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I think you misunderstood his point. He's the prototype height/weight/speed combination folks have wanted at the inside linebacker position. The problem is he didn't want to play that position. I think Oren Burks also fits those measurables. I hope he can figure it out because we could use him in a bad way. 

No I understood his point Golf.

He was trying to contend Josh Jones the individual was specifically worthy of his 2nd round selection by the Packers (rather than a prototype with measurables like Jones to play the ILB/safety hybrid position being worthy of such a selection). 

Given that Jones made his displeasure over having to play the inside linebacker/safety hybrid position known to all, the Packers trying to push him to play that position makes about as much sense as forcing Randall to play CB.

39 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I'm talking about the mold.  Everyone wants this uber-athletic LB/S hybrid.  We take one, and he refuses to buy into the system.

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

No I understood his point Golf.

He was trying to contend Josh Jones the individual was specifically worthy of his 2nd round selection by the Packers (rather than a prototype with measurables like Jones to play the ILB/safety hybrid position being worthy of such a selection). 

Given that Jones made his displeasure over having to play the inside linebacker/safety hybrid position known to all, the Packers trying to push him to play that position makes about as much sense as forcing Randall to play CB.

Two questions and I'm not sure we know the answers. 

1. Did they know that was the position they were wanting him to play when they drafted him? my guess is no because Burnett wasn't extended and I think they thought he would step in. 

2. If they intended this when they drafted him was this part of a pre-draft discussion with him/agent? Just wondering when this all blew up because it cleary didn't work out for the Packers and Jones is out of football at this point. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Josh Jones is literally the epitome of what people have been clamoring for how long now?  First it was Deone Buchannon, then Deion Jones, etc.  Everyone wants this super speedy LB who can cover in space, and think they're players who grow on trees.

No one wants josh jones.  He's not good

Just now, skibrett15 said:

No one wants josh jones.  He's not good

What was Deone Bucannon coming out of Washington State?  He is exactly what people were foaming out of the mouth for.  They wanted an oversized safety to play that hybrid LB/S.  He flopped, but acting like that wasn't the type of player that people were foaming at the mouth for is literally sticking your head in the sand.

• Like 3

Just now, CWood21 said:

What was Deone Bucannon coming out of Washington State?  He is exactly what people were foaming out of the mouth for.  They wanted an oversized safety to play that hybrid LB/S.  He flopped, but acting like that wasn't the type of player that people were foaming at the mouth for is literally sticking your head in the sand.

There are actually a lot of those guys in the league now, but they come out as college linebackers as they are employing smallish, athletic, inside linebackers as well. 

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

we have one.  Oren Burks.  We have 2, Raven Greene.  

I don't see how this is really a roster construction issue.  Players are hurt.

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Two questions and I'm not sure we know the answers. 

1. Did they know that was the position they were wanting him to play when they drafted him? my guess is no because Burnett wasn't extended and I think they thought he would step in. 

2. If they intended this when they drafted him was this part of a pre-draft discussion with him/agent? Just wondering when this all blew up because it cleary didn't work out for the Packers and Jones is out of football at this point. 

I think he was the Burnett replacement.  But, if you recall, Burnett was playing the "LB" snaps when we would go to a 3 safety package.  Jones is listed as 6'2 220 on nfl.com.  For comparison, Oren Burks is listed at 6'3 233, Deion Jones 6'1 222, Burnett is 6'1 210.  Jones had the athletic ability to play like Burnett, he just didn't.  We all like the idea of Josh Jones, we just don't like Josh Jones.  

There has to be another reason that Jones isn't playing somewhere.  Taylor Mays lasted 5 seasons, and had fewer tackles than Jones did in 2.    

• Like 1