Packers & Eagles Postgame

Leader

34 minutes ago, St Vince said:

This has been a brutal day for me getting trolled by my bears friends via text. One sent me a text of the Denny Green they were who we thought we were gif referring to our defense. Now my friends are saying our defense is a fluke. Gonna have to block or just shut my phone off for a few days after next Sunday.

Yea, but we beat them...and they basically lost to the Broncos besides the fact for a terrible roughing the passer call. It should be pretty easy to shut them down. 

• Like 1

There are always plenty of people to point one's finger at after a loss, but one that bears mentioning is that I thought we were outcoached in this game. It felt like Doug Pederson and his staff beat up LaFleur and Pettine and stole their lunch money. This should not be too big of a surprise because Pederson is a really good coach who has a lot of clever ideas, while we have a young rookie head coach. I don't understand the Pettine thing, though. He is a veteran coach. Halfway through the third quarter, I was ready for the Packers to sell out to stop the run and take their chances with their DBs playing man coverage, but they never did that. Maybe they just don't have the personnel to stop the run, or maybe some players had off nights. But I thought something needed to change schematically. Let's hope our coaches learned something from this loss. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greg C. said:

There are always plenty of people to point one's finger at after a loss, but one that bears mentioning is that I thought we were outcoached in this game. It felt like Doug Pederson and his staff beat up LaFleur and Pettine and stole their lunch money. This should not be too big of a surprise because Pederson is a really good coach who has a lot of clever ideas, while we have a young rookie head coach. I don't understand the Pettine thing, though. He is a veteran coach. Halfway through the third quarter, I was ready for the Packers to sell out to stop the run and take their chances with their DBs playing man coverage, but they never did that. Maybe they just don't have the personnel to stop the run, or maybe some players had off nights. But I thought something needed to change schematically. Let's hope our coaches learned something from this loss. 

This is why I wanted to go DL early in this last draft. Kenny can't do it all and needs another premium body next to him. That's not to say our other players are complete JAG's, but those players are more pass-rush and run stuff. We need that Ryan Pickett type player that can collapse the pocket, but mainly serves as a run-stuffer.

The other issue we had was Carson scrambling and on that red zone scramble, Tyler Lancaster was the only one who sniffed it out. This is why we need to make an investment at ILB. If we have another ILB that's remotely as good as Blake usually is, these kind of scramble plays don't become devastating.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

This is why I wanted to go DL early in this last draft. Kenny can't do it all and needs another premium body next to him. That's not to say our other players are complete JAG's, but those players are more pass-rush and run stuff. We need that Ryan Pickett type player that can collapse the pocket, but mainly serves as a run-stuffer.

The other issue we had was Carson scrambling and on that red zone scramble, Tyler Lancaster was the only one who sniffed it out. This is why we need to make an investment at ILB. If we have another ILB that's remotely as good as Blake usually is, these kind of scramble plays don't become devastating.

Yea, I was pretty intrigued by Jerry Tillery last year, especially since DL can take a year to develop so even if we go with one early this year, they might not contribute early. Not having Adams didn't help but it also seemed like we waited way too long to rotate Keke in there or even Brown. Lowry and Lancaster were getting beat pretty bad, why not rotate Keke in there earlier to at least give those guys a break; he couldn't of been much worse. Also, wouldn't mind seeing Looney find his way on the roster if we continue to struggle against the run. 

I don't want to spend a super high pick on an ILB with the other needs we will most likely have but really would like to see us bring in a Zach Brown or Jaime Collins type veteran to compliment Martinez if Burks doesn't become that guy. Those guys can be had for pretty affordable deals and it seems like they are available every off-season, it would be nice to have a veteran with a few good years left in the tank. 

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I wanted a 5 tech because Daniels was in his last year. We signed Edge in FA. 

Didn't seem to be a decent 5 tech pick at #12

I think the reality was there were a lot of holes on the roster that needed to be filled.  Hard to do that in 1 offseason.  Gute did a great job (as of now it appears) with adding Z Smith, P Smith, Amos, Savage, Jenkins.  Rotation piece with Gary and hopefully will develop into a player.  

I was in the camp that thought that a DL add was needed.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

I wanted a 5 tech because Daniels was in his last year. We signed Edge in FA. 

Didn't seem to be a decent 5 tech pick at #12

I was fine with going Edge but Jerry Tillery was the guy I was hoping we would select; he did end up going 28th though. I have a love/hate relationship with PFF but i did start to warm up to the Chris Jones comps for him. Living in KC, I get to watch Jones every weekend and putting a guy like that next to Clark would be pretty awesome. He wouldn't fix our run defense wows but can definitely beat his man quickly and disrupt the pocket. 

I am interested in Kekes development though. He showed a lot of good things in preseason and hopefully will get more playing time as the season goes on to see what we have there. 

Edited by Victor1124

1 hour ago, Victor1124 said:

I was fine with going Edge but Jerry Tillery was the guy I was hoping we would select; he did end up going 28th though. I have a love/hate relationship with PFF but i did start to warm up to the Chris Jones comps for him. Living in KC, I get to watch Jones every weekend and putting a guy like that next to Clark would be pretty awesome. He wouldn't fix our run defense wows but can definitely beat his man quickly and disrupt the pocket. 

I am interested in Kekes development though. He showed a lot of good things in preseason and hopefully will get more playing time as the season goes on to see what we have there. 

Yeah, getting the best (feel free to submit arguments for Watt and Donald) 3T in the league would have been pretty awesome

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yeah, getting the best (feel free to submit arguments for Watt and Donald) 3T in the league would have been pretty awesome

Yeah, Tillery could bust for all I know but I’d be happy getting a player even 75% of what a guy like Chris Jones is. 

Edited by Victor1124