BDL 2019 Week 5 - Hungary Hippos @ Seoul Dragons

SirA1

Hungary Hippos @ Seoul Dragons  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Hungary Hippos
    • Seoul Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/10/2019 at 04:01 AM

BDL 2019 Week 5

Match:  Hungary Hippos @ Seoul Dragons

Away Owner: @PR

Home Owner: @TedLavie

Vote for who you think will win this game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Hungary Hippos

QB - Jared Goff
RB - Leonard Fournette
WR - TY Hilton
WR - DK Metcalf
WR - Larry Fitzgerald
TE - Greg Olsen
LT - Nate Solder
LG - Ali Marpet
C - Graham Glasgow
RG - Joe Dahl
RT - Jack Conklin

RB - Raheem Mostert
RB - Adrian Peterson
WR - Darius Slayton
WR - Andy Isabella
WR - Mohamed Sanu
TE - Jack Doyle
OL - Josh Kline
OL - Jamarco Jones

DE - Brandon Graham
DT - Johnathan Allen
DT - A'Shawn Robinson
DE - Mario Addison
LB - Luke Kuechly
LB - Raekwon McMillan
CB - Aqib Talib
FS - Harrison Smith
SS - Jabrill Peppers
CB - Dre Kirkpatrick
CB - Rashaan Melvin

DE - Terell Suggs
DE - Cameron Wake
DT - Tyeler Davison
LB - Dre Greenlaw
LB - Kyzir White
CB - Jonathan Joseph
CB - Tre Flowers
S - Patrick Chung

Seoul Dragons

QB Kyler Murray

RB Wayne Gallman

WR Demarcus Robinson

TE Austin Hooper

TE Gerald Everett

TE Travis Kelce

LT Ronnie Stanley

LG Rodger Saffold

C Austin Reiter

RG Mike Person

RT Donald Penn

Bench RB Jordan Howard

Bench RB Kenyan Drake

Bench RB Chase Edmonds

Bench WR Antonio Callaway

Bench WR Jamison Crowder

Bench WR Tyrell Williams (Q)

Bench OL Ty Nsekhe

Bench OL Laurent Duvernay Tardiff

4T Grady Jarrett

NT Tim Settle

3T Eddie Goldman

LEO Melvin Ingram (Q)

SLB Shaq Thompson

MLB Damian Wilson

CB Levi Wallace

CB Sidney Jones (Q)

CB K’Waun Williams

FS Marcus Williams

FS Justin Reid

Bench Edge Derek Barnett

Bench Edge Romeo Okwara

Bench Int Maliek Collins

Bench Int Ryan Glasgow

Bench LB Nigel Bradham

Bench CB Quincy Wilson

Bench CB Kevin Peterson

Bench SS Terrell Edmunds

Edited by SirA1

Hungary Hippos

Game Plan:

This week we face a team that is in complete rebuild mode. They trade two of their top corners, their starting RB, their top WR. They are obviously planning ahead for the future. 

Offense - 

We will be running the RPO this week against Seoul with a pass oriented lean. Using our blocking scheme we will look to confuse the opposing defense on which pass/run option we will be rolling with. With multiple CBs out due to injury and due to trade we will be looking to hit our triple threat at WR with TY, Larry and DK to take advantage of Seoul's walking wounded. Occasionally we will go to a 4 wide look with Darius Slayton to add another speed options onto the field. This will stretch Seoul's depth thin and test how the lower rungs of it's depth can handle one of the better WR groups in the league. We will deploy a bunch formation against Seoul's secondary in order to gain free release as they will have more of a difficulty playing press-man against this receiving group. 

In four wide, Goff will play out of shotgun to have additional time. 

Additionally in the passing game we will look to take advantage of a injury riddled LBing core this week with Olsen and on passing downs Mostert. Both provide solid receiving threats to gauge Seoul for some big plays in the passing game. 

To balance the offense, we will look to pound the ball with Fournette. With so many receiving threats on the field on any given play it makes it more difficult to put bodies onto Fournette who rumbled for over 200 yards last week. In four wides, look for the draw up the middle as Seoul's front will be thinned. Occassionally we will have 2 TE looks, especially near the endzone to allow for more running room at the edge for Fournetee and Mostert. 

Defense: 

No AJ, TY traded, David Johnson traded, AJ Green and Tyrell Williams out. Seoul will be reminiscent of the Replacements starring Keanu Reeves this week. 

So at this point Seoul could potentially come out in 2 TE or 3 WR as there really isn't a tell on which guys they really want to rely on in this matchup this week. 

So the main focus this week will be stopping Kelce and stifling the running game of Gallman/Howard and the Dolphin rejects lol. 

To stop the run this week, Robinson and Allen manning the interior and Davison being the main backup rotating in we will be looking to crush the pocket and keep the interior runs stifled. Peppers will be up in the box in both the 4-3 and 4-2-5 formations to provide an extra helmet in the box. McMillan and Kuechly are both stellar at run defense. If in 2 TE looks, Greenlaw will come on as additional run defense support. 

As for the passing game, Kuechly and McMillan will sandwich Kelce with Peppers handling the RB on the field. In TE sets, Greenlaw will play running downs while White will sub in on obvious passing plays to cover Hooper. Harrison Smith will play single high (shaded towards Talib's side of the field) with Melvin and Talib covering the outside. 

We will sporadically throw fifth blitzer (Kuechly or McMillan) to take down the Seoul's QB. This will force Seouls to make some errant throws especially if Kyler Murray is starting. 

Seoul Dragons

Offense

We are planning to surprise Hungary with our 3 TE offense this week. Kelce, Hooper and Everett are three BDL startable tight ends, and we know Hungary can’t field 4 BDL startable LBs. Behind Luke and McMillian, they’re down to IRL backups or to Reddick or Alexander. In either case, it should give us juicy 1 on 1 matchups that we will look to exploit in the passing game, or extra safeties on the field which will give us an advantage in the running game. We don’t have a pre-determined run/pass ratio, as it will likely depend on how the games goes and on the defensive personnel put on the field by Hungary. If they line up 4 LBs we will pass 70% of the time. If they line up 2Lbs and a bunch of DBs, we will run 70% of the time. If they line up 3 it will be somewhere in the middle.

We will also use a bunch of audibles to put Hungary in uncomfortable spots and to show their hand pre-snap. They probably never prepared for a full 3TE offense, and we will test that. We will flex out a tight end or two almost each snap and take what the defense gives up. If we have a DB outside vs a TE, we will call a toss or a RB screen in that direction. If we have Kelce, or someone else, double teamed outside, or if we can have Luke or McMillian (even better both), lined up wide vs our tight ends, we will run inside against a box empty of those guys – a situation we will try to provoke actually. If we have any of White/Greenlaw/Alexander/Reddick one on one vs a TE, we will target that TE heavily in the passing game.  Should they go zone, then we will have a bunch of routes in the middle or in the corners to beat that, and we will also use bunch formations with our three TE to flood zones. If we can catch a LB in deep zone, whoever that is, we will target him relentlessly with a TE or a RB by trying to simply outrun him.

We don’t want Harrison Smith to cheat inside, so DeMarcus Robinson will run mostly deep routes. If left 1 vs 1 against Hungary corner, we will target him, as we think holding a receiver with Robinson physical qualities deep 1vs1 all game is impossible. Smith will have to stay on deep responsibilities, which we won’t target at all, leaving him away from the ball. If Robinson gets tired, Callaway will give him a breather, with the exact same role. If Tyrell Williams can play and is 100% we will rotate him with Robinson, to keep everyone fresh.

Our RBs will be crucial on this game, as we will rely on them in the running and passing game. Wayne Gallman, in his first game as a starter last week, showed he could do both so we will count on him this week. Howard will rotate him and play around 30% of the snaps, as he’s in good form as well. We will use him more as a rusher than as a receiver though. Drake will play 15% of the snaps and we will use him more in the passing game, with screens and wheel routes. 

With a ball control offense relying on the run game and on TE routes, we hope we can slow down Hungary pass rush, but if they disturb our offense too much, we can use a TE to chip, especially the one not named Kelce guarded by either Kuechly or McMillian, or let a RB/TE stay in pass pro a bit before running a delayed route.

Defense

Stop the run at first level.Fournette has eaten alive Denver D last week inside. We don’t want that to happen so we will start our meat wall inside of Goldman and Settle, with Garrett playing 4tech. We want to focus as much resources as we can on the passing game so we are counting on our DL to shut down Hungary running game. Our rotation will be important as well. Glasgow and Settle will rotate on running downs, as well as Barnett/Okwara for Ingram. On passing downs, we will move Grady back inside next to Collins, with Ingram (if he plays) and Barnett/Okwara outside. If Ingram doesn’t play, Jarrett will see more snaps on the edge, Goldman more snaps inside and Shaq will also play the LEO spot here and there, with Bradham taking the SLB responsibilities. 

Prevent deep passes.Hungary has two deep threats in Hilton and Metcalf which we want to contain. We will play a mix of cover 2 man and cover 2 zone, as we feel our best cover guys are inside and we want to force Goff into making throws in tight windows. In man, Wallace takes Hilton with Marcus Williams up top, Jones (Wilson if out), takes Metcalf with Reid up top, K’Will takes Fitzgerald in the slot, Wilson takes the RB and Shaq gets the TE. In 2TE sets, Bradham takes the other TE, and, depending on down and distance, and especially if Metcalf is subbed out and not Fitz, we might rotate in Edmunds for Reid who will play in the box. 

Pressure. With our heavy DL we’ve put a premium on run stopping skills, but we still think we have a favorable matchup outside with Ingram vs Solder/Conklin. We also like our pass rush in passing downs situation, and we think our coverage will be able to give us some time to beat the opposing OL. Still we will throw some blitzes here and there, with Reid compensating this blitzer. We will mostly focus on blitz with Shaq has he’s been excellent there with Carolina.

Edited by SirA1

Tbh, I like Hungary in this one. I feel like Hungary gameplanned in a way good enough to imply accounting for the TE options, at WR, Seoul has next to nothing available. Despite their quality RB game, I just dont think Seoul is going to be able to get enough out of their passing game in this one. 21-13 Hungary

22 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Tbh, I like Hungary in this one. I feel like Hungary gameplanned in a way good enough to imply accounting for the TE options, at WR, Seoul has next to nothing available. Despite their quality RB game, I just dont think Seoul is going to be able to get enough out of their passing game in this one. 21-13 Hungary

How exactly? They have their two best LB in double of Kelce. If he's isolated outside (which I stated in my gameplan), then I have Hooper and Everett vs Greenlaw and White. Both are part time players IRL, and at least LAC isn't exactly known for the quality of their LB play.

But if you feel that's a good way to counter those TE options, what can I say ...

I really like the creativity of Seoul, after trading away a lot of their pieces. I however believe the Hippos will pull this W out. The Hippos have the better talent and they game planned to use their talent effectively. While they don't mention a three tight end offense, they would likely make the adjustments in game, like having the second corner on a tight end. They do mention a two tight offense, and one can take away from that how to cover the three, as their is obviously a corner on the field that would have to have some coverage responsibility. One corner takes the WR, one corner takes a TE, Luke K. and McMillian take Kelce, the other LB, Greenlaw or White take the third TE, Peppers takes the RB, and Smith playing single high. It is easy to figure out here. I think the third TE does get some action and when McMillian or Keuchley blitz one of those guys is one on one with Kelce and I think Kelce gets some good opportunities as well. It just won't be enough. 

Pretty decent shoot out here. Seoul planned its offense pretty well and they will have some success against Hungary. 

But I think Hungary is the better team here and they’re able to get the win. Hilton and Metcalf are good for explosiveness and I like the chain moving ability of Fitz and Olsen. The offensive line, especially LT, is a weakness for Hungary but Seoul can’t take advantage very well with Ingram out. I think Wallace is pretty decent but I otherwise don’t like much about the Seoul secondary. 

While I enjoy these three te offense attempt, Seoul was counting on Ingram who unfortunately was out.  Big difference here.  Btw ted doesn't believe in his own offense and I quote "Anyway, I think Rome overshoot in this. GL package as a base offense isn't going to cut it for me. You're just beggining.. to bring 9 defenders into the box" 

Hippos 21-13

• Like 1

Really creative gameplan by Seoul, but it's not enough to stop the two deaded monster at QB and RB for the Hippos. Fournette continues to breakout and Goff hits his targets at all three levels. The 3 TE setup was cool at first, but not over the course of a full game

Hippos 31-17

3 TE set would be much more productive with a better RB that can get yardage from that set and then allow for play action. It just seems like Hippos don't have to account for the run which puts Seoul at a greater risk for turnovers and 3 and outs.  

24-7 easy win for the hippos