Is the Patriots defense for real?

Cheesehawk

Is the Patriots defense for real?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Patriots defense for real?

• Yes
    • No

24 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

“The Patriots look good, but there’s context here - the schedule has been soft.” 

”Matt Cassel took the Patriots to 11-5, no context necessary - you can only play who’s in front of you.”

Whatever’s convenient, I guess.

Sports arguments are all about who can cherry pick the most and not get called out.

• Like 3

Some will say the Cowboys have a very good defense and Darnold beat them. The next week Pats played the same QB and made him look totally foolish. Bad teams or not the Pats have destroyed however they played. The comparison is the Cowboys defense and Pats, against the same opponent.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Some will say the Cowboys have a very good defense and Darnold beat them. The next week Pats played the same QB and made him look totally foolish. Bad teams or not the Pats have destroyed however they played. The comparison is the Cowboys defense and Pats, against the same opponent.

That's the thing, while the Patriots schedule has not been impressive, no other team is coming close to doing what they are doing to common opponents. Darnold throws for like 300+ against the Cowboys and the Jets offense looks solid...To only look like the worst offense in the league the following week.

Same arguments are being made against the 49ers 6-0 start. And some folks on TV were putting the Seahawks ahead of the Niners in power rankings saying Niners played no one...Well, we damn near have had a similar schedule to the Seahawks by having four common opponents. Both teams are 4-0 in those games with the Seahawks winning those four games by less than 10 points compared to the Niners who have like a +50 point differential. 

Make no mistake, against better offenses the Patriots defense will allow more yards/points, but they have all the makings of an all time great defense. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

Sports arguments are all about who can cherry pick the most and not get called out.

I’m honestly a guilty party, lol. It just suits me to point this out because A) it involves my team, and B) it easily comes to mind. 

...so you can just go ahead and write my name under the “Part of the Problem” column.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 4

They are absolutely for real.  Sure they may not have been tested by the best QBs this year but that is not their fault. They are doing what great defenses do and that is embarrassing teams. My only issue with "historically great" is they really do not have anyone to be feared it seems.  You look at the old Ravens, Steelers, Bears defenses and they have a few players who you just outright feared.  The Patriots have the best CB in the league currently but no one else I think you can rank up there with some of the guys on those truly fearful defenses.  Their technique and execution however, has been perfect. 

19 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

My honestly a guilty party, lol. It just suits me to point this out because A) it involves my team, and B) it easily comes to mind. 

...so you can just go ahead and write my name under the “Part of the Problem” column.

We’re all biased, anyone who says otherwise is just lying.

Some coordinator will crack the code soon enough. We saw what Andy Reid did in the 2nd half of the AFC championship game, when he altered his strategy. I think they scored 31 points on this defense in a half of football. 

With that said, they are very strong in the secondary and their linebackers are built like tanks. This is the classic Belichick defensive model. Take away the running game and eliminate the downfield passing game. 

Edited by Howler

1 hour ago, acowboys62 said:

They are absolutely for real.  Sure they may not have been tested by the best QBs this year but that is not their fault. They are doing what great defenses do and that is embarrassing teams. My only issue with "historically great" is they really do not have anyone to be feared it seems.  You look at the old Ravens, Steelers, Bears defenses and they have a few players who you just outright feared.  The Patriots have the best CB in the league currently but no one else I think you can rank up there with some of the guys on those truly fearful defenses.  Their technique and execution however, has been perfect. 

Dont'a Hightower  relating his skills to today's game are pretty remarkable. 6'4 270 and can play all over the field.  Can cover, rush, play the run play inside/out  Only knock is staying healthy.

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

As for my comment about Baltimore, that's not making anything up, it's a known fact. 

By your insane logic (rivalries = more offense) this means that the Darnold Jets who scored 24 against Dallas should have been able to score 30+ against New England cUz rIvAlReEz!

They scored -2 instead so the Patriots D must be historically great.

18 hours ago, m haynes said:

Dont'a Hightower  relating his skills to today's game are pretty remarkable. 6'4 270 and can play all over the field.  Can cover, rush, play the run play inside/out  Only knock is staying healthy.

Good player, yes. Impressive athleticism for his size, yes. A defender to be feared?  I would have to say no on that. 

15 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Good player, yes. Impressive athleticism for his size, yes. A defender to be feared?  I would have to say no on that. 

Dude has some mad pushing strength tbf. He's very good when engaged. He was the one who bench pressed Okung in order to stop Lynch as well. 

Image result for donta hightower superbowl gif

• Like 1