Week 7 GDT: The Saints

JAF-N72EX

Many, many issues to be resolved but two of the most dominant factors have not changed since I critiqued them long ago.

1) Trubisky is not grasping this offense.  Not even close.  He looked better both last season and even under Loggains when given fewer options.  He's not picking it up nor is he able to function well under pressure right now and I don't mean pass rush pressure only.  He's regressed badly.

2) With 54 passing attempts again today it's time for Nagy to give up the play calling and figure out all of what he needs to do as a HC in order to get his team back on track.  Despite the level of talent he has for whatever reason this team cannot execute his offense well especially the running game.

Coming out in two consecutive weeks playing flat as they did in games in which they were favored is a sign something isn't going well at Halas Hall.  Why?

Is it possible the team has lost it's faith in Trubisky as it's QB and by proxy in Nagy as well since he seems locked into continuing to start him when much like Kyle Long he needs to be replaced until he can figure out how to do his job correctly?  I'm not saying we're ruining him but Nagy sure as hell is not helping him either as his coach or his game planner and play caller.

Daniel is no prize but he knows the offense and won't panic or miss reads and ignore his best targets.  Mitch needs to be sat down and earn his job back and if he can't do that when his competition is Chase Daniel then Pace should be looking to enact Plan B and start looking for another QB to compete with him in 2020.  Right now Mitch doesn't deserve to start.

I can't imagine what in the hell is wrong with the OL other than they simply can't execute the schemes Nagy wants to run.  This is an extension of the same issue we had last season and clearly replacing Howard hasn't helped at all.  Given the contracts that have been handed out we can't replace these guys but we can expect Nagy to stop being stubborn about his insistence on running a scheme that clearly does not suit the skills of the OL he has.  Surely some of the blame for the lack of an effective running game is on him and IMHO MOST of it is on him.  This is not a power blocking OL.  It's a finesse style zone blocking OL so go with that.

I don't even want to deal with the defense yet because with this offense unless they can routinely hold opponents to 13 points or less we won't win much anyway and like past years they'll be spent trying long before the season is over.  They're already showing signs of it.

So for now this is about Nagy and Trubisky alone and at the moment both are failing at their primary responsibilities as team leaders.  If anyone can think of any better reasons for why the fight seems to have gone out of this team I'd love to hear it but IMHO the most critical issues right now are Matt Nagy needs to learn how to be a more complete NFL HC not a glorified OC and Mitch Trubisky needs to learn how to be an NFL QB and offensive leader because at this moment both are failing badly at their primary positions.

I'm as certain as death and taxes that this team will not improve until those two issue are worked out for the better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyty said:

Could you really trust Trubisky as a backup tho?

He is starter material. Look at his rushing stats. 6 YPC. AP and Barry Sanders have had one season where he averaged that, Tomlinson never has, Payton never did. 

Let's use this HOF RB to right the ship. 

21 minutes ago, soulman said:

Many, many issues to be resolved but two of the most dominant factors have not changed since I critiqued them long ago.

1) Trubisky is not grasping this offense.  Not even close.  He looked better both last season and even under Loggains when given fewer options.  He's not picking it up nor is he able to function well under pressure right now and I don't mean pass rush pressure only.  He's regressed badly.

2) With 54 passing attempts again today it's time for Nagy to give up the play calling and figure out all of what he needs to do as a HC in order to get his team back on track.  Despite the level of talent he has for whatever reason this team cannot execute his offense well especially the running game.

Coming out in two consecutive weeks playing flat as they did in games in which they were favored is a sign something isn't going well at Halas Hall.  Why?

Is it possible the team has lost it's faith in Trubisky as it's QB and by proxy in Nagy as well since he seems locked into continuing to start him when much like Kyle Long he needs to be replaced until he can figure out how to do his job correctly?  I'm not saying we're ruining him but Nagy sure as hell is not helping him either as his coach or his game planner and play caller.

Daniel is no prize but he knows the offense and won't panic or miss reads and ignore his best targets.  Mitch needs to be sat down and earn his job back and if he can't do that when his competition is Chase Daniel then Pace should be looking to enact Plan B and start looking for another QB to compete with him in 2020.  Right now Mitch doesn't deserve to start.

I can't imagine what in the hell is wrong with the OL other than they simply can't execute the schemes Nagy wants to run.  This is an extension of the same issue we had last season and clearly replacing Howard hasn't helped at all.  Given the contracts that have been handed out we can't replace these guys but we can expect Nagy to stop being stubborn about his insistence on running a scheme that clearly does not suit the skills of the OL he has.  Surely some of the blame for the lack of an effective running game is on him and IMHO MOST of it is on him.  This is not a power blocking OL.  It's a finesse style zone blocking OL so go with that.

I don't even want to deal with the defense yet because with this offense unless they can routinely hold opponents to 13 points or less we won't win much anyway and like past years they'll be spent trying long before the season is over.  They're already showing signs of it.

So for now this is about Nagy and Trubisky alone and at the moment both are failing at their primary responsibilities as team leaders.  If anyone can think of any better reasons for why the fight seems to have gone out of this team I'd love to hear it but IMHO the most critical issues right now are Matt Nagy needs to learn how to be a more complete NFL HC not a glorified OC and Mitch Trubisky needs to learn how to be an NFL QB and offensive leader because at this moment both are failing badly at their primary positions.

I'm as certain as death and taxes that this team will not improve until those two issue are worked out for the better.

I'm just speculating here but I think Nagy is too nice of a coach to these guys.  Ya it's cool to have that player coach relationship, club dub, egg tossing competitions and all that fun lax stuff but I think he may need to be a little harder on these guys in practice and meetings and hold them more accountable. Start by benching guys who aren't performing up to the task. Ex. Anthony Miller and Tarik Cohen.

When they did this with Roquan a few weeks back against the Vikings, the D seemed to be more in sync and played awesome and that was without Hicks too.

I also agree that Nagy needs to take a break from play calling and focus solely on getting this team ready to play and coach on Sundays. I mean it cannot get any worse can it..and why do you even have an OC for if you're not going to utilize him in that capacity?

Those are the immediate changes that need to be made IMO if this team is going to salvage anything this season.

Nagy didn't shoot down the playcalling change in his post game comments when pressed on the subject so we'll see. I think he's smart enough of a guy to know his weaknesses and probably realizes the honeymoon period he had with fans and media is now over.

Reigning coach of the year doesn't buy you anything with a fan base as hungry as this one. 

Edited by topwop1

12 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Did he really  even deserve the award? The defense carried the team and outside of 5 weeks or so the offense was mostly dreadful. 

Not really...just as Mitch didn't deserve the pro bowl nod.

I'm happy for Nagy that he won it but to be honest I think Frank Reich deserved it just as much if not more.

I'm already very disappointed with Nagy this season but I won't call for his head if Bears go on the rest of 2019 like they have been up until now.

He's a young and inexperienced coach still figuring out his way. I think he's very smart and a good leader but he has a lot to improve on also. 

That offense needs to improve prive mightily. That's why he was brought in after all.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

Seems to me we may have a bit of a morale issue right now and the players are looking for Nagy to step in and deal with that in an affirmative way. 

Being tougher on specific players and becoming more proactive in evaluating whether or not they continue to earn snaps is needed but much tougher to do when you're also the primary game planner and play caller.  You install a game plan that's dependent on certain players being on the field to execute that play and so they are when it's very possible they should not be.

IMHO it's time to stop trying to do two or three jobs well and simply fold back into doing the one job he was hired for and become the HC first.  It's what's required for now.  Helfrich is certainly capable of sending plays in to whomever is taking snaps and it's not as if Nagy is far away if he feels a need to interject something during a game.  He needs to see the bigger picture now.

His other task should be calling in his under performers for some face to face meetings listening to what they have to say about their own struggles but also telling each precisely what's expected to them from this point on.  They should be given goals to achieve and if they fail to achieve them it's next man up and no excuses.  If you want to keep your job then earn it each week.

I don't know about anyone else here but listening to any HC tell me how puzzled he is about how poorly his team played when they had such a good week of practices tells me that HC hasn't a clue about just how much worse they are than their next opponent.  What other reason can you give?  Simply manhandling the "scout team" mean jack to me if you come out as flat as we have in 3 losses.

It's getting awfully difficult to accept that a team who went 12-4 last season and actually seemed to improve itself in the offseason could play with so little execution and so little heart.  Something ain't right and all roads lead to coaching.  Either they can or can't execute what's being asked of them now and if it's can't then if you want to salvage this season you'd better start dealing with what they can execute well each game and phuc the fancy stuff and deceptions that are only confusing your own team not the other guys.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Not really...just as Mitch didn't deserve the pro bowl nod.

I'm happy for Nagy that he won it but to be honest I think Frank Reich deserved it just as much if not more.

I'm already very disappointed with Nagy this season but I won't call for his head if Bears go on the rest of 2019 like they have been up until now.

He's a young and inexperienced coach still figuring out his way. I think he's very smart and a good leader but he has a lot to improve on also. 

That offense needs to improve prive mightily. That's why he was brought in after all.

I believe a lot of it is just this.  He's getting out coached now and has in all three of our losses.

He's also not getting the job done with Mitch which as the other primary reason he got the job.

If Nagy expects to salvage his season, his pride, and quite possibly Mitch's career as an NFL starter he needs to become a complete NFL HC first and with whatever time is left over continue to work diligently on teaching Trubisky how to think instinctively like any good NFL QB needs to.  Both need to look seriously at their weaknesses and develop a better plan for improving them.

Let Helfrich and Childress put together a few game plans and allow Helfrich to do the play calling while Nagy absorbs the ebb and flow of the game.  He can't learn to be an effective game day HC when 90% of his focus is on just one thing.  He was once a QB and he needs to become one again but a QB of his entire team not just a glorified OC.

Edited by soulman

2 hours ago, soulman said:

I believe a lot of it is just this.  He's getting out coached now and has in all three of our losses.

He's also not getting the job done with Mitch which as the other primary reason he got the job.

If Nagy expects to salvage his season, his pride, and quite possibly Mitch's career as an NFL starter he needs to become a complete NFL HC first and with whatever time is left over continue to work diligently on teaching Trubisky how to think instinctively like any good NFL QB needs to.  Both need to look seriously at their weaknesses and develop a better plan for improving them.

Let Helfrich and Childress put together a few game plans and allow Helfrich to do the play calling while Nagy absorbs the ebb and flow of the game.  He can't learn to be an effective game day HC when 90% of his focus is on just one thing.  He was once a QB and he needs to become one again but a QB of his entire team not just a glorified OC.

I don't know with Nagy. He has had 18 games with Trub. That is enough of a sample for me. If he can't get it done now he never will. In the post game presser Trubisky just keeps rambling about how great practices were. I have had enough of the excuses and we got to figure it out crap.

Edited by malagabears

4 hours ago, malagabears said:

In the post game presser Trubisky just keeps rambling about how great practices were. I have had enough of the excuses and we got to figure it out crap.

When you stink or blow it there is literaly nothing you can say to make people happy.

Everything comes out wrong or hits the ears wrong. 

Like Parky when he missed that kick. "Well I still have my family." 

What a jerk! Amirite? 

They are forced to speak to media. They have to say something. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soulman said:

It's getting awfully difficult to accept that a team who went 12-4 last season and actually seemed to improve itself in the offseason could play with so little execution and so little heart.  Something ain't right and all roads lead to coaching.  Either they can or can't execute what's being asked of them now and if it's can't then if you want to salvage this season you'd better start dealing with what they can execute well each game and phuc the fancy stuff and deceptions that are only confusing your own team not the other guys.

Did they really improve much though? I know people had high hopes for Montgomery. But most of this off season’s moves seemed lateral at best.

21 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

If my recollection is accurate, the Bears have 1 offensive touchdown in 3 home games.

0 vs GB
1 vs MIN
0 vs NO

Well if you want to count garbage time then they have 3, 2 coming form yesterday's game.  But ya in real time when it matters 1 TD.