GDT "beardown3231's lousy preseason Super Bowl matchup prediction" Edition: Chargers & Bears 10/27/19

beardown3231

6 minutes ago, soulman said:

It's the same old story ad nauseum.

Great defense, very good RBs but a QB who can't handle his role and win games paired with an arrogant and stubborn HC who can't see how he might be a negative impact on his entire team by continuing to insist on doing the same old crap yet expecting something to change.

Club Dub and all of the "BOOM" in the world can't make up for execution and playing good old fashioned hard nosed football and this team simply doesn't do that now.  Nagy can't win with his "gadget offense" and he doesn't know how to scheme or play call for one that simply wins via out executing and out toughing and opponent.

He's getting out coached every game and losing to teams with less talent he should easily be winning by double digits scores over.  Then when challenged as Bears fans and media will do he wants to play "my way or no way at all".  You only get to do that when you're winning and he's not winning so it's time to put up or STFU, drop the hubris and become more humble, and fix his scheme and his QB along with his questionable decisions and play calling.

He literally changed his play-calling and did exactly what fans asked. He established the run. He took some shots downfield.

The Bears missed 2 FGs and their QB turned the ball over twice. If not for those mistakes, they win the game. The players need to execute.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, yomyyo said:

I found the infographic about Bears starters, shown during the broadcast, to be eye-opening; Sexy Rexy only had 24 starts, while today was Mitch's 32! Mitch has had nearly an extra season of starts to plead his viability. Hopefully the org has learnt lessons from Rex and Jay and will move on quickly. Unfortunately, as Windy has expounded, options are going to be limited and none are a guarantee of improvement. 

If they're going to keep Nagy beyond this season which is probable barring some complete Trestman esque collapse..then I don't want them to draft a QB in 2020 because it could be both Nagy and Pace's last year in Chicago and I don't want them wasting resources on someone that may not fit the new eventual front office/coaching staff.

No more waiting and seeing if Nagy is able to develop a QB. Get someone who can step in right away and be competent enough while you still have the pieces in place on D. We can't go through any more of these QB growing pains.

Edited by topwop1

8 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

He literally changed his play-calling and did exactly what fans asked. He established the run. He took some shots downfield.

The Bears missed 2 FGs and their QB turned the ball over twice. If not for those mistakes, they win the game. The players need to execute.

The play calling within the red zone was very questionable...Mitch played well enough to win, the defense played well enough to win, Nagy did not.

10 minutes ago, dafreak said:

The play calling within the red zone was very questionable...Mitch played well enough to win, the defense played well enough to win, Nagy did not.

Mitch played well enough to not lose which isn't what you expect from a #2 overall pick...and then the 4th quarter happened.  Those 2 turnovers are why we lost pretty much. You lose the turnover battle and you lose the game in most cases. 

Hate to beat a dead horse but anyone see Watson put his team on his back in a come from behind gutsy win today?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Mitch played well enough to not lose which isn't what you expect from a #2 overall pick...and then the 4th quarter happened.  Those 2 turnovers are why we lost pretty much. You lose the turnover battle and you lose the game in most cases. 

Hate to beat a dead horse but anyone see Watson put his team on his back in a come from behind gutsy win today?

Nah, I dont think the 2 turnovers is why we lost. The fact we couldnt score within the red zone is why we lost. Those play calls were horrible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Nah, I dont think the 2 turnovers is why we lost. The fact we couldnt score within the red zone is why we lost. Those play calls were horrible.

We were up 16-10 heading into the 4th when Mitch committed his 2 turnovers and lost by 1 point. So ya the 2 turnovers is why we lost more than anything else. Hard to pin it on one specific thing but those are the things you cannot do and expect to win.

Edited by topwop1

9 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

We were up 16-10 heading into the 4th when Mitch committed his 2 turnovers and lost by 1 point. So ya the 2 turnovers is why we lost more than anything else. Hard to pin it on one specific thing but those are the things you cannot do and expect to win.

I disagree, the fact we could not convert in the red zone is why we lost. Turnovers are part of the game, all QB's have them, but consistent crappy play calling is hard to overcome.

Edited by dafreak

28 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I don't dispute that but again whether it was in the red zone or at the tail end when instructing Mitch to take a knee he failed or should we say his offense and play calls failed to win him a game he should have won by at least two scores..

I'm sorry but taking a knee with .43 seconds and a time out left because you lack confidence in your own offense to keep moving the ball is one of the biggest ***** out moves I've seen from him yet and again it helped cost him a game.

Piniero hit the kick well and it was on target until the last 10-15 yards when it looked like a crosswind caught it and pushed it left.  He missed by about 12" or less but from 30-35 yards it was a good kick.  Sure, Piniero will catch the heat for that but as I posted previously it should never have come down to that to begin with. 

You can't win by always depending on last second FGs.  Not when you had four trips to the goal line and came away with only 9 points. 

They don't hand out wins for yardage gained by a RB or passing yardage by a QB.  This ain't FF.   You have to score more than 16 points to win most NFL games and we have never done that consistently under Nagy.  Nagy is who keeps insisting he'll keep playing Mitch despite his errors and inability to win so IMHO that's one him as well including the turnovers.

This is Nagy's offense being run off Nagy's schemes and play calling and it is NOT WORKING.....that's about all I can say.

11 minutes ago, soulman said:

I don't dispute that but again whether it was in the red zone or at the tail end when instructing Mitch to take a knee he failed or should we say his offense and play calls failed to win him a game he should have won by at least two scores..

I'm sorry but taking a knee with .43 seconds and a time out left because you lack confidence in your own offense to keep moving the ball is one of the biggest ***** out moves I've seen from him yet and again it helped cost him a game.

Piniero hit the kick well and it was on target until the last 10-15 yards when it looked like a crosswind caught it and pushed it left.  He missed by about 12" or less but from 30-35 yards it was a good kick.  Sure, Piniero will catch the heat for that but as I posted previously it should never have come down to that to begin with. 

You can't win by always depending on last second FGs.  Not when you had four trips to the goal line and came away with only 9 points. 

They don't hand out wins for yardage gained by a RB or passing yardage by a QB.  This ain't FF.   You have to score more than 16 points to win most NFL games and we have never done that consistently under Nagy.  Nagy is who keeps insisting he'll keep playing Mitch despite his errors and inability to win so IMHO that's one him as well including the turnovers.

This is Nagy's offense being run off Nagy's schemes and play calling and it is NOT WORKING.....that's about all I can say.

THIS!!@@!!!!

48 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

If not for the Chargers not executing they would have been up by a lot. 

There is a lot of what ifs to go around but Nagy sucked in the red zone along with arguably a bad call in not going for more yards. Trubisky also sucked in the 4th quarter pretty much putting a nail in the Bears winning with his mistakes. The defense was good but again they didn’t play a complete game and had very little pash rush. 

Also the situation the Bears are in starts at the top. This is basically the same team that is going to be playing next season. Pace put them in this situation by going all in with all the trades losing draft capitol, also how many teams get a five year rebuilding time. Now it looks like they will have to start over again but it could be a year delayed because they can’t do anything this off season. 

17 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Watching this Chiefs game and it's almost like Reid's offense requires a QB.

Trubisky missed throw after throw today, including the dagger to a wide open Gabriel that he somehow overthrew. That's not Nagy's fault.

I was thinking the exact same thing. The a chiefs offense looks terrible with Matt Moore. They also can’t run the ball all that well either.

Brian Shottenheimer is the OC for the Seahawks right now as Wilson try’s to get an MVP. Is anyone crowning him as an offensive genius?

We need a legit QB in here.

19 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. The a chiefs offense looks terrible with Matt Moore. They also can’t run the ball all that well either.

Brian Shottenheimer is the OC for the Seahawks right now as Wilson try’s to get an MVP. Is anyone crowning him as an offensive genius?

We need a legit QB in here.

I have only watched this last drive, but with that and looking at the box score he doesn’t look that bad to me. 

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Exactly......

Matt Nagy had ‘zero thought’ trying to get closer for Bears’ final field goal

by Alyssa Barbieri

When Nagy was asked about why he didn't think to use those free downs to try and make the attempt easier for Pineiro, Nagy insisted that thought never crossed his mind.

“I’m not even going to get into that,” Nagy said after the game. “I had zero thought of running the ball and not kicking it. The chance of fumbling the football, or they know you’re running the football, so you lose three, four yards. That wasn’t even in our process as coaches to think about that.”

But why he didn't let Trubisky pass in that situation? Nagy made his stance blatantly clear.

“Throw the football?” Nagy said. “What happens if you take a sack and you fumble? There was zero thought of that. I’ll just be brutally clear: Zero thought of running the football, zero thought of throwing the football. You understand me?”

So...he's admitting he was panicked, and therefore frozen into utter indecision. Wow. Good look for him.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Coaches take a knee all the time in that situation. It's a chip-shot field goal for most kickers and it should have been made. You don't put the ball at risk if you feel you're in range.

First down, with fifty two seconds left? Provide another example of that. I'll wait. 

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Yeah, it may have been beyond the range where coaches typically stop trying to move the ball. But the hyperbole with which it's being criticized is pretty ridiculous. In this thread we had a fan say he'd never seen a worse coaching decision.

Getting in for a closer--and in case you need clarity here, an easier field goal? When there is, essentially, no reason to do otherwise? 

Produce a worse strategic, on-field,  coaching decision. I'll wait. There may be other decisions that are equally stupid--can't think of any that are worse.

• Like 1