BDL 2017 Week 1: Wichita WoodPeckers @ Rome Eternals

DingoLadd

Who wins  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Wichita Woodpeckers
    • Rome Eternals

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2017 at 04:00 AM

Neither team is looking particularly impressive on paper at this point, but I think that offensive line for Wichita looks like a trainwreck despite the offensive talent surrounding Palmer. Although Rome doesn't exactly have the greatest DL to take as much advantage of that OL as one would expect, it should do enough on a regular basis to win the field position battle and generate enough scoring opportunities for an offense which is a bit lacklustre but should be functional on it's day. 17-10 Rome. 

As much as I'd like to make fun of Wichita's o-line. My WRs are in worse shape. 

Overall Wichita has a very good offense led by a Gunslinging QB which should lead to a turnover or two. I think they'll score enough to keep this close, But Rome just has the better gameplan and can protect Eli better. 

6 hours ago, PR said:

Bud dont say I didnt field five starting olinemen if you cant take the time to actually look. People have a bsd habit of reading the first few responses on here and setting a mindset. Reporting falsehoods is not the way to start.

And for those wondering: They all did start.

The one thing Id like to add to this is that both of Carsons tackles in the Arz-Det games graded out in the bottom 10 this past week with replacement LT Wetzel being the worst in the NFL. Palmer doesn't have that issue here and with a lack of pass rush beyond Dunlap has all the time inbthe world in the pocket. His DTs are run defenders and NOT pass rushers.

I did take the time to look. But it's hard to google if a player started without a first name.... Almost thought you started a d-lineman at OG (There's a dude named Ryan Glasgow who plays DT for the bengals) but obviously you did field 5 lineman. You just made it hard to check if you did, they didn't do well but they did start. 

Wichita 13 – 30 Rome

72F, no wind

Scoring Summary;

1st Quarter

ROM 3:33 TD Michael Crabtree 11 yd. pass from Manning (XP kick) 0-7

2nd Quarter

WIC 13:29 TD Matt Forte 5 yd. pass from Palmer (XP kick) 7-7

ROM 10:21 TD Todd Gurley 16 yd. pass from Manning (XP kick) 7-14

WIC 4:10 FG FG 31 yds. 10-14

WIC 0:00 FG FG 44 yds. 13-14

3rd Quarter

ROM 11:29 FG FG 47 yds. 13-17

4th Quarter

ROM 9:31 FG FG 40 yds. 13-20

ROM 3:13 TD Theo Riddick 7 yd. run (XP kick) 13-27

ROM 0:00 FG FG 33 yds. 13-30

Key Stat Leaders;

Passing:

WIC: Carson Palmer – 13/21, 157yds, 1TD, 1Int

ROM: Eli Manning – 20/27, 260yds, 2TDs, 1Int

Rushing:

WIC: Leonard Fournette, 17 car, 68yds

WIC: Matt Forte, 11 car, 31yds

ROM: Todd Gurley – 17 car, 64yds

ROM: Theo Riddick – 10 car, 42yds, 1TD

Receiving:

WIC: Kenny Still – 1 rec, 35yds

WIC: Eric Decker – 2 recs, 29yds

ROM: Michael Crabtree – 6 recs, 113yds, 1TD

ROM: Amari Cooper – 5 recs, 66yds

Close game. Wichita guards are terrible, but Rome inside OL doesn't offer much in terms of pass rush, so I guess Palmer will have time to throw (though I do worry about Osemele at LT). Dez vs Jenkins is matchup nightmare for PR but starting Humphrey, who played 9 snaps Sunday, is a hug mistake for Rome. All in all, I like Wichita running game here, but I do worry about their ability to run consistently behind that OL. Rome has a much better OL but Wichita has a good pass rush, so it should be a fun much. I think in the end, Rome can sustain drives a little more consistently thanks to better skill players, despite Eli Manning who might start to be a burden for Rome. Rome 20-14

Worst QB matchup of the week. Eli is much better protected but his interior IRL is solid. I think Wichita's edge rush, LB duo, and Harrison Smith are nothing to mess with. Gurley should have a better day than IRL.

i think Wichita has more talent, but Fournette is not all of a sudden turning into a quality checkdown option. Thus I think Wichita's offensive line is going to be exploited when Palmer needs to stretch the ball vertically. Perhaps Goff time comes soon. 

Wichita definitely looks back at this game as a should've won.

Rome 23-13

Carson Palmer's arm is part of the issue for Wichita this week in addition to the OL woes. I think Rome takes it in a close one and would recommend starting Goff next week for the Peckers.

Rome 20 - Wichita 17

2nd on including the first names in the lineup. I use a simple google doc and just sub in players as needed so you aren't typing it each week. Also Paste as Plain text is our friend since the forum double spaces everything. 

Archived