Is Baker the Answer? (Poll)

NudeTayne

QB  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Is Baker the Answer?

• Yes. He's a franchise QB through and through ascending through challenges.
    • He's more of a mid-tier guy, fine for now once he calms down but still worth looking at other high picks coming out.
    • Pretty questionable. I'd be fine spending a 2019 2nd/3rd on a QB for competition, with the goal that this guy could take over.
    • No. I don't think he's that good. He was way overdrafted.
    • No. He might work out alright, but he is a bad look for this team and I don't want it.

15 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Its a shame we have such an inept coaching staff that players as talented as Baker and OBJ look bad.

It really pisses me off that I thought with the assistant coaches we have on the offensive staff, that it wouldnt be this bad. That they could help Freddie out.

We have vet OC, we have one of the better OL coaches in the game, we have one of the better WR coaches, we have one of the better RB coaches in the game, and etc.

You think they would be able to help Freddie more.

Freddie is almost on a Chudd level for me and I wanted Chudd fired after that blow out loss to Cincy

8 minutes ago, cattleman78 said:

Way  way to early to tell. Freddie made a big mistake not playing Baker and O.B.J. in practice games.

that might have been an issue the first couple of games but they have had plenty of games and practices together now

• Like 3

14 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Its a shame we have such an inept coaching staff that players as talented as Baker and OBJ look bad.

I am feeling some kinda way about folks wanting to lay all the blame on Freddie Kitchens....He has made some bone head calls earlier in the year....but so have MANY first year HC's..give this man a chance to grow. Give the coaching staff a chance to get  into a grove of working with new coaches, in a new place, with a bunch of young players.

The coaching staff has made Baker look bad, when he's running out of a intact pocket into sacks? (that has not been happening as much in recent games, which I attribute to the coaching staff).....or the 4-5 passes I've seen OBJ CLEARLY drop, I'm not complaining about him, he is a top 5 WR in this league and is working on Chemistry....but Kitchens didnt make Chubb Fumble on BACK TO BACK plays, one leading to a TD......Kitchens didnt miss a block and let the ball get Intercepted. 

I know Freddie jumps on all the hand grenades, but lets support our coach, OUR ROOKIE HC, and not tear him down because he's not coaching like a 15 year vet HC with 2 Super Bowl rings with 2 different teams and a College National Championship as a HC. 

Patience People.....I live in the DMV area...and the nationals won the World Series last night.....I remember at the All Star Break, things were so bad there were DOZENS of people calling into the local sports talk radio station DEMANDING that he be Fired IMMEDIATELY and try and bring in someone to save the season.......WOW what a difference half a season with a healthy roster makes....

But Back on Topic......Baker Mayfield is 100% UNEQUIVOCALLY the answer at QB, he's going through a Soph Slump, with a Rookie HC that is having Rookie HC growing pains. We need to turn into a Run 1rst team (Chubb and Ward seem not be having the Soph Slump) and play Defense....lean on special teams. Dont focus on how we "should" win and lets start using the parts that ARE working to win, while we get the parts that aint working up to speed.

D is playing good when its not exhausted....Oline can run block better than it passblocks, Chubb has no soph slump so far, Hunt is back after the Bronco's game, and we have strengthening special teams, that can be counted on to do their part. I too would like to be throwing the ball 55 times, and winning games 38-17.....but if we have to win a games 20-17, so be it....

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 3

In hindsight:

-We knew the first 8 games were going to be brutal, they all spent the whole off season analyzing Baker's film and did a great job of devising plans to stop it. Guys like Dean Pees, Gregg Williams (Who was his coach last year), Wade Phillips, Bill Belichick, and Ken Norton Jr., is a murders row of defensive coordinators to start your year off against, I think we may have overestimated what Baker could do against these NFL veteran coaches (With a rookie HC).

-Baker has 9 games to get his act together against perceived lesser opponents and get into a groove with his teammates. If he can do that he will generate lots of momentum. Its all right in front of him, he just has to settle down and let it rip one down at a time.

• Like 5

On 10/31/2019 at 11:19 AM, Reginaldm9 said:

I'm worried he'll get broken by ****ty coaching seeing as how his system in college catered to his weaknesses (reading the field/scanning targets). 

It’s the #1 thing I hate about college football. Unless you’re playing OSU, Bama, or Clemson you don’t have to read defenses and you won’t be punished for it.

8 hours ago, MarkPrice25 said:

Something I found interesting is that on PFF when you put in the 2019 overall grades of all 32 starting QBs and sort them from best to worst, Baker is still graded out as 14th of 32.

And that is exactly where he's at in the latest PFF QB Rankings.

It’s because he hasn’t been nearly as bad as the raw numbers would indicate.  

The INT’s from dropped passes, defensive lineman not being blocked, etc., don’t get attributed to the QB when PFF does their evaluations.  

He hasn’t been great, but the numbers are deceiving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s because he hasn’t been nearly as bad as the raw numbers would indicate.  

The INT’s from dropped passes, defensive lineman not being blocked, etc., don’t get attributed to the QB when PFF does their evaluations.  

He hasn’t been great, but the numbers are deceiving.

Yeah. Which is why it's especially annoying arguing with people who don't watch many Browns games. They look at Baker's numbers and just go "LOL BaKEr iS a bUSt!" without knowing any of the context of the situation.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yeah. Which is why it's especially annoying arguing with people who don't watch many Browns games. They look at Baker's numbers and just go "LOL BaKEr iS a bUSt!" without knowing any of the context of the situation.

Yeah I’m just not engaging in that nonsense right now tbh.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DawgX said:

its not even just boxscore watching, its also watching/listening to the media that wants to tear him done. which sucks cause that is literally one of our beat writers in that group of haters

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

its not even just boxscore watching, its also watching/listening to the media that wants to tear him done. which sucks cause that is literally one of our beat writers in that group of haters

That beat writer has been a perpetual black cloud over the fan base for his entire career. He’s constantly negative, no matter what.  It’s not being objective or measured, it’s just negative and stirring the pot.

The questions he asked we simply meant to goad Baker, which they did.  You don’t get bonus points for being an arsehole on purpose and for no reason.

Players should simply refuse to answer his questions at this point.