Team Building the FUTURE is now!

thebestever6

Was looking at Denver’s cap situation.  It would appear that if Denver cuts Flacco and Leary they will have $80M in cap space.  If I am reading it correctly NFL teams must spend around 95% of their cap each year.  I am no salary guru, but if true I would expect Denver to be heavy hitters on the FA market with the ability to sign 4 players around $10M+ annually.  

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Was looking at Denver’s cap situation.  It would appear that if Denver cuts Flacco and Leary they will have $80M in cap space.  If I am reading it correctly NFL teams must spend around 95% of their cap each year.  I am no salary guru, but if true I would expect Denver to be heavy hitters on the FA market with the ability to sign 4 players around $10M+ annually.  

Yes, I believe that is the case with Flacco/Leary. I think Denver is going to get Simmons re-signed. Probably Wolfe too. They may look to extend some other guys. But I'm expecting at least 1-2 young guys signed who have significant upside.

According to Spotrac we’re at $58.5m before anything happens. As has been said, cutting Flacco and Leary gets us another $20m, bringing us close to $80m. 

I’d have no problem if we wanted to spend $35m of that on Simmons, CHJ and Wolfe. Even after that we’d have more than $40m to spend on other spots. 

Elway has a real chance to improve the roster this year with the cap space and the 12 draft picks. I just hope we don’t screw it up. 

11 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

So would 31 other teams. Besides maybe Brandon Scherff and Anthony Costanzo which OL FAs would be immediate upgrades moving forward? 

Joe Thuney makes a lot of sense to me, builds our line and hurts the Pats (which I'm all for). However I would still look to add more OL help in the draft, add to our core

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Joe Thuney makes a lot of sense to me, builds our line and hurts the Pats (which I'm all for). However I would still look to add more OL help in the draft, add to our core

I just don’t trust anyone the pats let go. Especially one that has had the benefit of (arguably) the greatest OL coach of all time 

So would 31 other teams. Besides maybe Brandon Scherff and Anthony Costanzo which OL FAs would be immediate upgrades moving forward? 

Ya, I am actually pretty good with out OL outside the RG spot. James should be healthy, Bolles will be given another season, Risner is a boss and McGovern should be resigned. 

Sign a few journeymen at OG, draft one in R2/R3 and let them play for the spot. I really dont like the idea of paying another OG 10M+ and the only ones clearly worth shilling our money for will cost that much. I think McGovern should be our long term option at OC, he was quite good last season and it was his first playing meaningful snaps in that spot.