What kind of offense/defense would you personally run?

BleedTheClock

If you were a HC/OC/DC, what kind of scheme would you run?

Mine:

Defense:

I would run an old-school 4-3 Cover 2 base. I would only blitz on 3rd & long out of my nickel package, while only running an occasional SLB blitz off the edge in the base D. Keep everything in front of me.
I would morph into a 3-4 every once in a while and run 2 plays out of it. An all-out blitz and then a 3-man rush with Cover 4 in behind it. Very vanilla.

Offense:

I would run a 2-TE set most of the time on offense. I'd play with a fullback more than most teams too. Power runs and play action shots down the field. As a change-up, I'd have an empty package with jet sweeps and QB runs attached to it. I would use a lot of motion and I'd have a 2-tailback system. One of my RB's would have to be a glorified WR that I could split out a ton. Especially to closed formations to get him in space on a linebacker vs. a man team.

I'm an Atlanta fan, so I don't think it really matters what kind of defensive scheme we put out there, it's going to give up 35 every game. I'm starting to think this franchise isn't allowed to have a good defense. We have a "defensive guru" out there and the results are horrid. Just have some guys that desperately try to get picks/fumbles because it's not like they're going to stop anyone anyway.

On offense, I have a personal affinity for play-action heavy, outside zone offenses ala Kyle Shannahan. Get yourself a quality FB and a TE2 that can catch passes so you can throw out of 2TE sets (we did this a lot during Kyle's run in Atlanta and it was the reason our play-action was so deadly - we could legitimately throw for a 50-yard bomb out of our running sets). If your RBs are good pass catchers, have some 3/4 WR sets where you can lineup the RB as a WR too.

I stubbornly run the same system everywhere I go and never change. I luck out and have a very talented team my first few years that makes my unit look great and gets me a head coaching gig. I get fired after four years but stick around the league as a coordinator for ten years afterwards based on a combination of my earlier success as a coordinator, being a former HC, and nepotism. 

Power running game based on play action and speed receivers would probably be my go-to offense, although the veer offense out of the wing-t is interesting, it likely wouldn't be viable at the pro level.

Defensively I think you need to build around what you have player-wise.

1 hour ago, Hukos said:

I'm an Atlanta fan, so I don't think it really matters what kind of defensive scheme we put out there, it's going to give up 35 every game. I'm starting to think this franchise isn't allowed to have a good defense. We have a "defensive guru" out there and the results are horrid. Just have some guys that desperately try to get picks/fumbles because it's not like they're going to stop anyone anyway.

On offense, I have a personal affinity for play-action heavy, outside zone offenses ala Kyle Shannahan. Get yourself a quality FB and a TE2 that can catch passes so you can throw out of 2TE sets (we did this a lot during Kyle's run in Atlanta and it was the reason our play-action was so deadly - we could legitimately throw for a 50-yard bomb out of our running sets). If your RBs are good pass catchers, have some 3/4 WR sets where you can lineup the RB as a WR too.

I’m a fan of this offense too. It’s what MN is currently running under Stefanski who’s obviously influenced by Kubiak. Rudolph, Smith and Ham get a ton of looks as the TEs and FB yet we’ve hit on a bunch of explosive plays due to having Diggs and Thielen on the outside. Cook was made for it too and has helped open things up off playaction.

I like Zimmer’s defensive scheme but it can have faults if you can’t get reliable front four pressure and have reliable press CBs. Zimmer loves to play it safe in zone and rush four just as much as he does blitz and rely on the secondary to cover. Also, another fault is it can be a very sound scheme in terms of fundamentals which has seemingly reduced the potential for turnovers. But that could just be more indicative of personnel than scheme itself.

Edited by vikingsrule

Bill Walsh's offense 1986. :)

Seriously, I don't know enough about coaching and scheme to even water it down. There is just way too much information involved with the personnel one would have access to. So you'd have to adapt in some capacity regardless of what you wanted to do.

Edited by PapaShogun

Offense:

3 TE, 1 WR, 1 RB 

3 TE to the right side, inline

1 elite WR split out to the weak side.

1 elite  TE, 1 very good TE, and one TE who's a converted OT.

A running QB.

Run the ball 70% of the time, with half the passes coming off PA. Drain the clock.

Defense:

3-3-5 (2 CB, 2 SS, 1 deep FS)  All zone coverage 90% of the time. A mix of Cover 3 and Cover 2 looks.

The 2 OLBs and 2 SSs should be the best/most talented players.

The 2 OLB's are edge setters and pass rushers a lot of the time, with some zone coverage mixed in. 

The 2 SS's need to be very fast, and be top run supporters and zone coverage players. 

The ILB needs to be fundamentally sound and good in zone coverage

The 3 DL should be big and long enough to tie up 4-5 OL.

The FS is pretty much always playing deep zone, with some middle zone or QB Spy to shake things up. He always acts if it's a passing play, and never bites on PA

The CB's are mostly in deep zone coverage, either in Cover 2, or Cover 3 with the FS.

Would love to emulate the Ravens offense. Positions that are really critical to that offense (steady rotation of backs, interior OL, blocking tight ends) can be found for cheap so you can play a little Moneyball here.

Defensively, I love Fangio's scheme. It's not as fun as someone like say Wade Phillips' but it's disciplined, doesn't give up big plays and accounts for everything an offense can do. Cover ground all over the field, rally and tackle. They're going to find a way to stop the run while keeping 2 safeties back (good amount of Cover 4 and Cover 6 that make it really difficult to take shots downfield), so as an offense you need to be able to dink-and-dunk them to death while the back 7 has its eyes on the QB every play.