Matt Stafford ruled out 1-3 weeks with fractured bones in his back

Cheesehawk

6 minutes ago, TimeForChange said:

However, has he been damaged too much at this point?

Matthew will have to do some soul searching and decide if playing more is actually worth it as you noted
Part of that decision will be around playing for somebody else vs staying in Detroit.

But if he is fully committed to playing more, I think he'd have multiple suitors including the bears, bucs as teams that aren't rebuilding and need a QB

12 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

He played through broken bones in his back last season. He's trying to play with broken bones in his back right now. If I'm the Lions, I shut him down. The division is lost. Find some kind of a running game and lose some games, throw your hat into the tank.

That's probably the smart thing to do. I think Stafford gonna try to come back regardless of Detroit's record. He could end up hurting himself more though.

10 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

I feel like you get paralyzed by getting your back broke, but apparently it’s not that big of a deal.

I fractured a vertebrae and wouldn’t have known without the X-ray... not all back breaks are created equal.

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

...and the Lions are going nowhere with Stafford.

The decade long marriage has produced nothing, maybe its time for a new beginning for both parties
Stafford can join Cam Newton on the "available-for-trade"  list.
Cap numbers are not problematic and with 3 years under contract, the Lions should get decent value

https://overthecap.com/player/matt-stafford/1060/

On pace to have made 1 quarter of a BILLION dollars and all the Lions have gotten out of it are 3 playoff appearances and 1 pro bowl season.

14 hours ago, Malik said:

On pace to have made 1 quarter of a BILLION dollars and all the Lions have gotten out of it are 3 playoff appearances and 1 pro bowl season.

That isn't Stafford's fault. Look at how teams like the Colts and the Saints fared when their franchise QB's went down. Look at how the Lions fared against a bad Bears team. Multiply that by 10 years. 

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Shocking to hear the NFL is investigating the Lions for playing games with the injury report. I mean, one would think that a team with a former-Patriot as GM and former-Patriot as Head Coach would operate with nothing but the utmost integrity. 9_9

He was listed as questionable. I don't care about Vegas and the NFL shouldn't either.

Messing around with a broken back definitely sounds like a bad idea.  Probably time to shut it down for the year and get right.

At that point, i do think others are onto something, when they bring up the idea of pulling an Andrew Luck, where if he's not going to be playing on a team that's going to build something contender-worthy around him, is it really worth getting his back broken every year?  He's plenty wealthy...

Quite a few teams that could really use a QB of that caliber though.