This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Mango doesnt taste good to adults?

Haha I coulda have worded that differently I suppose. There's probably some scienc-y answer with regard to their brains still developing and being impressionable etc etc.

I will say I HAVE tried the Mango JUUL and it was tasty. Didn't make me want to go buy one though. 

38 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Haha I coulda have worded that differently I suppose. There's probably some scienc-y answer with regard to their brains still developing and being impressionable etc etc.

I will say I HAVE tried the Mango JUUL and it was tasty. Didn't make me want to go buy one though. 

For sure. I've tried a bunch of em, never had the urge to get one myself. So many girls use them though it's a decent little ice breaker.

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

When smoking a cigarette you're inhaling the smoke that's produced through the process of burning tobacco. 

"Vaping", is using a smoke-free product that forms a vapor that is inhaled. Depending on the "rig", there's a coil that heats up the flavored vapor "juice" and makes it so hot that it creates the vapor. The juice contains varying levels of nicotine and has less harmful chemicals than cigs, but it's pretty new so the long-term effects aren't conclusive really. Save for the people that have died so far.

The biggest issue, IMO is that the e-cig / vape companies are making products that taste good to kids (Mango flavored JUUL pods, for example) so they're basically marketing towards 13-17 year olds.

Thank you for this.  Makes sense.  Not that I"m gonna run out and buy one, just was always curious.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No doubt the tobacco industry is a big part of the group pushing the "vaping is bad" message. 

Most of the world's largest tobacco companies have a vaping subsidiary, so they aren't pushing that message, quite the opposite. Juul and others are also buying tobacco crop from those Big Tobacco companies, so they are the source of nicotine for many of the cartridge makers too. Marlboro maker Altria invested over $10 billion in Juul so they are all inter-connected

There are a number of clinical trials ongoing right now attempting to prove that vaping is "less bad" than smoking, although several of the medical companies involved in those trials have since pulled out. They don't want anything to do with this industry. The World Health Org (WHO) along with the UN and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are pumping serious cash into fighting this scourge. As noted by AG, we don't want to wipe out decades of successful efforts at curbing tobacco use

The FDA is in the process of re-writing the Regs to force the vape companies to comply, but it moves slowly and Congress isn't helping because congressman get HUGE donations from the industry and are tying the FDA's hands and slowing things down. May/June of 2020 is when the new rules kick in

Vaping delivers the payload at a lower temperature, so its a vapor not a smoke. That eliminates some of the nasties from combustion, but not all. Either way, its a direct shot into your lungs and given the lax control of the industry - its ripe for misconduct and profiteering at the expense of your health. The Tobacco/Dope plants are processed using various chemicals and there are a lot of bad actors in that space, using the cheapest method possible to extract the THC, CBD, nicotine, with little or no oversight or quality control.

When you ingest THC or nicotine by eating it, it has to pass through your stomach, intestines and liver before it hits the bloodstream. When you ingest it via smoke or vapor, it bypasses those "cleansing" systems and is instantly absorbed into your bloodstream. That's why the buzz is immediate vs the edibles that take hours to kick in. Chewing it (nicotine gum, chewing tobacco) takes advantage of the sublingual absorption pathway, which is another direct shot into your bloodstream and that's why they treat cardiac patients with an under-the-tongue dose of nitroglycerin; that works within 10 minutes vs a much longer time if you swallow a pill.

Juul and their ilk are under immense pressure right now, they fired their CEO and they are in the cross hairs of the FDA, WHO, FTC and others. Meanwhile they are selling as much as they can as fast as they can before the hammer comes down. And like most things, The Hammer will be constrained by congressmen owned by Big Tobacco and grandstanding politicians who say a lot but do nothing.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/juul-ceo-kevin-burns-to-step-down-11569411372

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The only thing that tastes good to us is:

Steak, whiskey, and overpriced peanuts at a baseball game.  And Nachos.  Everyone loves nachos.

And broken glass and wet cigarette butts. Real man's diet. Oh and sawdust too

• Like 1