This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I want to say that first part but geez does it piss some people off lol.

Just never felt that "into" a show in my life. Just felt like it was real every week somehow.

Almost makes you want to run out and join Jax and his crew.  Kurt Sutter is an amazing writer!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Almost makes you want to run out and join Jax and his crew.  Kurt Sutter is an amazing writer!

The ending of SOA is the most underrated part of the entire show. If you'd seen the entire series, the ending hits harder than anything else in the show...

Edited by Joe

CNN: California Gov. Gavin Newsom passed SB 206, also known as the Fair Pay to Play Act, into law Monday. The law allows college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness. The bill will go into effect in 2023, and if the bill survives the expected court challenges, it could reshape the NCAA's business model.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

CNN: California Gov. Gavin Newsom passed SB 206, also known as the Fair Pay to Play Act, into law Monday. The law allows college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness. The bill will go into effect in 2023, and if the bill survives the expected court challenges, it could reshape the NCAA's business model.

I wish the NFL would just make a AAA league as an alternative to college.  Make them unaffiliated with any team.  Have the same 3 years from high school rule to enter the draft.  They can go to college for a scholarship, or they can get paid significantly less than NFL wages, and not waste classroom time.  After your "junior" season you can enter the NFL draft.

I predict a MLB-like situation that makes USC, Notre Dame, and Texas super teams, while your Utahs, Iowas, and Mizzous are left to wallow in nothing. 

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I wish the NFL would just make a AAA league as an alternative to college.  Make them unaffiliated with any team.  Have the same 3 years from high school rule to enter the draft.  They can go to college for a scholarship, or they can get paid significantly less than NFL wages, and not waste classroom time.  After your "junior" season you can enter the NFL draft.

I predict a MLB-like situation that makes USC, Notre Dame, and Texas super teams, while your Utahs, Iowas, and Mizzous are left to wallow in nothing. 

And college sports?

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If they are allowed to openly pay players, college sports will be even more corrupt than it already is.  

I would just as soon have college sports be openly for profit business vs the charade of the "student athlete" we have today.

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If they are allowed to openly pay players, college sports will be even more corrupt than it already is.  

Would you say that the NBA and NFL are more corrupt as entities as the NCAA? I mean they're all corrupt, but I don't think they're MORE corrupt.

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't think there is any more corrupt entity than the NCAA.  Maybe La Cosa Nostra...

Right, so I feel like if they could be open about paying, and it's regulated and stuff, it would cut down on the corruption. Cut down, not eliminate

So how far down the totem pole does this go?  Just Division 1 or does it go down to Division 2 and 3?  This is a real pail of worms started by the governor of the great state of California.  No wonder over 50% of the people living there have considered moving out.   

On 29/09/2019 at 5:25 PM, Joe said:

The ending of SOA is the most underrated part of the entire show. If you'd seen the entire series, the ending hits harder than anything else in the show...

How old do you have to be to read SOA, and translate it to Shadows of Ahm (basically Baldur's Gate 2).

• Like 2

I cannot believe there are people who argue against a player's ability to be able to profit off of their name and likeness. All of the 4 & 5 stars already go to the same schools, allowing them to make money could potentially spread them out. Go be another 5 star at Alabama or go be a star at a smaller school and potentially make more money? 

Any other person on a college campus is allowed to make money off of their name besides an athlete, it's preposterous. The school paying them is a separate issue with gray area but players should be able to make money from advertisements, autographs, video games or whatever else someone will pay them for. 

Edited by TheBitzMan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, coachbuns said:

So how far down the totem pole does this go?  Just Division 1 or does it go down to Division 2 and 3?  This is a real pail of worms started by the governor of the great state of California.  No wonder over 50% of the people living there have considered moving out.   

If a division 2 or 3 athlete can make money off of their name/likeness, good for them. What is so bad about a free market allowing players to make money? This doesn't say the schools are paying them.