Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

On 11/27/2019 at 8:45 AM, Forge said:

I don't think we get the DPOY, but the only two viable options would be AA and Bosa in my opinion. Bosa has the publicity, which helps. AA has more sacks, but far fewer pressures and disruptions, fewer tackles for loss (though I would say AA is actually the superior run stopper).

Not saying it will or even should but who is the most qualified on this 49ers squad. Looking like it’s Warner or Sherm to this point even with the pass rushers numbers so far

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Kentavius Street, Kevin Givens, or talking Earl Mitchell out of retirement is my guess. Outside chance at Verrett or Dontae Johnson. 

I see them maybe giving Street the nod. But if they're looking more for a plugger because Jones is banged up too, idk. Street isn't a NT. Neither is Givens. The Mitchell angle wouldn't be a bad idea. Not sure what you're getting from a guy who's been out of football for some months now though and isn't actively looking to return. Could be a gamble there. 

Only street FA we could bring in that would probably fit the bill is Bennie Logan. Maybe Muhammad Wilkerson but again, he's not really a NT either. But Lynch hasn't seemed interested in going after guys who were not associated with the team during the off-season and training camp, outside of the kicker. Seems he has preferred to keep it in-house, so to speak, this year to fill holes in the roster outside of the Sanders trade.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

So we opened up the practice window for Street to potential bring him off of IR. Guess we have our answer...

That was the announced plan last week - activate the windows for Street and Verrett this week, though it was doubtful anyone would come off IR. That may have changed with the injuries, but this isn't really an "answer" just yet.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I never really saw the appeal with Exum....but whatever

As a 5th safety/Special Teamer who knows the system and can play either safety position and not be a complete liability, I think Exum has a lot of appeal. Especially as a guy who multiple times this year was not considered one of the top 53 players. That sort of late season street availability is a blessing to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

As a 5th safety/Special Teamer who knows the system and can play either safety position and not be a complete liability, I think Exum has a lot of appeal. Especially as a guy who multiple times this year was not considered one of the top 53 players. That sort of late season street availability is a blessing to me. 

Yup. Last year towards the end of the season, the biggest difference in our secondary play was Exum being plugged in. He's not perfect and he can get beat by talented guys, but he wasn't the liability that Colbert was.