TNF: Steelers at Browns

BleedTheClock

Just now, Troy Brown said:

Than using a weapon against an unarmed guy? Yeah, guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree. I'm not defending Gronk because what he did was absolutely ****ty but there's no way a dirty late hit will be more cowardly, regardless of the outcome, than swinging a helmet at a guy's head. 

White was on the ground facing the other direction. At least Rudolph was facing Garrett. Plus, Garrett had at least one Steeler OL right next to him. 

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Feasible.  Possibly.  My bet is the league takes the cop-out route and leaves it to Rudolph to press charges "if he wants" but lefthandedly suggests it's the league preference that they just be able to move past this as quickly as possible and let the Disciplinary Committee address things.

As a bonafide Mayfield hater, I'm glad one of his less bad performances will be overshadowed by this. I hope it stays in the limelight for a good bit, ESPN is going to be a decent watch tomorrow. Here's hoping the media outrage is severe so the NFL makes a legitimate example of Garrett 

Just now, jrry32 said:

White was on the ground facing the other direction. At least Rudolph was facing Garrett. Plus, Garrett had at least one Steeler OL right next to him. 

White wasn’t willingly engaging in an altercation, Mason was.

That’s the big one for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Oh okay you've changed my mind I didn't see it this way, thanks jrry, you're never wrong, sorry I thought you might be here

Just kidding, swinging a helmet at a dude's bare head will always be more cowardly than a dirty late hit 

4 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I mean.... Garrett provoked Rudolph in the first place. This is wild. It's a fight in sports. You can push and shove and say stupid things and people get involved. I can't believe people are acting like this is some street beef. Garrett tried to beat him with a weapon. Ya'll WILD with these takes, really

No one is defending Garrett at all. Most talking points have just been on whether or not Rudolph was innocent in all this. I understand Rudolph being frustrated and as you stated; pushing, shoving, **** talk between players happens every game. This should have stopped when the two got separated, but Rudolph's ego wouldn't let it go.

Garrett is done for the season and should be paying a big fine; rightfully so. I also see him possibly being required to take some sort anger management class as this isn't the first time this season that he has acted like this.

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:
So, what about Larry Ogunjobi tackling Rudolph who was just standing there with his hands up after Garrett hit him with the helmet? Did Mason not have enough by then?

That also was garbage. Not sure what Larry was thinking and I'd be good with him also getting a fine for that shove on Rudolph.

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

Oh okay you've changed my mind I didn't see it this way, thanks jrry, you're never wrong, sorry I thought you might be here

Just kidding, swinging a helmet at a dude's bare head will always be more cowardly than a dirty late hit 

Garrett took Rudolph's helmet off. He was just attempting to put it back on Mason's head.

5 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Ok...

The point of bringing that up is that the league has an precedent of an incredibly dirty play after the whistle where a guy went after a guy's head (and in that case, actually gave him a concussion) and they only went with a 1 game suspension. The media storm is obviously a lot bigger this time with a prime time game and for whatever other reasons, so they'll certainly go much higher now, but it's going to open them up for questions about consistency.

Edited by wackywabbit

5 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Mayfield sure will have fun game 2. Steelers DLine will be headhunting.

In a way, I kind of doubt it unless they want to escalate the pettiness of all this.  Baker, whether you like him or not, actually handled this well and was blunt, not sugarcoating the expectation that Garrett was going to be suspended for this - not trying to equivocate or justify it or play the "well, they did some bad stuff too" card.  Hilariously, there are people on Twitter trying to bury Baker for not deflecting and not taking up for his "DPOTY" teammate.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

Ok...

The point of bringing that up is that the league has an precedent of an incredibly dirty play after the whistle where a guy went after a guy's head (and in that case, actually gave him a concussion) and they only went with a 1 game suspension. The media storm is obviously a lot bigger this time with a prime time game and for whatever other reasons, so they'll certainly go much higher now, but it's going to open them up for questions about consistency.

I honestly doubt that the Gronk thing would be brought up in most NFL mainstream media outlets, whereas the Brady thing is already brought up consistently by the media when people are being disciplined inconsistently for domestic violence/drugs/etc. This is a much more blatant type of thing whereas the Gronk incident, while dirtier than most late hits, isn't seen as entirely out of the ordinary. 

Just now, The LBC said:

In a way, I kind of doubt it unless they want to escalate the pettiness of all this.  Baker, whether you like him or not, actually handled this well and was blunt, not sugarcoating the expectation that Garrett was going to be suspended for this - not trying to equivocate or justify it or play the "well, they did some bad stuff too" card.  Hilariously, there are people on Twitter trying to bury Baker for not deflecting and not taking up for his "DPOTY" teammate.

Yeah I agree. Refs are going to have a very tight leash on the next game. I think what might be more of a issue will be next year and someone on the Steelers OL deciding to take our Garrets knees 

Browns:

Garrett with the late-ish sack

Garrett ripping off a helmet and hitting Rudolph in the head

Ogunboji shoves Mason to the ground

Steelers:

Rudolph attempts to rip off Garretts helmet and later charges him

Pouncy throws multiple blows

Pouncy kicks Garrett in the helmet as he is pinned down by DeCastro

Here is what I think the punishment will be:

Garrett for the season

Pouncy for 4 games

Ogunboji and Rudolph get fines

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Ok...

The point of bringing that up. Is that the league has an precedent of an incredibly dirty play after the whistle where a guy went after a guy's head (and in that case, actually gave him a concussion) and they only went with a 1 game suspension. The media storm is obviously a lot bigger this time with a prime time game and for whatever other reasons, so they'll certainly go much higher now, but it's going to open them up for questions about consistency.

True, though there are a number of precedents that could be applicable in this case, so they've got several to pick from: Haynesworth, Suh kicking the GB OL (I forget his name, it had a hyphen in it) in the balls after a play was over, realistically they could even go to some of the stuff Burfict did after the whistle (even though that stuff was never head contact, even the Andre Johnson/midget-corner-from-Tennessee-whose-name-I-never-remember brawl.

Edit: Cortland Finnegan.  His name was Cortland Finnegan.  I finally remembered!