Current Running Backs, and Wide Receivers That are Hall of Famers

bigbadbuff23835

9 hours ago, AirMcNair said:

Here's an interesting question...

What would Chris Johnson's chances be? What more would he have to do?

His legs are toast.  Had DJ not gotten hurt he probably would've retired.

You can put his 4-5 year "peak" up against anyone but it's largely forgotten for some reason.

22 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

His legs are toast.  Had DJ not gotten hurt he probably would've retired.

You can put his 4-5 year "peak" up against anyone but it's largely forgotten for some reason.

No playoff success, didn't win MVP in his 2K year, played in a small market. It's not too surprising. 

45 minutes ago, AirMcNair said:

No playoff success, didn't win MVP in his 2K year, played in a small market. It's not too surprising. 

His success is largely forgotten because of how short-term it was. People remember his "2k" year sure, but they remember more about how he fell off shortly after that.

It's probably only Fitzgerald and Peterson with any kind of certainty at this point.

You can obviously make the case for Jamaal Charles for a variety of reasons. I would say Antonio Brown is definitely trending the right direction, and given his consistency, team success, and the team he plays for, he's probably going to make it at one point or another.

RB is going to be so tough to judge during this era. Frank Gore could have a halfway decent chance at getting in, who the hell knows? Although I'd hesitate to call him a lock in any way. He does have over 13k yards 90 career TDs, and 5 time Pro Bowler. He at the very least has a case given some of the RBs in the hall currently.

Terrell Davis just made the HOF. Legacy plays a huge role to the voters.

Behind AP, Beastmode has the next best chance. He was the face of the Seahawks offense, won a ring, been to 2 SB's, made huge plays in huge games, and just came out of retirement to play for his hometown team before they relocate.

Depending on how much success he and the Raiders have this season and next, I could see him cementing his place in the minds of voters. 

11 hours ago, Stevein2012 said:

Jeff Janis, elite WR with borderline elite rushing ability.  Caught a double covered 41 yard jump ball TD over Patrick Peterson and a safety in the playoffs and averaged 20 yards a run against both Houston and Seattle defenses last year.

Wrong thread?

On 9/12/2017 at 9:36 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

What about Marshawn Lynch? Do people believe he will make the HOF?

Definitely an interesting case.  Statistically, he doesn't really have a shot and probably shouldn't.  But it's the Hall of Fame, and he's been at the center of some really big stories and carries a larger than life, highly memorable character.  People may be looking back and remember that time he caused an earthquake, and the time he was just there so he wouldn't get fined...and the team success associated with that phase of his career...and remember it fondly.  It's the sort of "Jerome 'The Bus' Bettis" case, where the fame and uniqueness kind of outstrips the raw numbers.

On 9/12/2017 at 11:22 AM, jyod21 said:

RB's:  Adrian Peterson is a lock.  I think Frank Gore will eventually get in, he'll just have to wait a while.  He's only 580 yards away from being a top 5 all time rusher.  I don't think Lynch has the resume.

WR's:  Larry Fitzgerald is a lock.  Brandon Marshall will be able to make an interesting case.  Guys like Brown, Green, Jones, Beckham are all on the right trajectory, they'll just have to maintain a high level of play and compile.

Yeah.  These are probably the other contenders.  Peterson and Fitz are the locks, with a few current guys tracking reasonably well but far from certainty.  Gore and Marshall are guys who could eventually sneak in years down the line in a weak class...but if they do, they'll find themselves in that unspoken "second tier" of Hall of Very Good players.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:15 PM, AirMcNair said:

Here's an interesting question...

What would Chris Johnson's chances be? What more would he have to do?

CJ2K is another interesting one.  That moniker alone is the kind of powerful branding that can make a HOF pitch resonate with voters.  That was a HOF peak, and you can't just brush that aside entirely.  He was a phenom, with his long-standing combine 40 record and that extremely high CJ2K peak where he was the toast of the league.  Not that longevity is irrelevant, but i think sometimes it's overvalued in these discussions of who will (and should) get in.  Again...it's the Hall of Fame...not the "Hall of most yardage accrued".

Kareem Hunt 

1st player since 1923 to have 5 TDs in first two games

3rd player in history to have two 50+ Yard TDs in first two games. 

Pretty sure he's the first rookie to have 3 Rushing TDs and two receiving TDs in their first 2 games.

"I started my career with a fumble the rest is history...." ;)

RBs I got AP and Frank Gore. People really underestimate Gore's body of work. 13,000+ rush yds, 4.4 career ypc, 16,500+ yds from scrimmage, almost 100 tds, 1200+ yds from sscrimmage for 11 straight seasons, and did it all as an undersized 3rd round pick. I think he's worthy personally.

My next behind him for me is Shady McCoy. He's over 9000 yds(12000+ from scrimmage) with 73 TDs and he's only 29. Plus Shady has that Sanders/Sayers type film that just dazzles you.

I love Lynch but he doesn't have the body of work. But again, like McCoy, he has that film that makes you think, "Man this guy is special."

At WR, I see Fitz and Antonio Brown. Brown could retire tomorrow and he'd get in. His stretch over the last 4 years, 33 combined catches in back to back games, 3 time All-Pro, and one of the deadliest returnmen in the league when give the chance with 5 career TDs on punts and kicks. He also has eye popping film

On 9/11/2017 at 5:50 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Larry Fitzgerald, Adrian Peterson are the only locks. Julio and Brown need about 4 more seasons at their current level to get to the HOF discussion.

At their current level, Im thinking they only need two seasons....with another two seasons of merely being solid number 1 WRs.

Archived