How do you fix the Bengals?

indifference

It wasn't long ago that they had a solid defense, 2rbs, 2wrs, eifert, whit and zeitler, etc....pretty much everything. 

Dalton, as solid as he was/is, falls into that Alex Smith area. You can only keep a full team together for so long.

So undoubtedly find your franchise guy. Doesn't have to be this year. 

There are parts of the team that can rebound, but i imagine aj gets traded.

I'd take the qb, wr and ol early in this draft.

Depending on fa my next concern is speed at cb/lb.

The first step is purchasing the team from the grasps of a family content with mediocrity. It's become clear that establishing a championship caliber team under the constraints of the Brown family is nearly impossible. It's like catching lightning in a bottle. Until the team goes all in on winning, capable GMs won't want to build here, good players won't want to sign here, and good coaches won't want to coach here. You can't fix this franchise until you do that. It's that simple. In the very least it will at least give you a fighting chance, and as fans that's all we can ask for.

Edited by SmittyBacall

The root of Cincinnati's problem is Mike Brown. Even if he relinquished his general manager powers, you'd still be working with the cheapest owner in sports. Hard to buy groceries when you're only given give $5.

Tag and trade A.J. Green. He's on the wrong side of 30 and has missed significant time in three of the past four seasons.

Let Tyler Eifert walk.

Assuming they land the first overall pick, I'd actually put it on the trade block and aggressively demand both a 2021 and 2022 first rounder in the package. I know everyone says go for Joe Burrow, but Trevor Lawrence is worth the wait. I'd still draft a QB relatively high in 2020. Rest of the draft is BPA.

Free agency will be primarily  rebuilding the offensive line.

I'd ride out Andy Dalton in his contract year. If he plays well, tag and trade him next season.

Edited by Elky

29 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

The first step is purchasing the team from the grasps of a family content with mediocrity. It's become clear that establishing a championship caliber team under the constraints of the Brown family is nearly completely and totally impossible.

The other $$- focused owners don't care for Brown because he isn't pulling his weight in terms of growing the game.
Brown is content to be mediocre and keep cashing the checks that they are providing him via their efforts to boost revenue.
At least Charlie Brown was a lovable loser.

Mike Brown is just a loser and that's doubly damning given that Paul Brown was such a winner, an innovator and a pillar of the NFL for decades. Paul's contributions to the game are legendary; from X's and O's to team building to League building.
Paul's fingerprints are all over the modern game and the Cincy franchise could be / should be a reflection of what Paul built

Poor Bengals, they definitely got the Fredo of that family

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

The other $$- focused owners don't care for Brown because he isn't pulling his weight in terms of growing the game.
Brown is content to be mediocre and keep cashing the checks that they are providing him via their efforts to boost revenue.
At least Charlie Brown was a lovable loser.

Mike Brown is just a loser and that's doubly damning given that Paul Brown was such a winner, an innovator and a pillar of the NFL for decades. Paul's contributions to the game are legendary; from X's and O's to team building to League building.
Paul's fingerprints are all over the modern game and the Cincy franchise could be / should be a reflection of what Paul built

Poor Bengals, they definitely got the Fredo of that family

I wouldn’t say impossible. I still believe we win a playoff game in 2015 (we almost did with McCarron) and move on to make some noise the rest of the way. Dalton was playing at a legit MVP-level that year, and the defense was in its prime.

6 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I wouldn’t say impossible. I still believe we win a playoff game in 2015 (we almost did with McCarron)

I wouldn't characterize that as a Champion caliber team, but I won't fight you on it either.
Good luck going forward, I'd be happy to be wrong on this one.
One of my buddies out here is a huge bengals fan, I'm hoping he gets a taste of success soon

But if you can't get out from under Brown, then you're gonna need a Bill Parcells-level HC with the juice to make Brown listen to him.