• Baltimore Ravens
    • New England Patriots
    • New Orleans Saints
    • San Francisco 49ers
    • Kansas City Chiefs
    • Seattle Seahawks
    • Other

16 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

The Foles factor overshadows it, but the 2017 Eagles were dominant pretty much all year. 

Maybe it was Wentz going down, but I definitely remember LAR and NO being looked at as top dogs that year, ahead of Philly. Not going to go to war on that one though, lol. 

I’m not even sure what kind of hype the Hawks got in 2013, I don’t remember that well. I do remember the Saints though. 

8 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Ravens over Cowboys 

Dallas looks like garbage right now but I like their talent come playoff time to overcome their coaching 

Talent is rarely enough to overcome bad coaching

Cowboys don’t have the talent to overcome bad coaching 

• Like 2

Just now, rocky_rams said:

Talent is rarely enough to overcome bad coaching

Cowboys don’t have the talent to overcome bad coaching 

Coaching can overcome talent but I don't think I have ever seen the opposite happen. I don't think this team could beat any of the Seahawks, 49ers, Packers, Saints or Vikings...

I guess the 2011 Giants made a run at 9-7 but this team just looks unprepared week in and week out.

4 hours ago, The Third Rider said:

Coaching can overcome talent but I don't think I have ever seen the opposite happen. I don't think this team could beat any of the Seahawks, 49ers, Packers, Saints or Vikings...

I guess the 2011 Giants made a run at 9-7 but this team just looks unprepared week in and week out.

oh, ya. Wild cards have done their damage. I bet it is rare that the two #1 seeds get in. I just googled it, 13 times, or 1 in 4 about.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:37 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Maybe it was Wentz going down, but I definitely remember LAR and NO being looked at as top dogs that year, ahead of Philly. Not going to go to war on that one though, lol. 

I’m not even sure what kind of hype the Hawks got in 2013, I don’t remember that well. I do remember the Saints though. 

After Wentz went down Yes. Before the injury though it was the Eagles with the #1 ranked offense (dropped to 3rd), a 10-2 record and a Top 5 Defense.

I would fix the commentary about the Ravens that says that they beat arguably the NFC's best team  (at home)

I would say they arguably beat the NFC's best team (at home)  That lame 4th conversion leap out of bounds getting a generous spot was not very decisive or obviously a 1st down.

• There was absolutely nothing of dominance in that game altering play

I can safely make 3 statements.

• The Ravens should be #1 in the power rankings
  • They should be the favorite to win the Super Bowl.
  • Their odds are at 32.6% to win at Football Outsiders which gives the Not Ravens a 67.4% chance to win.

Make that 4 statements.

• The chaotic and pathetic state of refs and reviews has a good chance to change the outcome of a playoff game again this year.

Probably Seahawks/Baltimore with Baltimore winning, but I can't discount the Patriots, cause when you do, they win.

Related question though: when was the last time the regular season phenom actually won the Super Bowl?  Chiefs didn't, 18-1 Patriots didn't...

Edited by DaveDX

What do the 3 teams that beat the Ravens or took the Ravens to OT have in common?

• Some familiarity with Jackson and the Ravens offense.
    • The Chiefs played Jackson and the Ravens last year.
    • The Browns did too.
    • The Steelers did not play Jackson as a starter before, but they faced him last year after he already had 23 runs on film
    • Also division opponents dedicate more time studying the 3 teams in their division then a normal team getting ready for a random opponent.
      • The results don't hold true for the Bengals in November (game 3) but Bungles gonna Bungle.
        • Game 2 in October was surprisingly close

We will know more ahead of time as Pittsburgh(2 maybe*) and Cleveland(3) get another shot at the Ravens.

• There will also be more film on how teams play the Ravens in rematches.

We can be pretty sure the Ravens will face a pair of rematches before they get to the Super Bowl unless Tennessee goes on a run.

Their is a pretty good chance they face Seattle or SF in the Super Bowl if they get that far. (Football Outsiders gives them a combined 48.4% chance to play in the Super Bowl)

That's a lot of rematches for an offense which is at least partly predicated on being unfamiliar.

*Note:  Baltimore could be in a weird situation in week 17 where they can knock Pittsburgh out or possibly face them 2 weeks later.

• Jackson may not play, or they may go at the Steelers full force.
  • I know the Ravens fans at the game will not want to see the team give the Steelers a red carpet to the playoffs

Further Note:  This familiarity is not some form of kryptonite, its just another factor.

• Belichick and Wade Phillips are some of the best of all time at preparing and they still got ran over this year.
  • Romeo Crenell is no slouch either and his team got housed.
  • This is a very talented offense with a line that can run you over. You may be better prepared in the rematch and still get beat by a very good team.