NFL 100 team

3rivers

On 12/17/2019 at 3:03 PM, TENINCH said:

No Cris Carter but Largent, Warfield, Alworth, and Hirsch? I know he's an a-hole but I'd put him in over the rest of those receivers.

Alworth, Largent and Warfield (along with Berry, Moss and Rice) are 3 of the 6 first ballot WR’s. Alworth was the best AFL receivers and probably best of the early SB era. All of Rice’s records he got from Largent, and Warfield was the best of the 70’s and still holds records 

The QB list is going to very controversial. I think that due to folks not taking into consideration difference in era, and all of the fantasy football numbers that are on the brain nowadays, people are going to groan if someone like Rodgers or Brees doesn't make it to one of the final ten slots. Someone on another post elsewhere had a good idea of who is probably going to be considered as finalists. We'll know the real list in a couple of days:

Baugh (on 75th year team)

Unitas (on 75th year team)

Graham (on 75th year team)

Montana (on 75th year team)

Van Brocklin

Aikman

Dawson

Tarkenton

Namath

Moon

Fouts

Kelly

Luckman

Jurgensen

Starr

Staubach

Bradshaw

Elway

Marino

Young

Farve

Manning

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

There might be more finalists, but even with just those guys, it's going to be hard to narrow it down. Which seven would you kick off just from here? I'm thinking the final ten are: Unitas, Baugh, Graham, Montana, Brady, Manning, Marino, Brees, Starr, and Staubach. If I had one more spot after that I'd probably put Van Brocklin on there. Or maybe Dawson.

Edited by PapaShogun

On 12/17/2019 at 6:19 PM, PapaShogun said:

Remember Alworth played before the 1978 rule changes. Defenders were allowed to mug him anywhere on the field at all times, and he still dominated. 

"Cheating" goes both ways, Rice used stickum through his career. Lester Hayes basically dipped his hands in the stuff before every game.

1 minute ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

"Cheating" goes both ways, Rice used stickum through his career. Lester Hayes basically dipped his hands in the stuff before every game.

LOL twue 'dat.

Lester Hayes had that crap all the way up to his ELBOW, for god's sake. And I'm serious! Even with black and white low-def TV, hooked to an antenna and getting bad reception, you could STILL see the stickum LOL. Hayes I think was the biggest abuser. Rice was a little sneakier about it but admitted later on.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:09 AM, Split the Sticks said:

If somebody asked me what the automatics on this list were before I saw it,

1. Jim Brown
2. Lawrence Taylor
3. Randy Moss
4. Jerry Rice
5. Tom Brady 
and yes, John Hog Hannah, Olineman. (here's there, too) 

You're absolutely right with all 5 of those guys, Sticks.  A couple more automatics I might add would have been Walter Payton and Barry Sanders.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 8:19 PM, viper952 said:

Steve and Andre were great but not on this level.

Considering that both of them hit top 10 all time numbers with guys like Jake Delhomme and Matt Schaub as their primary QBs, they absolutely are on that level.

They don't make the All Time team, sure. They should be on the list of finalists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Ok? What does whatever you're saying have to do with Lance Alworth being a dominant WR before the 1978 rule changes and being the most dominant WR of his era?

Edited by PapaShogun