How much do you worry about MM?

pollino14

4 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

It's all situational. I am all for throat stomping up until time becomes as big of a problem for them as you are. Some people don't realize three consecutive runs can actually result in a first down even if the defense knows it's coming.

You mean like what happened against GB at the end of the 1st half vs Seattle?   GB knew the run was coming, Seattle was trying to run the clock out for the half, got the first down and now we have a thread about time management.

12 minutes ago, packerjmf said:

On the red bolded part, I believe that's when Monty went out with his (ankle?) injury. I'm guessing they weren't super comfortable with Williams in there.

That would be weird. Williams fumbled once every 157 touches or so in college. While Aaron Rodgers has fumbled every 80 or so drop backs/carries.

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Given the fact that the Seahawks defense was already heading into the lockerroom, getting Rodgers out there even for what 30 seconds ish? and a couple snaps could have been a quick 7 if it had gone the other day, and we'd be calling it smart.

It was mathematically impossible unless seattle threw an incompletion or otherwise stopped the clock.

9 minutes ago, spilltray said:

given on how GB's D had been playing to that point, them throwing on third down wouldn't have been surprising.

rather than choosing to go to half by taking a knee?  They would risk throwing it with only 40 seconds left on 3rd down and potentially giving the ball back?

46 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Given the fact that the Seahawks defense was already heading into the lockerroom, getting Rodgers out there even for what 30 seconds ish? and a couple snaps could have been a quick 7 if it had gone the other day, and we'd be calling it smart.

That should've been the coaching staffs sign that they were running out the clock.

No I'm not worried about MM however.

The fact remains that MM has played 'not to lose' quite often.  Whether it's defensively or offensively.  Playing 'not to lose' is a mindset and after a while it filters down through the team.

I think MM is a good coach who has been bailed out by the best QB in our generation. (the best, not the winningest) He does a good job of calling plays, but gets conservative with a two score lead.  Greg Jennings was moved to mention it recently and it was easily seen in the playoff game against Seattle.  That 'not to lose' attitude is why we seldom get to relax in the second half of games we should be cruising along.  Maybe the MO is changing though, Marty Bennett made the 'seal it' catch on Sunday when I fully expected another running play.

My main problem(s) is he seems to make it really obvious when we're going to run the ball.

The other one is a lot of the time we don't attack the MIDDLE of the field enough when passing the ball and our routes are a HIGH majority of deep/sideline routes, which take too much time to develop a lot of the times.

These two things have worn on me since MM took over and seem so obvious to me...

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

Coaches are weird. I'm sure there was a game where this strategy worked 5 years ago - we got a field goal - and MM will chase it again every chance he gets. 

lol no now it's time for the overcorrection where we have 3 timeouts and like 2 minutes left but let the clock run.

11 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Were now at 8:21 to play. We've averaged 5 yards per carry this drive. Up 14-6 at their 22 yard line. Well within Crosby's range. Defense is KILLING IT.

At that point they went 63 yards on 8 plays.  15 yards rushing and the rest on 4 completions.  How can you be mad?  They didn't run the ball down the field.  They had 2 6 yard runs and a 3 yard run.  

Yes, his time management can be frustrating at times along with his challenges.  I wasn't thrilled when he was calling time outs late in the first half last Sunday against Seattle.  Why stop the clock for them?  Let them use their TOs and go into halftime tied seeing we get the ball first after the break

Over the years he often has tossed  his red hankie when he shouldn't have.  He does seem to not cherish time outs.

Archived